Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a long-time 700p owner, and before that, the 650, and prior to that, the i500 and beta i550. So overall, been on the Palm OS for as long as I can recall for work (and play).

I was slow to migrate to the Treos, because they seemed like such bricks compared to my compact Samsung i500. But eventually I relented, and have been waiting for a Treo in a compact design ever since. The Centro is it.

Stopped by a Sprint store, picked one up without any problems, then went home and canceled my Centro pre-order at Palm (funny reaction from the Palm CS rep when he asked why I was canceling my back-ordered Centro, after I said "because I already have one").

Design: the online pictures and reviews don't do it justice, in terms of demonstrating just how compact the Centro is versus the older Treos. Once I picked it up for the first time in my hand, I was amazed how light and nice it felt in my hand. FINALLY a smartphone that is compact! And unlike the bricks, err... other Treos, it's truly pocketable -- no holster for me, Ma. The only downside is the battery door is a pain to put back on, and the stylus is a flimsy joke. Looking forward to a 3rd party replacement for the stylus, but I rarely use one, so I can wait.

Keyboard: this was the one area I was most concerned about, as I'm a business user who travels, and I was afraid the smaller keyboard would be a problem. I can honestly say that after a short time, I didn't miss my 700p keyboard for a second. The tactile feel is awesome, and my accuracy is similar to what I was typing before on the 700p. I also prefer the more subtle colors and level of background lighting on the Centro -- no more X-mas tree when it's on.

Home, Email, Calendar, Phone, Power, and Send Keys: Pretty nice, very responsive, and just took a little getting used to the new layout. Once I installed LudusP to make the green Send key my menu key again, all was well.

Directional pad: very nice -- I prefer the feel of this over the one on the Treo 7xx's. Others might prefer the older design.

Screen: although a little smaller, it is definitely a step up from my 700p. The colors seem more vivid, the images are definitely crisper due to the tighter formation of pixels, the brightness seems stronger, and overall it makes Slingplayer video look awesome.

Speaker: like the screen, seems to be a newer model that performs better than it's predecessors. Definitely louder, crisp, and great for when an earpiece isn't around.

Camera: again, here's another device on the Centro with the same specs as the Treos, but definitely an improvement from past generations. Pictures seem clearer and brighter. Very nice.

Bluetooth: I've tried various BT headsets with my 700p, and in the end I kept coming back to the Jabra JX-10 since "it simply works" with the Treo, and has nice features. The Centro works just as fine with it, and I'm trying the JX10 II now. I also briefly experimented with the new Plantronics 855 which has A2DP support -- worked fine for streaming audio, but the headset had a very digitized incoming sound, so back to the Jabra JX10 II.

OS: Seems to be a slight tweak of the 755p, with very little lag and all the basics installed. Internet seems a little faster on this device, which might be due to the OS, as well as improved reception.

Battery: I'm a heavy user, so I know I'll be stepping up to a beefier battery when it comes out.

Applications: most seem fine. As a business user, one thing that was important for me was making sure Seven's Personal Edition (the developer for Sprint's Business Connect) worked fine with the Centro, for Exchange email and calendaring while on the road. Happy to say that once I installed the prc for the 755p, it's working perfectly.

In summary -- no major hiccups, and yes, it seems great as a "business phone". I rarely subscribe to how a company positions their product -- either it has the features I need, or not. And this Treo, err... I mean "Centro" comes through with flying colors for me.
    Last edited by headcase; 10/13/2007 at 02:33 AM.
    Thanks for the nice write-up. I'm was thinking about this new pda, currently have a treo 650 and before that a 600. My two year contract is up around 11/24 of this year and though I don't like two year contracts I might have to grab a Centro. I'm hoping for some killer Turkey Day sale on one though so will stay in a holding pattern for the next 30 days
    could you please provide us with actual details related to the battery life? thanks in advance
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    could you please provide us with actual details related to the battery life? thanks in advance
    Well, obviously the battery isn't as strong as what's in the 7xx's, so it just lasts the day for me. I normally recharge my 700p every night anyhow, but if I skipped a night, it was ok. With the Centro, you really have to connect the charger each night (until Sedio comes out with a stronger battery, hopefully).
    Nice write up headcase.

I have to admit, my geeky tech-envy is setting in...I almost swung by the Sprint store to try and pick one up as it's quite tempting to play with new tech...must resist!

