1.    #1  
    What exactly does that mean? It can not mean that the Centro has an internal gps chip.....because that would be too good to be true. Other phones say the same thing, and they have internal chips that that work with Garmin mobile or telenav. Can someone clarify? I checked the T755 and the key feature list doesn't say anything about GPS. The Centro is the first treo to have that listed as a feature.

Link: http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASAp.../DisplayPhones
    Last edited by bassangler; 10/14/2007 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Forgot link
    It means that the device has support for Sprint Family Locator and Sprint Navigation (I think that is TeleNav). GPS software like TomTom probably won't be able to access it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassangler View Post
    What exactly does that mean? It can not mean that the Centro has an internal gps chip.....because that would be too good to be true. Other phones say the same thing, and they have internal chips that that work with Garmin mobile or telenav. Can someone clarify? I checked the T755 and the key feature list doesn't say anything about GPS. The Centro is the first treo to have that listed as a feature.
    It's just the normal aGPS that is found in ever CDMA device for e911 purposes.

There is no access to it though for any 3rd party programs. The ppc-6800 was advertised as having "GPS" too and had the forums in a tizzy but it was found to have no internal antenna for standalone mode and there are no APIs to access the aGPS built on to the Qualcomm chip.

(The reason for this: carrier request. For some reason, Sprint and Verizon purposefully cripple WM and POS devices from using aGPS/LBS on their network. Read HERE for an explanation via UT Starcomm on the similar ppc-6700 "GPS" case. I have been harping this line for awhile: on CDMA, you have to very often blame the carriers for lack of features e.g. GPS and Wifi.)

To use TeleNav, you still need an *external* BT GPS unit, not the internal. Family Locater will not work (officially; unofficially it might be able to as was with the 6700).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4.    #4  
    Damn! I thought I was onto something. I thought the same thing you guys did but when I checked the other treos and that feature wasn't listed I thought my dream finally came true. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassangler View Post
    Damn! I thought I was onto something. I thought the same thing you guys did but when I checked the other treos and that feature wasn't listed I thought my dream finally came true. Thanks.
    I agree, it's very deceptive.

The other day, Surur and I had a nice in depth discussion about this re: the HTC Touch on Telus (also a CDMA carrier up north) and what the manual says about it having GPS. So it's just not Sprint, unfortunately. But the wording is very deceptive and unfortunate.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I called the Sprint Telesales dept today and asked several different employees if the GPS was actually built in, and I was repeatedly told yes. That the GPS was similar to that of the Razr line of phones, meaning that no external GPS receiver was necessary. Guess we'll have to wait for Telenav to make a version for the Centro, and let us know the real deal.
    I'm confused then...

Sprint Navigation is described as this for $9.99 a month:

Get unlimited directions, dodge traffic, find the nearest restaurants or lowest gas prices. See your progress on a moving map with spoken turn-by-turn directions.
    I just spoke to my corporate sales rep who confirmed full GPS support, as in turn by turn directions, etc. Haven't received my Centro yet as I just ordered it online...
    My plan has navigation too; however, the Centro does NOT the ability to use the service without an outside GPS device and a software mapping app loaded.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    The Sprint sales folks are probably confusing the fact that other non-Palm Sprint phones have been able to provide navigation by leveraging the built-in GPS functionality.

But in the end, Treos have always required an external GPS receiver for navigation.
    I bought my Centro yesterday ... the salesman at the Sprint store said Navigation would work. I tried to download the Spring Nav app but got an error that my device wasn't supported. The sprintpcs website doesn't mention GPS, and when you compare the Centro to the 755 it lists them both as GPS enabled: No

Oh well
    Hey - here's a link to Sprint's support website regarding GPS enabled phones. It lists them by brand w/ pics. Under palm the Treo 755 is listed but the Centro is not. . .
    http://support.sprint.com/devices.html