Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 78
  1. #41  
    I thought we weren't going to talk about it and jinx it...
  2. #42  
    I can just see two different folks wandering by the server.

    Person 1: "!#$!%~ They were supposed to shut this down by now"

    Person 2:"$#%#$^ A**hole! Why does he keep killing my IM!?"

    But the corporate bots spoke a year ago. I view this as the last few gasps for air before Person 1 gets tired of Person 2 and heaves the server into a dumpster.
  3.    #43  
    STOP IT! We talked about this! Perhaps that was the other thread.. *crosses fingers*
  4. #44  
    *chuckle* It will happen... I know it will. Enjoy it while it lasts.
  5. wzl
    wzl is offline
    wzl's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    #45  
    I found a deep link to renew last year and successfully renewed my verichat subscription on 12/27/06.... crossing fingers.
  6. #46  
    yeah I heard about that link but when I went there it disappeared. Mine still works though!
  7. #47  
    I'm reading all these posts about VeriChat dying and I'm SO disappointed. I've tried IM+ and hated it...muy problems. I haven't tried Mundu yet but I don't love it. And it seems Causerie is not doing updates on their software?

    So I dl'd a trial version of VeriChat and I love it, except I can't connect to their server; get the "Recovering From Connection Failure" and error 3000 code on there. I'm assuming this is due to its death?

    How come some of you are still able to get on? I'm having Application envy. Let's hope VeriChat will be back on cuz the rest are so sub-standard.

    Holly

    P.S. This page (http://causerie.mantragroup.com/prod...m/download.php) says that Causerie still develops the product. Is that true? If VeriChat's 'always on' option is really gone cuz of the dead app and server, I might try Causerie....
    Last edited by HollyDolly; 12/18/2007 at 02:53 PM.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyDolly View Post
    This page (http://causerie.mantragroup.com/prod...m/download.php) says that Causerie still develops the product. Is that true? If VeriChat's 'always on' option is really gone cuz of the dead app and server, I might try Causerie....
    Well, I'm tempted to say "don't waste your time," but maybe you'll find you like Causerie as it is. If you were expecting new releases from them, then I would definitely say don't bother. I switched to Causerie from Verichat when I was still on my 650 and they hadn't bothered to update it in the year after my original purchase. After the first year of Causerie was when I switched to Mundu. Recently, I went back to the MantraGroup forums to inquire what the status was and whether there had been any recent developments. Not only had there not been any, but I didn't even get the usual canned response from support saying that things were in the works. I think it's dead, Jim.

    Again, if the product as it is suits you then great. But don't expect any development support from them.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Well, I'm tempted to say "don't waste your time," but maybe you'll find you like Causerie as it is. If you were expecting new releases from them, then I would definitely say don't bother.
    I dl'd Causerie and it's "ok". I don't love it like VeriChat, which looks a lot more fancy and has lots of preferences, but so far (last 2 hours), Causerie has been running in the background. It also allows "SMS enabled" mode so that while it runs in the background, it prevents battery drain. I dunno how that really helps the battery, but I enabled it just to see what happens. Other than that, Causerie allows for toggle view of buddies, allows you to add two accounts per provider (i.e., if you have two Yahoo accounts, etc.), and lets you add skins to make it all purty. Thing is, I have yet to try chatting with the thing to know how I feel.

    Besides that, I am concerned that if I end up paying for the one-year service, they won't develop the application further and I'll be stuck with a dud (esp. if Palm puts out updates for the Treo and it conflicts with Causerie).

    Visually, I still prefer VeriChat. What's annoying about ALL the chat apps, however, is that none of them distinguish someone as being "online" if they're on mobile or actually at a computer. How hard is it to put a little phone icon for mobile users? I know, there is always something to complain about...but unless VeriChat is revived, I might stick with Causerie. I hear Mundu doesn't do the "always on" thing. That is annoying, too.

    Holly

    And, P.S. What kind of a name is "Causerie"?!
  10. #50  
    I'm sure many of you have already written the Mantra Group and asked about their development status...with no response from customer support. I just wrote them as well and, who knows...maybe the squeaky wheel will get the grease. Their online support is supposed to be until 7 p.m. EST, and they were offline already (2:15 p.m. PST/5:15 p.m. EST). Nice.

