Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Pretty good review that compares the Centro VS the Treo 755P. Good read for 755P owners who might be debating switching.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews...6.html?rfp=dta
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 10/15/2007 at 09:28 AM.
    That's the part i don't understand. I'm not complaining at all but a bit puzzled why Palm would sell a BETTER device, more attractive, better software, etc, change the name, and lower the price....while keeping its Treo 755 out there.

Imagine being a salesman on the floor in one of those stores. Having to explain the difference between that 99 dollar phone and the treo will get old..lol Umm..the keyboard and type of memory it takes? But then saying the Centro carries much better apps.

Walmart is finding out now that the cheap model is changing a bit as more retails stores are concentrating on upscale items. Introducing a phone at 99 dollars with that many features will force Palm to do something much better with its Treo line in the future. Then there's the perceived quality of a 99 phone.

I think Palm makes a mistake if they keep with the 99 price tag. It's not like they have terrific marketing, but they're better than that ...that they feel like they can only be sucessful by being the low price leader. Low price usually indicates low quality many times.
    Hmm, I don't find the keyboard difference to be trivial. Anyone who comes remotely close to really using the power of the Treo uses the keyboard a lot, and a keyboard that approaches being unusable (according to that review) seems like a non-starter.

FWIW, I also think the Centro is ugly. World's ugliest dog ugly. I'll take the traditional Treo look and feel any day.

As for the $99 price, don't forget that requires a pricey data plan. In the long run the 755 isn't going to be all that much more expensive.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Let's just say i'm not exactly writing novels on either keyboard..lol True about the data plan (which can be downgraded or is a nonissue with SERO), but consider the apps you'd have to upgrade to on the Treo.
  5.    #5  
    Ive found the keyboard to be fine. it took me about a day to get used to and now its second nature. ANd its alot better looking than my brick 700P or those 755P in my opinion. carrying around a 700P was like carrying around a small pc sometimes. Always had this huge brick in my front pocket ( and no jokes required .)
    Is that a Treo in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?

I like the Centro ... it's nice to look at, ideally small for a QWERTY device, and has better keyboard response than the Q. Besides, I'd rather take narrow and thick than thing and wide.
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Current MP Games: Team Fortress 2 (PC), Halo 3 (360)

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    As for the $99 price, don't forget that requires a pricey data plan. In the long run the 755 isn't going to be all that much more expensive.
    Pricey Data plan? When i looked at it this weekend. With the Pro Data Pack, I am going to pay the same price (or within $5) as if i had Power Vision and Unlimited SMS messaging.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Frydog

Treo 300 ----> Treo 600 ----> Treo 650 ----> Treo 700p ----> whats next???

www.lostorder.com (Gaming)
    www.big-hump.com (Hashing)
    cant be worse than the suretype Pearl units! I have been using the Pearl for a year now and type faster than my qwerty amigos

It's just a matter of getting used to something - thats all - I'd rather have the small form factor than huge keyboard.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I definitely prefer the Centro. I think it looks way better than the Treo (I don't like the Treo's bevelled buttons or concave D-Pad). And it's the first smartphone I've had since the i500 that I can comfortably leave in my front pocket.

I also prefer the Centro's keyboard to the Treo's. The denser key spacing results in less lateral thumb travel, so I actually find myself typing faster on it than the Treo, and the plastic membrane provides more traction, so my thumbs are less likely to slide onto neighboring keys, improving the accuracy. Since the keys are convex moldings on a membrane rather than individual components, there are no gaps, so there's no chance of liquid, dust or other particles lodging themselves in crevices.

Due to provisioning complications, I haven't had a chance to test the voice or data usage yet, but I assume they're the same as the 755p. One pleasant surprise is that the camera finally has a "Fit to Screeen" View option, so you can view an image's full composition instead of being limited to the cropped view of post-600 Treos.
    Last edited by Gameboy70; 10/15/2007 at 11:08 AM.
    The Centro leaves me no pocket bludge. Fits great in hand, and yes, the keyboard takes a few days to get used to.

The cost of materials is cheaper, hence the ability to have nearly the same device, but cheaper.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    I definitely prefer the Centro. I think it looks way better than the Treo (I don't like the Treo's bevelled buttons or concave D-Pad). And it's the first smartphone I've had since the i500 that I can comfortably leave in my front pocket.

I also prefer the Centro's keyboard to the Treo's. The denser key spacing results in less lateral thumb travel, so I actually find myself typing faster on it than the Treo, and the plastic membrane provides more traction, so my thumbs are less likely to slide onto neighboring keys, improving the accuracy. Since the keys are convex moldings on a membrane rather than individual components, there are no gaps, so there's no chance of liquid, dust or other particles lodging themselves in crevices.

Due to provisioning complications, I haven't had a chance to test the voice or data usage yet, but I assume they're the same as the 755p. One pleasant surprise is that the camera finally has a "Fit to Screeen" View option, so you can view an image's full composition instead of being limited to the cropped view of post-600 Treos.
    Spoken like a true design engineer. ;-)
    One pleasant surprise is that the camera finally has a "Fit to Screeen" View option, so you can view an image's full composition instead of being limited to the cropped view of post-600 Treos.
    My 650 has this - you can press down on the D-pad to zoom out to full size or up to zoom in to 1:1 size.

On another note I hope they release the GSM version in white/silver like the 500V.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    You're right. I just realized that the Fit to Screen view is on the 755p too! It doesn't look as good, though, due to the 1 pixel border around screen.
    dont you guys miss the bigger screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    The consensus seems to be that the denser pixel layout on the 0.2" (5mm) smaller screen compensates.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    i think they're just happy that it isn't so big and still gets the job done.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    as far as screen size, I was happy with the i500 screen size. But then that's why you'll have an option between the 755 and the Centro if that difference in size really means something to you. Funny how the memory difference hasn't been mentioned by anyone in quite a few days now which is really the one big difference between the two.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    The extra memory on the Centro is huge. Bye, bye 755p.
    Don't you have that backwards? The Centro has half the RAM of the 755p and 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    The extra memory on the Centro is huge. Bye, bye 755p.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  20.    #20  
    The Centro has more usable Ram. The 700 and 755 both have 60MB usable Ram and the Centro has 64MB usable Ram. The centro has 4MB more usable Ram. Not alot but it is more.

You can go here to compare

http://www.palm.com/us/products/reso...martphone.html
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast