1.    #1  
    I started to get reboots every 3 or 4 minutes so I rang tech. support who I should perform a hard reset. He said a hot sync would back up everything. I ran a hot sync but the last entry in the log makes no reference to any of the applications that I have installed. I then checked the folder C:\Program Files\palmOne\username\Backup and found files of type "Palm Database File" which seem to correspond to each of my apps. However, they are date stamped 8 Oct. Why is there no backup dated today (17 Oct)?
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by discobay View Post
    I started to get reboots every 3 or 4 minutes so I rang tech. support who I should perform a hard reset. He said a hot sync would back up everything. I ran a hot sync but the last entry in the log makes no reference to any of the applications that I have installed. I then checked the folder C:\Program Files\palmOne\username\Backup and found files of type "Palm Database File" which seem to correspond to each of my apps. However, they are date stamped 8 Oct. Why is there no backup dated today (17 Oct)?
    1. Each app in RAM should show up in that backup folder with a *.prc extension, but some apps will also have one or more associated *.pdb files.

2. Backed-up files should have a modified date the same as the day you backed up. Check date on your PC and palm, they may have been altered somehow. Also, within the Custom options of Hotsync Manager check you have chosen the "Handheld overwrites Desktop" option, and tick the box that sets it to Default.

(of course when you want to restore you need to reverse that option, ie you want "desktop overwrites hh")

For some apps, this procedure wont lead to results as good as using a restore from a dedicated backup app (ie one that b'ups to a SD card). NVBackup is supposed to be the most reliable in terms of restoring everything, and whats more , its free,

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  3.    #3  
    You are right, the applications have .prc extensions and there are related .pdb files. The .prc files are dated 8 Oct. and the .pdb are dated 17 Oct. Any idea why?
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by discobay View Post
    You are right, the applications have .prc extensions and there are related .pdb files. The .prc files are dated 8 Oct. and the .pdb are dated 17 Oct. Any idea why?
    I just did a backup and found that about half of the files (both pdb and prc) I'd backed up yesterday didnt get their modified date change updated, even though in the hotsync log it said that those files had been backed-up. Looking through both lists, its pretty obvious that these non-modified files are ones I have not accessed since yesterday.

Are your Oct 8 files also little used ones?

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.