    I'm not about to pay any mulas to a company that won't stand behind its product and...oh, btw...their website very clearly states, "No refunds". We'll see how it goes, but Mundu might be next on the list to try...

    Holly
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyDolly View Post
    I hear Mundu doesn't do the "always on" thing.
    It does, and that's how I use it (v4, btw). I'm not sure it does SMS, but it definitely does data-based always on.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    It does, and that's how I use it (v4, btw). I'm not sure it does SMS, but it definitely does data-based always on.
    Oh yeah? Well there's a plus for Mundu (and it's free, right?). I did see a cool thing happen with Causiere a bit ago...I turned it off so that I could turn on my Trillian on my laptop. And shortly thereafter, I got an SMS from Causiere saying that I had signed on from another location onto AIM. Cool. At least that works.

    I'm still quite annoyed that it won't show you the status of a person. What about being "idle" or "mobile"? Those things are important to some of us.

    I do like VeriChat a lot. Causiere seems to be okay so far, and if it was free, I'd stop complaining already. But seeing that it charges you annually, I want the most bang for the buck. Does anyone know for certain if VeriChat is already dead and buried? Cuz if it is, I'll (sadly) delete the app from my Treo. If there's a revival...well, when?

    I'm going to try Mundu next...and looking at the screenshots page, it looks like it does a bunch of stuff: http://messenger.mundu.com/screenshots/palm/

    Holly

    Just found out that Mundu is not free, but charges a one-time fee of $11.00 for lifetime use. Okay, that's not bad...but let's see how it works.
    Last edited by HollyDolly; 12/18/2007 at 08:04 PM.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyDolly View Post
    I'm reading all these posts about VeriChat dying and I'm SO disappointed. I've tried IM+ and hated it...muy problems. I haven't tried Mundu yet but I don't love it. And it seems Causerie is not doing updates on their software?

    So I dl'd a trial version of VeriChat and I love it, except I can't connect to their server; get the "Recovering From Connection Failure" and error 3000 code on there. I'm assuming this is due to its death?

    How come some of you are still able to get on? I'm having Application envy. Let's hope VeriChat will be back on cuz the rest are so sub-standard.

    Holly

    P.S. This page (http://causerie.mantragroup.com/prod...m/download.php) says that Causerie still develops the product. Is that true? If VeriChat's 'always on' option is really gone cuz of the dead app and server, I might try Causerie....
    When did you try IM+ ? Was it very recently? Their version 3.1 is NOT HALF BAD, but it's not nearly as good as VeriChat.. But for me, it's been the best alternative. When I have to, I'll probably go back to it.

    It doesn't reconnect as well as I'd like it to, and it reconnects very often, but better than Mundu which never reconnected for me.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    When did you try IM+ ? Was it very recently? Their version 3.1 is NOT HALF BAD, but it's not nearly as good as VeriChat.. But for me, it's been the best alternative. When I have to, I'll probably go back to it.
    I tried it 3 days ago. I wrote a brief review on it, so I'm pasting it here:

    I just tried the IM+ trial version on my Palm 700p. Here are the issues I noticed: slow typing, no text wrap, if I'm set on invisible on my AIM, it shows me as offline to others, whereas on other chat applications, it shows me as "mobile"...which I prefer. The rate of IM exchange is really slow, and the phone resources (e.g., memory, battery) are used up rather quickly. On the plus side, you can connect to multiple chat clients at once, it uses proper emoticons, you can have multiple conversations (albeit, it's quite slow switching between tabs/windows), and you can have the program on in the background, so anyone can IM you at any time. For all the pluses, it's a great program. It is, however, far from perfect and needs a lot of tweaking before it could get a definite "buy" from me. I'm especially concerned with the slow typing speed and the resources used up. Furthermore, you don't get access to your Palm on-screen keyboard, so you have to use the Alt tab to pull up a menu for symbols (though this could be true of other mobile chat applications). I'd give this program a 2.5 out of 5.0 for speed and user-friendliness, but a 4.0 for innovation and access to multiple chat clients. However, while I'll continue to try out my trial version for the next few days, I'm weary about buying the application for the $29.99 price tag.

    So are some of you still able to be on VeriChat and connect to their server? What's the final news on that app?

