Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    This is a very old bug, and a peeve of mine as well. Worse, you will find your online status will not always be correct, too.
    I noticed that! How annoying, right? And I'm still bugged (no pun intended) by the fact that Causerie won't distinguish a person as actually "online" versus "mobile". Grrr.
    Also not a surprise. Support used to be very quick with "the developers will get back to us" replies, but even those seem to have stopped now.
    Yes, seems to be the case...which makes me hesitant to drop a dime on their app, even though I'm still happier with Causerie than I ever was with IM+. It has some really cool options, and my top 3 favorites are:

1. "Always-on" SMS-enabled option keeps my battery and resources up and running a lot better

2. Adding people to your "Favorite" list puts them on top of the entire contact list, so you can eye-ball their online status a lot quicker.

3. Chatting is a cinch on this app; it's quick, typing does not lag (unlike IM+), and emoticons, etc. all seem to work like a charm.

Why won't they keep up with the development of the application so I can buy it already?

My concern with switching to Mundu is that I don't see it preserving battery resources through a background-run SMS-enabled connection.

My trial run with Causerie ends on Jan. 2nd, 2008 (wow, 2008 already?!)...but I'm still not sure if I want to spend the money if the Mantra Group is not even responding to our emails. I might have to give Mundu a try at that point, like it or not. Too bad VeriChat died.

Holly
    I just read about Chatopus, a Palm chat client. Has anyone used it? What did you think?

http://www.chatopus.com/index.html

Holly
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyDolly View Post
    I just read about Chatopus, a Palm chat client. Has anyone used it? What did you think?

http://www.chatopus.com/index.html

Holly
    For me, when I have to use another IM, it'd be IM+, and failing that, Chatopus. However, Chatopus is very hard on the battery (10%/hr) and it's jabber-only. So you have to set everything up in a PC Jabber client first, then connect in with the Chatopus client. It's not difficult, but it's not as simple as just entering the info for each IM like you are probably used to. Plus you have to find a Jabber server which supports all the IM's you use (Yahoo, AIM, MSN, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    For me, when I have to use another IM, it'd be IM+, and failing that, Chatopus. However, Chatopus is very hard on the battery (10%/hr) and it's jabber-only. So you have to set everything up in a PC Jabber client first, then connect in with the Chatopus client. It's not difficult, but it's not as simple as just entering the info for each IM like you are probably used to. Plus you have to find a Jabber server which supports all the IM's you use (Yahoo, AIM, MSN, etc).
    Ooo, thanks for that info. I didn't realize that it involved all that. My free trial for Causerie is over today, so I'm going to try Mundu. Then I have to make a decision...

Holly
    Mundu is not working for me. It's already reset my treo 3x in the past 1.5 days and that's annoying. It's also missing other features which I like on the other palmwares I've tried so far. So it's either Causerie...or bust. Darn it.

Holly
  6.    #66  
    Mundu is not working for me. It's already reset my treo 3x in the past 1.5 days and that's annoying. It's also missing other features which I like on the other palmwares I've tried so far. So it's either Causerie...or bust. Darn it.

Holly
    Um yeah, Verichat or bust.. :-/ Sucks.
    How about jive talk? Oh sorry for blackberry only! Haha!!
    How about a platform where apps can't crash a whole device?
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    How about a platform where apps can't crash a whole device?
    If you know one, don't be holding out.

I did not like Mundu. While the idea behind is a good one, there are many obvious features missing from it. Also, it kept disconnecting and reconnecting in background mode. Beyond that, its set up and functions were not practical (too many to list). It might work for some, but I draw the line at my Treo being reset whenever I try to go to someone's background message.

Causerie was okay, not bad in many ways. One of the things I didn't like about it is that when I'd click on it to bring it to the foreground on my Treo, some contacts would show as "online" (identified with their handle in bold), while they were really "offline". I'd have to log in/out again to refresh the contact list. Other than that, their customer service didn't respond to me about whether they were going to keep this plamware in development...so I don't know what that'd be like if there creeps up a problem (which inevitably, it will) and they're non-responsive.

Verichat, of course, was the coolest. But seems like that one is long gone...so unless someone revives it or hosts it on some server (I read somewhere online that someone was trying this...), that leaves IM+ (I still didn't like this one)....or some jabber-based palmware, which is a bit too much work for me.

*sigh* Yea, kinda stuck with this set-up...

Holly
    If you know one, don't be holding out.
    Well, honestly I think that WM and Linux variants are highest on the list now. WM kills it for me usability wise -- I've been amused by the recent trend to make it more tappable by a few developers, ala iPhone. There are a couple of Linux units that have caught my attention, but I think I'm holding out to see what happens in iPhone land when the SDK gets unleashed. I half expect that it's community is already poised to match WM in record time, if only they had a legitimate way to get their apps on it without having to hack it like crazy.

I did not like Mundu. While the idea behind is a good one, there are many obvious features missing from it. Also, it kept disconnecting and reconnecting in background mode. Beyond that, its set up and functions were not practical (too many to list). It might work for some, but I draw the line at my Treo being reset whenever I try to go to someone's background message.
    PM me and I can email you the latest beta copy of 4.1 I have. It addresses all the background connection loss and re-connection issues, which was one of my biggest frustrations. It isn't really a functionality release, though, so I can't help you there. One of the biggest things I miss from my Verichat days was getting email copies of all my chat logs, so that I could save them for later; Mundu has something that purports to put log text into Memo, but I find it doesn't work all that well.
    Friggin MBA's... they think they rule the world, they just ruin it. I've never seen worse effects of a group of so called educated people than the consultants and MBA's that think change has to happen just for change sake. hillary and obama tambien.
    Treo 650... 2 broken screens, doesn't sync well, and a jacked up audio jack, but it's still better than anything i've seen so far.
    is verichat still dead? my connecrtion stopped
    Blessed beyond measure!
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    totally. no reports of vital signs anywhere for months now.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  14.    #74  
    ermmmmm.. Of all the Verichat threads, this one is dug up from 2003???
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    ermmmmm.. Of all the Verichat threads, this one is dug up from 2003???
    <moved>
    Dead and buried.

How ridiculous is this whole situation, really?!

Here we had the undisputed best IM application on the market for pdas and some company seizes rights to it and promptly kills it, leaving nothing to replace it!!!

Staggering. What did nokia gain by simply crippling our texting experience like this? Its not like we are going to switch to nokias!!!

What a completely asinine move. Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    Dead and buried.

How ridiculous is this whole situation, really?!

Here we had the undisputed best IM application on the market for pdas and some company seizes rights to it and promptly kills it, leaving nothing to replace it!!!

Staggering. What did nokia gain by simply crippling our texting experience like this? Its not like we are going to switch to nokias!!!

What a completely asinine move. Seriously.
    Originally Verichat was a consumer/end user platform. Intellisync purchased the rights to the technology to incorporate into their Mobile Sync platform to easily integrate IM on devices. Nokia came along and purchased Nokia and wasn't the least bit interested in the consumer market for the software, only the enterprise market. Thus the consumer server got the axe and plenty of people are complaining. On the flip side, if there was a good market for IM app's on Treo's I think there would be more competition. Maybe the next platform....
    Interesting, rsprouse. It appears as if we are collateral damage then.

Well, as you've said, hopefully an IM application with the smooth capabilities of verichat will be embedded into the next OS. The sprint IM program should be removed.

I used to really enjoy verichat on my treo. It was easy and flawless. What a shame.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234