Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    On my Treo 700p I use the soft reset feature on Treo Launcher. If it freezes, I don't even bother w/the reset hole-I just take the battery out.
    That's my point. Having to remove the battery can be a pain (and in my case, decreased the life of my protective cases).

Anyway, it's cool if this works for others, but some of us would really like it if Palm would bring back the reset button (plus reset hole).
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    I forgot to comment on the battery door earlier. Honestly, I can't figure out where this complaint is coming from. The door certainly isn't any more difficult to get off than any other Treo I've ever handled, and the Sprint store reps didn't have any problems either. IMO, this is a non-issue.
    I hope your experience turns out to be the more common one. It makes an unfortunate situation a bit more bearable.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Dieter Bohn' review asserts the iPhone does "a better job" in "email, PIM, and productivity." I disagree strongly, especially regarding PIM and productivity.

The Centro, and every PalmOS device in the decade I've owned one, are *far* *superior* to the iPhone in Personal Information Management (PIM). The main reason is Palm's long-standing suppport for third-party applications. This advantage may be negated some time after Apple has released the iPhone SDK next year, but in the meantime the iPhone cannot store personal information like passwords and bank account numbers in an encrypted database such as SplashID, and iPhone cannot store tabular data like detailed inventories of books, films and possessions, automobile maintenance and mileage, or grocery lists with per-store aisle locations, in a database such as SmartList. iPhone does not support journaling software such as DayNotez, outlining with Bonsai, or the many specialized medical, legal and technical information applications.

The native PIM apps are also better on PalmOS than on iPhone: multiple Calendar and Memo categories; full-featured Tasks application that is distinct from the Calendar, has priorities, categories and alarms and yet allows for tasks without specific due dates; cut-and-paste editing.

In short, iPhone does *not* do "a better job" at PIM than PalmOS in general and Centro in particular.

Regarding email, I have not used iPhone enough to comment. The many PalmOS email options, including VersaMail, do the job just fine for me. At least with Palm you have a choice.

Regarding "productivity," what exactly does that buzzword really mean? If the device can't actually hold all my personal information, if it can't separate my personal, work and children's calendars, if it can't even cut and paste, then how can the iPhone allow me to be more productive? Indeed, its better support for music and video is likely to make me less productive!

P.S. Great review other than that one sentence! I'd replace my 650 with a Centro if I weren't on Cingular.
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    I think you misunderstood him. He said the Centro did a better job with email, PIM, and productivity. But that the Iphone blows the Centro away in multimedia, fit, & finish. I can agree with that but would argue the Centro can compete in the audio end with internet radio as an option. Then there's slingbox as well. Of course there's no comparison in what the video looks like because of the difference in screens. But then consider you can record calls, record your own voice, can use speech recognition, download on the fly, etc and the Centro narrows that gap.
    I think the iPhone/iPod is better at audio playback. Just being able to sync your rating of the song back to the desktop and remember to the remove the podcast that I have play automatically blow the door out of my Treo/QNews/Bloglines/pTunes combo.

I also have the smart playlist setup to delete all the video podcast I have played and keep the newest 20 favorite podcast regardless of the play count. Sure I can't delete song on the iPhone but this setup is so much smoother. Ever since I got the iPhone I have tried a lot more new podcast simply because iTunes has made it so painless.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think you misunderstood him. He said the Centro did a better job with email, PIM, and productivity.
    You're right--I apologize. I misread the word "it" in the phrase, "The Centro is not designed to compete against the iPhone and I have to admit that although it does do a better job in a few areas (specifically email, PIM, and productivity)" as referring to the iPhone (which, technically, was the antecedent, but upon rereading the meaning is clear).

Dieter Bohn and I are now in complete agreement--thanks again for an excellent review. Sorry I wasted so many bytes for nothing.
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Is it a buggy resetting piece of junk like the 700p, and less so the 680 and 755? How can it get any rating above a 3 for anything? 64MB, 3 year old slow processor, 10 year old buggy OS, still pretty huge for a phone. Overall it's not horrible, but nowhere near where it should be. Sadly, the horrible buggieness of my 700p turned me off to Palm for good. And no Wi-Fi was unacceptable on the 600p 4 years now. Now, it is beyond idiotic!
    Quote Originally Posted by robguz View Post
    Is it a buggy resetting piece of junk like the 700p, and less so the 680 and 755? How can it get any rating above a 3 for anything? 64MB, 3 year old slow processor, 10 year old buggy OS, still pretty huge for a phone. Overall it's not horrible, but nowhere near where it should be. Sadly, the horrible buggieness of my 700p turned me off to Palm for good. And no Wi-Fi was unacceptable on the 600p 4 years now. Now, it is beyond idiotic!
    I don't disagree with you except that there's no good alternative at the moment. iPhone lacks 3G data, 3rd party apps, and a real keyboard. The newer Blackberries are nice but require very expensive data plans and annoying desktop redirector software (or an expensive enterprise server), have **** for 3rd party software, and their web browser sucks more than Blazer which is hard to pull off. Windows Mobile (nee WinCE) is still a usability nightmare of an OS that I won't consider even though some of the hardware is slick.

That leaves what, Symbian? OK, I'd consider a nice small, open Symbian device with a qwerty keyboard and high-res screen but there aren't any available through SERO (or at a reasonable price through any US carrier).

I'm not wild about the Centro, but I still bought one. I am happy to be upgrading so cheaply to a reasonably-sized phone that can run my important 3rd party apps (chatteremail, handmark scrabble, google maps, pssh,) keep my current address book and calendar with no drama (and uses the same unbeatable PIM interface) and cut my mobile phone bill by $50/mo. I'd like a new OS but that doesn't mean the Centro's not real progress for Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by robguz View Post
    I'm a pretty hardcore WM user, though I used a 650 for awhile too.

I have to say, the Centro is a very nice device. I bought one on the spot after playing with it for 3 minutes. A lady bought one right before me and I saw someone on the train just a couple of hours later playing with one (this is funny since I just saw my first iPhone 3 weeks ago here in NY). I have 3 friends about to jump on Sero and the Centro after I showed them today--it really won them over, where my Moto Q and 700wx never did.

It's fast, small, a great price and can still do more than most devices out there.

I think Palm did a great job with this one. Sure, this is what the 700p, 755, 680 should have been, blah blah. But as an entry-level smartphone, the Centro nails it.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    If the Centro is entry level, then which devices would you consider advanced that still do everything the Centro does?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If the Centro is entry level, then which devices would you consider advanced that still do everything the Centro does?
    Well, the issue here is that POS is "old" compared to newer OSs and hasn't been updated in awhile.

True, the Centro does more than most devices out there, which is the surprise most new people will learn.

But, this is what I really mean: When (if?) Palm's new "flagship" device comes out, it will (or rather should) make this device really look like entry level.

Plus the size, looks and price make it look entry level. A lot of people will never look at a $300+ device.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Well, the issue here is that POS is "old" compared to newer OSs and hasn't been updated in awhile.

True, the Centro does more than most devices out there, which is the surprise most new people will learn.

But, this is what I really mean: When (if?) Palm's new "flagship" device comes out, it will (or rather should) make this device really look like entry level.

Plus the size, looks and price make it look entry level. A lot of people will never look at a $300+ device.
    I agree that the new Linux Treo needs to be very difference/advance.

Centro is entry level but can do what 700p does better.

And before the Centro was introduced it seemed that whenever I was in public I would hear the distinctive Treo Ring Tone. Ever since that started, owning the Treo wasn't so special anymore. (once I was in a mall and saw and saw a three year old running around the mall (near his mon) but holding a 700.)

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    I don't disagree with you except that there's no good alternative at the moment. iPhone lacks 3G data, 3rd party apps, and a real keyboard. The newer Blackberries are nice but require very expensive data plans and annoying desktop redirector software (or an expensive enterprise server), have **** for 3rd party software, and their web browser sucks more than Blazer which is hard to pull off. Windows Mobile (nee WinCE) is still a usability nightmare of an OS that I won't consider even though some of the hardware is slick.

That leaves what, Symbian? OK, I'd consider a nice small, open Symbian device with a qwerty keyboard and high-res screen but there aren't any available through SERO (or at a reasonable price through any US carrier).

I'm not wild about the Centro, but I still bought one. I am happy to be upgrading so cheaply to a reasonably-sized phone that can run my important 3rd party apps (chatteremail, handmark scrabble, google maps, pssh,) keep my current address book and calendar with no drama (and uses the same unbeatable PIM interface) and cut my mobile phone bill by $50/mo. I'd like a new OS but that doesn't mean the Centro's not real progress for Palm.
    Well said - spot on.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    all of a sudden everyone refers to their trusty Treos as big and bulky and are abandoning it for the smaller form factor of the Centro. what ever happened to "it's the greatest form factor out there, it fits best in my hand, i love the screen size, the qwerty keyboard is so wonderful, etc." don't get me wrong, i think it's great that Palm finally gives their followers something to smile about, but it is funny how quickly so many have changed their tune.

cheers!
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    ...what ever happened to "it's the greatest form factor out there, it fits best in my hand, i love the screen size, the qwerty keyboard is so wonderful, etc."...
    Those that used to say it probably still are.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    what ever happened to "it's the greatest form factor out there, it fits best in my hand, i love the screen size, the qwerty keyboard is so wonderful, etc." don't get me wrong, i think it's great that Palm finally gives their followers something to smile about, but it is funny how quickly so many have changed their tune.

cheers!
    The "form factor" is the same: front KB, square screen, rounded back, d-pad. It still feels great in the hand and qwerty KB is still good.

I don't understand how if you like Device A it is somehow contradictory to like Device B.

So if Apple releases the iPhone 2 with improvements, liking the first iPhone is now "funny"?
    Last edited by Malatesta; 10/20/2007 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Yeah, I generally believe that the majority of people who will consider a 755p versus a Centro will go with the Centro -- what's not to like, minus the smaller battery? That, and yes, the keyboard is a matter of personal preference.

Everything else to me (as a former 700p owner who just migrated), favors the Centro.
    And after having owned the Centro for several months now, my feelings reflect your thoughts above. I love the Centro, and find in all these months I've had two resets, and both were directly related to programs I just installed. Once removed, problem solved. Palm did good here, and I'm glad to see attitudes changing by those who have tried the Centro. And this comes from a former 700p user, who hated the constant daily resets, along with all the bugs people complained about. I'm glad I gave Palm another try now. First smartphone I've been happy with for a long time. (I traded a sucky Mogul in for the Centro).
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123