    Holly
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyDolly View Post
    I tried it 3 days ago. I wrote a brief review on it, so I'm pasting it here:

    I just tried the IM+ trial version on my Palm 700p. Here are the issues I noticed: slow typing, no text wrap, if I'm set on invisible on my AIM, it shows me as offline to others, whereas on other chat applications, it shows me as "mobile"...which I prefer. The rate of IM exchange is really slow, and the phone resources (e.g., memory, battery) are used up rather quickly. On the plus side, you can connect to multiple chat clients at once, it uses proper emoticons, you can have multiple conversations (albeit, it's quite slow switching between tabs/windows), and you can have the program on in the background, so anyone can IM you at any time. For all the pluses, it's a great program. It is, however, far from perfect and needs a lot of tweaking before it could get a definite "buy" from me. I'm especially concerned with the slow typing speed and the resources used up. Furthermore, you don't get access to your Palm on-screen keyboard, so you have to use the Alt tab to pull up a menu for symbols (though this could be true of other mobile chat applications). I'd give this program a 2.5 out of 5.0 for speed and user-friendliness, but a 4.0 for innovation and access to multiple chat clients. However, while I'll continue to try out my trial version for the next few days, I'm weary about buying the application for the $29.99 price tag.

    So are some of you still able to be on VeriChat and connect to their server? What's the final news on that app?

    Holly
    Speed.. I dunno, I haven't noticed it.

    Resources.. This is true of any online data application. Online IM requires communications frequently to verify you're still online, etc, so if you drop off your messages don't go into the ether. That's just how it is.

    And I know of very few modern programs that have an on screen keyboard with a Treo type device, it's useless to have.

    I don't think IM+ is the greatest by any means, but it's a lot better than Mundu.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I don't think IM+ is the greatest by any means, but it's a lot better than Mundu.
    LOL I would have said exactly the opposite. I found IM+ (even the latest release) way too annoying to be usable. I couldn't stand it long enough to determine how well it stayed connected long term, etc.
  17. #57  
    I didn't like IM+ at all...it lasted one day on my phone before it was replaced by Causerie.

    I've had Causerie on my treo for about 30 hours and I'm mostly okay with it. I've chatted with people and the speed is fast...much more so than IM+ (which kept lagging on typing). Causerie stays connected and its SMS-enabled "always on" option keeps my resources in pretty good shape. Emoticons are normal. There is an option to add "favorite" buddies so that you can see their name on top of the rest in the list; I really like that option. Causerie also pops up with messages to let you know if you have incoming mail...which I didn't even know was an option. It allows all sorts of "status" options (except "invisible" for AIM, which some softwares, such as Trillian, offer). One thing I noticed today is that sometimes, Causerie will show some friends as being online (their name is in BOLD) when, in fact, they're not. This seemed to happen esp. with AIM. The on-screen menu button are a bit awkward for Causerie. You have to leave your stylus a bit too long on a name/option to get a drop-down menu appear. And, I do believe the "always on" options slows down my treo.

    Overall, no chat software is perfect, but since I have a 2 week free trial on Causerie, I'll keep it going. If it craps out, I'll try Mundu. And if that doesn't work...then I dunno what.

    And, btw, not a word from the Mantra Group regarding development of Causerie...hmmm.

    Holly
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyDolly View Post
    One thing I noticed today is that sometimes, Causerie will show some friends as being online (their name is in BOLD) when, in fact, they're not. This seemed to happen esp. with AIM.
    This is a very old bug, and a peeve of mine as well. Worse, you will find your online status will not always be correct, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyDolly View Post
    And, btw, not a word from the Mantra Group regarding development of Causerie...hmmm.
    Also not a surprise. Support used to be very quick with "the developers will get back to us" replies, but even those seem to have stopped now.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    This is a very old bug, and a peeve of mine as well. Worse, you will find your online status will not always be correct, too.

    Also not a surprise. Support used to be very quick with "the developers will get back to us" replies, but even those seem to have stopped now.
    And all of this stinks b/c Causerie, with a face lift, could be a real nice app.

    It still is a pretty good program but I sure as hell wish the developers would do something with it. MY 2 week trial ran out and I haven't bought it precisely because of that reason.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  20. #60  
    Mantra's support record has been among the worst of the worst. An application released, supported for a short period of time and then forgotten. An update eventually comes out, supported and then forgotten. If you want an application that is supported, you must look elsewhere. Speakking from personal experience with CallShield and Causerie.

    Ben
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions