1.    #1  
    OK so I have one of the first batch of 650 units (hardware Rev A) and have been using it till yesterday when I got the Centro. Here are some initial impressions for those of you who may be considering the upgrade:

Pros:

* Screen is amazing. It is so much sharper and crisper than the 650. Definite improvement.
    * Bluetooth 1.2 and improved range. Know more pops from the WiFi at home so I can actually use the BT in the house.
    * Keys feel much better. They are softer, grippier, and once I spent some time with the keyboard I could type as fast as on my 650.
    * Size and weight are a huge improvement and the only reason I upgraded to another POS device. Build quality seems very good.
    * Speakerphone, earpiece, and mic are much improved. People can hear me better and I can hear them better too.
    * Software provide with device is good. PocketTunes Deluxe, DocsToGo10, Sprint mobile mail (this is working better than Versamail right now), Sprint IM (its not to bad for free and I know there is better). Decent considering what the 650 had.
    * Camera is usable in lower light conditions and takes decent pictures. Much better than the 650s VGA. Will try to use it in very low light conditions soon to see how low it can go.

Cons

* ****FIXED Vision Plan Error See posting below**** Getting a data connection is slow. I am probably going to have to call up Sprint on this one. It is taking forever to connect to Vision, seems like it has to fail once then it will try to bring it up again and work. My 650 would connect right away, the Centro for some reason is taking a minute plus. I wonder if they have to adjust something with my account since I went from a non-power vision to power vision (grasping at straws at this point).
    * More lag than I had with the 650. You would think after having the same OS now for years that they get less laggy. Probably will get fixed in a future update.
    * Versamail 4.1 doesn't seem to work worth a damn. It doesn't want to bring up the data connection properly, and it doesn't show a real progress bar just some spinning circle that you don't know if the mail is being downloaded or not. I so far can only get the Sprint Mail client to work reliably. I hoped it would improve, but I could at least get my mail reliably and respond with v3.1.
    * Stylus is a joke. It is basically the equivalent of a coffee stirring straw in the shape of a stylus. I hardly ever used the stylus before on the 650, but at least use a plastic that won't flex so much.
    * Battery door is a PITA. Watched the techs do to and they had a problem getting the door on. Getting the door off is even harder. Hope I don't have to reset often.
    * Screen size. This is a tough one, I love the way the screen looks, and I love the size of the Centro, but I used to be able to touch the battery icon on the 650 with my finger and get the current battery %, now it takes multiple attempts and contorting of my fingers to get it to come up. Tradeoff and I can deal with it. An easy fix would be for palm to switch the phone signal strength and battery icon to get the battery away from the edge.

Overall I love the feel of the device, but bet that like with all the Treo line we are going to have to see a couple of updates to get some issues resolved. I hope the I get the data thing resolved soon too as it really isn't any faster than my 650 and won't connect reliably.
    Last edited by lnichols; 10/15/2007 at 08:30 AM.
    From your description, it seems Palm has done done a lot of under the hook improvment that doesn't show up on the spec sheet.

Yeah Power Vison EVDO is very fast on my 700p, you may want to call Sprint to check that.

As for battery %, I use the "iTune" skin for pTunes, it shows the battery %. I can't hit the battery icon with fingernail on my 700p either.
    well done and very informative. can you add any comments regarding battery life?
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    well done and very informative. can you add any comments regarding battery life?
    Battery life is lower than the 650. I had to charge the phone twice yesterday, once for the initial, and once in the evening. I got it down to 45% and was planning on calling more in the evening, now I was trying to get the data working better and made a 1 hour phone call. I will have to get some more time with it to know how it is working. I took it off the charger this morning at 5 AM and it is already down to 79% at 7:41 AM, but I think it is because it is connecting (or trying to connect) to vision constantly. I am going to turn off the sprint e-mail client and see if that stops the drain. I have played with it a little, but no phone calls on it yet today.
    More lag than I had with the 650. You would think after having the same OS now for years that they get less laggy. Probably will get fixed in a future update.>>>>

I have no confidence in that after the 700p.

But I had been hearing people say less lag and a zippier performance altogether. That's concerning.

The power vision thing hopefully is just a bug YOU are having right now. If i were you, i'd swap phones to be sure. Obviously, you're not going to want to put up with that..

Stylus is a concern for me as some use it more (me being one of them). I'm sure a third party will address that need hopefully.
  6.    #6  
    Got the data fixed. My vision was the $5 vision. Had to upgrade to $15 power vision, and reset the Vision provisioning. Now it is flying getting the e-mail and web. Hopefully this was causing some of the lag too, because it looked like the lag occured mostly when the green arrows were on.
    Yeah, I think you'll find that with Power Vision, the Centro flies, and lag rarely happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    Got the data fixed. My vision was the $5 vision. Had to upgrade to $15 power vision, and reset the Vision provisioning. Now it is flying getting the e-mail and web. Hopefully this was causing some of the lag too, because it looked like the lag occured mostly when the green arrows were on.
    I had the same problem. At first my Centro would connect to Vision but it seemed abnormally slow compared to what I was used to on my 650. Eventually it stopped connecting and I called Tech Support who told me I had to pay the additional $5 for Power Vision because the Centro wouldn't work with the older Vision plan.

Didn't really mind paying the extra $$$ because Power Vision does seem to be much faster. So I'm happy.
    Anyone using PDA NET and can you connect at power Vision Speed ??TIA
    I also upgraded from a 650 to a Centro (been with Palm since the Pilot 1000).

I also ran into problems with the new Versamail (details at this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=154503.

I guess I'll switch to Sprint Email, but it says in the manual that it doesn't support SSL (which my SMTP server needs to send mail). I hope they patch Versamail soon.

Also, the new Versamail seems to download email a lot slower than on my 650...
    I also came from the 650 to the Centro. Here are my thoughts regarding some of your points:

• "More lag ": I have seen the opposite. The Centro is very zippy compared to my 650. I wonder if your problems were related to it trying to get a data connection all the time?
    • "Versamail": Can I recomend the best email client you will find for the Palm OS. Check out Chatter Email. It was developed by a 3rd party and recently bought by Palm. You will find a ton of great feedback regarding Chatter here on TC and elsewhere. It's free to try it (no I don't work for Palm).
    • "Stylus": I agree. It's flimsy. But I rarely use it and so I'm glad it's light weight.
    • "Battery door": It is a PITA to remove but if Palm has a stable device here, I won't have to remove it very often.
    • "battery icon": Get KeygaurdTime+ and you can press and hold a button at any time to pop-up the status of the battery and everything else
    Last edited by scheumanrj; 10/18/2007 at 11:30 PM.
    scheumanrj: i just tried Chatter Email (v3.0.9, updated for the Centro) for the first time and totally agree. I got everything up and running with no problems.

I like the features and UI a lot so far. Plus, it downloads WAY faster than Versamail was downloading.

On the "lag" issue, this is my first EVDO phone so I don't totally know how fast it should be. Based on the posts here, I called Sprint and had them reset my Power Vision provisioning (figured it couldn't hurt).

I have seen a different kind of lag: a delayed response in the screen UI. I see it in Contacts, when I add a new Contact. After I hit the "done" button in the bottom left corner, it doesn't seem to respond. So I hit it again, but it turns out both clicks "register" (the Centro is just slow). So when the first click on "done" finally goes through, the screen navigates back to the Contacts list view. Well, the "New Contact" button is right where the "done" button was, so the 2nd click registers as a click on that button, and you end up in a crazy loop. Very odd.

I just confirmed that this doesn't happen on my old Treo 650. Seems like there's a performance bug in the Centro's "New Contact" code.
    The lag in the contact app has been there so long now for me (since the 700p anyway) that I forgot what it used to be like. It's really terrible how the PalmOS has gone from lightning fast and ultra-stable in 1996 to crud bloatware in 2007. What a shame.
    What happens if a call is coming in while you are surfing the web on the Centro? This to me is a big problem on the 650, as the call would go to voice mail.
    EVDO has "ring through" enabled by default. The data connection will pause for a voice call/text message and continue after the the calls is ended. While not perfect, it is better at it than the 1x radios of the past. I have rarley missed a call while using data and I watch my slingbox allot...
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffnician View Post
    EVDO has "ring through" enabled by default. The data connection will pause for a voice call/text message and continue after the the calls is ended. While not perfect, it is better at it than the 1x radios of the past. I have rarley missed a call while using data and I watch my slingbox allot...
    That will work for me. Thanks.