Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Centro is coded as a 690p in Sprints phone database, at least that's what the screen said when I was getting my phone.
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Current MP Games: Team Fortress 2 (PC), Halo 3 (360)

2.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadpiratedoug View Post
    The Centro is coded as a 690p in Sprints phone database, at least that's what the screen said when I was getting my phone.
    The units they had at digital life said "Treo XXX" on the inside, too.
    Only part of the review I take issue with is that the Palm OS can't handle WiFi. As an owner of a Tungsten C, it handled Wifi just fine. Although the C did have a monster battery. It could be that battery life would ultimately have killed it for them. We need to run these things off fuel cells or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeZ View Post
    Only part of the review I take issue with is that the Palm OS can't handle WiFi. As an owner of a Tungsten C, it handled Wifi just fine.
    I believe the story is that PalmOS cannot both handle Wifi *and* a cellular radio (i.e. more than one radio).
  5.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeZ View Post
    Only part of the review I take issue with is that the Palm OS can't handle WiFi. As an owner of a Tungsten C, it handled Wifi just fine. Although the C did have a monster battery. It could be that battery life would ultimately have killed it for them. We need to run these things off fuel cells or something.
    Sorry, I should have been clearer, as neurocutie is

Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    I believe the story is that PalmOS cannot both handle Wifi *and* a cellular radio (i.e. more than one radio).
    I had a TX for a long time and loved it dearly.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Bought one for my 18 year old daughter. She is in college and needed better contact management and calendaring. She is absolutely THRILLED with it.

I have carried a Treo 650 and then a 700p for years now, and she was never too excited about them. They were too big.
    Great work Dieter

Tks for the review.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Great review. Gave me something to read while I wait for my phone to be delivered. I especially liked the camera comparison.. been looking for something like that.
    Great review as always. Keep up the good work.
    great review, one thing i noticed though is when you mention the tethering, (i.e. phone as modem?) you say the unlimited is 99$ but i'm pretty sure it's 59$ let me know if i'm just crazy and reading things wrong

kevin
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhead View Post
    great review, one thing i noticed though is when you mention the tethering, (i.e. phone as modem?) you say the unlimited is 99$ but i'm pretty sure it's 59$ let me know if i'm just crazy and reading things wrong

kevin
    Hm. I went by the info I found on Sprint's site for my zip code here, 34453.

Hm. Hm. Now I'm seeing $39.99 for unlimited when I go through the motions of buying a Centro.

Hm. Hm. Hm. $39.99 for unlimited seems right...
    Now that's a rare realistic and unbiased review I have read here. Good work!
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I have two theories on the Centro name:
    (1) The $100 price point (100=cent)
    (2) It's aimed at the "center" of the market.

Regardless, I'm really enjoying mine and couldn't go back to the bulk of the 700p.
    Great review.. I held a centro at a sprint store on saturday and loved it as well, It feels great, I was speedy and accurate on the keyboard, and basically its perfect....

The only thing is I wont be able to have one......

Im not complaining though with my plan on Nextel.
    <<For Treo owners, my hope is that using the Centro for the low end means that Palm is about to re-commit themselves to making the Treo a high-end smartphone once again, competitive against giants like the AT&T Tilt and, yes, the iPhone.>>>

I think that was my thought throughout the review..then he basically says it. Yes, this smartphone will be tagged "entry level" given its price. But it also dooms the current Treos because it MOVES the current Treos even below the Centro.

The next Treo still remains what i'm looking forward to.
    Excellent review! Now I want a Centro even more! I guess I'll wait and see if and when one comes out for GSM.
    Well I tell you this: there's certainly a lot of excitement about the Centro with few negative remarks.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 10/16/2007 at 05:41 PM.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Good review indeed... it is interesting that, after a few years of iterations, perhaps the Centro is finally the end-prduct the 600 promised to be when it first came out... a small-ish device that can handle al of your data and voice needs and do it in a pocketable, attractive form-factor.

However I still don't feel this will be Palm's return from the "grave"; if anything the Centro will let Palm go down "with a bang" instead of a flop.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    My old refrigerator did the trick. Kept things cold. Wife wanted a nicer looking one after years of looking at it.

That's the palm OS. Does the trick. Does it well. But people are getting tired of looking at it and want something new. Even taking a vista like approach to old Palm OS (for a new Treo) would be enough in the meantime and just sprucing things up and that's what the Centro is..except they spruced up the physical part instead. What's really needed is just a redesigned OS, new apps, and two versions..one widescreen, one classic. Updated specs. All while keeping it user friendly.

But they need to get that 755p Treo out of there which looks like a joke next to the "entry level" Centro. You don't want to hurt the Treo brand. Palm is on the right path. It just needs to deliver on its "high end" Treo.

Oh and btw..great review. The Centro looks to be enough for a year at least while they attack their real problem.
    Last edited by cardfan; 10/16/2007 at 05:14 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast