Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yeah, I generally believe that the majority of people who will consider a 755p versus a Centro will go with the Centro -- what's not to like, minus the smaller battery? That, and yes, the keyboard is a matter of personal preference.

Everything else to me (as a former 700p owner who just migrated), favors the Centro.
    Great job on the review.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    However I still don't feel this will be Palm's return from the "grave"; if anything the Centro will let Palm go down "with a bang" instead of a flop.
    I think there's a real danger that the Centro will totally gut the sales of the 755p. And I'd estimate that they'll have to sell 3-5X as many Centro's as 755p's to achieve the same profit margin. Not sure they'll be able to do that -- I hope so... Let's first hope that Palm/Sprint has the smarts to really push the marketing. Then lets hope that Palm can line up the rest of the carriers, both in the US and abroad, to carry the Centro (and its GSM counterpart). And of course, speaking somewhat selfishly, let's hope that Palm did their engineering homework so that reports of resets, instability, bad battery life and bad case design (battery door, etc), don't dampen market enthusiasm...

(why selfishly? cuz if I end up buying one, I want these issues to be non-issues )
    Just depends really. I want palm to spend the money on the next Treo and just see this Centro as a "it will keep em happy enough to give us time" move.

But surprisingly, i think the Centro could be a homerun if they market the key features.
    Useful review, but I really wish you wouldn't perpetuate the "retails at $99" myth. It doesn't, and as you immediately note in a parenthetical, it's $399. If you want to commit to a long contract with Sprint, with a datapackage that will almost certainly run you more than what you've got, you can get rebates up to $300. But it certainly does NOT retail at $99. So long as you and the rest of the tech sites lead with the $99 figure though, you're helping Palm/Sprint hide the real price of the phone from the customer. I'd expect you to be on the customers side, instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacknell View Post
    Useful review, but I really wish you wouldn't perpetuate the "retails at $99" myth. It doesn't, and as you immediately note in a parenthetical, it's $399. If you want to commit to a long contract with Sprint, with a datapackage that will almost certainly run you more than what you've got, you can get rebates up to $300. But it certainly does NOT retail at $99. So long as you and the rest of the tech sites lead with the $99 figure though, you're helping Palm/Sprint hide the real price of the phone from the customer. I'd expect you to be on the customers side, instead.
    Totally agree.

I remember the Total Cost of Ownership push on the PC side. It got the PC sellers to really respond. We need to put forward a TCO comparison for phones, not the marketing department's dream catch phrases.
    Rebate squabbles aside, this really is a fantastic product. I picked mine up yesterday -- the local Sprint store sold out in 2 days -- and have been amazed at the combination of small size, clear and bright display, and much better than expected keyboard. I absolutely agree that this should be a "no-brainer" upgrade for 600 and 650 users, even if (like me) you consider yourself a power user. Personally, I haven't been this pleased with a Palm product's design since the Palm V. Palm got this one very right, folks.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Great & through review!

I can't agree on the case build quality, though. My squeaks and creaks to hgh heaven!
    So how well does it work for gps ? The sprint site indicates it is gps enabled. I think google has some sort of free gps web site for mobile phones (such as the centro ?) and wondered if anyone has used them. If so any chance it speaks directions as you are driving (figured one would have it plugged into a charger at that time) or is it just a basic 'mapquest' type thing that list a page of directions sort of....

Also, what would the url be for google gps enabled phones?
    Thanks for any input
    There's a thread here discussing GPS a bit:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=154182

Looks like you still need to purchase a GPS receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    Great & through review!

I can't agree on the case build quality, though. My squeaks and creaks to hgh heaven!
    Take it back -- it shouldn't do that.
    Just noticed that the back of the phone, on the label with the ESN says Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR. Is this accurate?
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Great review, but one question:

You say, "That's what screen protectors are for, people," but the Getting Started poster inside of the box (apparently) says "There is no need to apply a screen protector. A permanent screen protector has already been applied for you to protect the Centro from scratches and dust."

Could you comment on this? Thanks.
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    what's not to like, minus the smaller battery?

Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    I absolutely agree that this should be a "no-brainer" upgrade for 600 and 650 users, even if (like me) you consider yourself a power user.
    I've got a different power-user perspective. I actually made my 755p LARGER so that I could have more battery life. It was worth that much to me. (Of course, the price difference between the battery types was a factor, as well.)

If the Centro's battery is smaller but has a lower capacity, that's a problem, for me. I already drain the heck out of my 3200mAh battery. Less power is just going to frustrate me more.

Not to mention the unfortunately combination of no reset button AND a hard-to-remove battery door.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I haven't heard of many resets at all on these threads so you may not have to open the PITA battery door much afterall.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I've got a different power-user perspective. I actually made my 755p LARGER so that I could have more battery life. It was worth that much to me. (Of course, the price difference between the battery types was a factor, as well.)

If the Centro's battery is smaller but has a lower capacity, that's a problem, for me. I already drain the heck out of my 3200mAh battery. Less power is just going to frustrate me more.

Not to mention the unfortunately combination of no reset button AND a hard-to-remove battery door.
    I got the Centro yesterday and I will return it in a few days. I wish the size was a little larger. It would be nice if the P were a bit thinner. I will try the HTC Multi Touch in a couple of weeks. When I see what Apple is doing and HTC with their Multi Touch it's dissappointing that Palm is so far behind in hardware design and development of it's software. What happened to the company that released the Treo 600. They are making only feeble attemps to please it's user base. Granted they will sell a few Centro's but where are the tidbits on the the 800W and the (800p)?
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    I haven't heard of many resets at all on these threads so you may not have to open the PITA battery door much afterall.
    Good Luck
    Okay, but it's only been out for a week or less.

Many Treo users have/use 3rd-party software which, in my experience, collectively decrease stability. Of course, we could do without them, but they're really useful.

My 650 didn't have many reboots (that I recall) at first, but they became more frequent over time. The same is true of my 755p.

Having a reset button (not to mention a reset hole in the battery door) was very helpful on my 650. I really miss having that option on my 755p. I'd expect a similar experience using a Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    I got the Centro yesterday and I will return it in a few days. I wish the size was a little larger. It would be nice if the P were a bit thinner. I will try the HTC Multi Touch in a couple of weeks. When I see what Apple is doing and HTC with their Multi Touch it's dissappointing that Palm is so far behind in hardware design and development of it's software. What happened to the company that released the Treo 600. They are making only feeble attemps to please it's user base. Granted they will sell a few Centro's but where is the tidbits on the the 800W and the (800p)?
    Why are you returning it?
    Was it just the size issue? What about the size was problematic - keyboard, grip, etc.?
    On my Treo 700p I use the soft reset feature on Treo Launcher. If it freezes, I don't even bother w/the reset hole-I just take the battery out.
    And I get those resets about every other day.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    a hard-to-remove battery door.
    I forgot to comment on the battery door earlier. Honestly, I can't figure out where this complaint is coming from. The door certainly isn't any more difficult to get off than any other Treo I've ever handled, and the Sprint store reps didn't have any problems either. IMO, this is a non-issue.