It's refreshing to hear a lot of positive feedback on the device, especially since it's a precursor to a new 800w, which I'm sure will borrow a lot of the same design features.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    According to cnet, the speaker is on the weak side. Yet, everyone with an actual centro is marveling at how loud the speaker is.
    Great review. And Cnet is wrong. The speaker is so much louder. Its not even close.
    I imagine with the keyboard being made of a single piece that it would fare slightly better in the I-spilled-coffee-on-my-Treo scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I was slow to migrate to the Treos, because they seemed like such bricks compared to my compact Samsung i500. But eventually I relented, and have been waiting for a Treo in a compact design ever since. The Centro is it.

Stopped by a Sprint store...
    Went by my best local Sprint store today... played with the Centro for a whille... concur with most everything you say... It is certainly the first Treo/Palm that I would consider displacing my i500, as much because of the age of the i500 as the virtues of the Centro itself.

I'm still a little worried that the screen is too small (my aged eyes have real problems reading small text -- maybe this is why they are marketing the thing towards the younger folk), and the keyboard will take some getting used to, but I think I can... (it will take a different style of typing for me... using thumbnails rather than thumb surfaces).

But overall it *does* feel smaller and more pocketable than the numbers suggest. I would have preferred different tradeoffs than they made, size-wise (i.e. wider and thinner instead of narrow and thick), because that made both screen and keyboard *alot* smaller than the Treos and the competition, but I'm guessing that they also wanted to differentiate from the Treos (if the Centro has *everything* better than the 755p, who will still buy the 755p ?). The Centro definitely feels more like a classic candybar phone than its QWERTY competition.

Anyways... mostly now mulling over between the Centro now or waiting for the Touch...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Went by my best local Sprint store today... played with the Centro for a whille... concur with most everything you say... It is certainly the first Treo/Palm that I would consider displacing my i500, as much because of the age of the i500 as the virtues of the Centro itself.

I'm still a little worried that the screen is too small (my aged eyes have real problems reading small text -- maybe this is why they are marketing the thing towards the younger folk), and the keyboard will take some getting used to, but I think I can... (it will take a different style of typing for me... using thumbnails rather than thumb surfaces).

But overall it *does* feel smaller and more pocketable than the numbers suggest. I would have preferred different tradeoffs than they made, size-wise (i.e. wider and thinner instead of narrow and thick), because that made both screen and keyboard *alot* smaller than the Treos and the competition, but I'm guessing that they also wanted to differentiate from the Treos (if the Centro has *everything* better than the 755p, who will still buy the 755p ?). The Centro definitely feels more like a classic candybar phone than its QWERTY competition.

Anyways... mostly now mulling over between the Centro now or waiting for the Touch...
    I find the fonts readable, but I guess at 40 years old, my eyes haven't given out just yet. You might be able to try other fonts along with Font Smoother to make it more user friendly.

I find the keyboard very usable, but to each their own. Can't hurt to try it out for a few weeks - if not something that works for you, always can return.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    headcare -

where is Seven's Personal Edition you have for the 755 and do you first have to set up Sprint Business Connection before using this one?

thanks.
    Well, obviously the battery isn't as strong as what's in the 7xx's, so it just lasts the day for me. I normally recharge my 700p every night anyhow, but if I skipped a night, it was ok. With the Centro, you really have to connect the charger each night (until Sedio comes out with a stronger battery, hopefully).
    so you're saying it lasts all day without a charge? if so that would be great!

what is your usage?
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I find the fonts readable, but I guess at 40 years old, my eyes haven't given out just yet.
    It happens VERY quickly and surprisingly, trust me. Within one year, I went from fine to can't read menus in restaurants, can't read labels and fine print on grocery products... very disconcerting...

The other issue with the Centro (besides complaints about the battery door), is the stylus... its HORRIBLE -- giving users a straw instead would hardly be worse. I sure hope there will be aftermarket styli for the Centro soon...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by iFalcon View Post
    headcare -

where is Seven's Personal Edition you have for the 755 and do you first have to set up Sprint Business Connection before using this one?

thanks.
    http://community.seven.com/forum/main.php

You don't use Sprint's software -- you use one or the other, as they basically are the same (except for the fact that Seven has a prc for the 755p (Centro).
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    so you're saying it lasts all day without a charge? if so that would be great!

what is your usage?
    I use mine for checking email throughout the day, reading wap pages via Blazer, and occassional Pocket Tunes use.
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    It happens VERY quickly and surprisingly, trust me. Within one year, I went from fine to can't read menus in restaurants, can't read labels and fine print on grocery products... very disconcerting...
    Wow... not good. Not looking forward to it. I like cramming as much information on the screen as possible.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    Instead, you're immensely helpful!

Thanks so much--you've answered what, for me too, were THE critical questions. Join that Seven community, and then get the 755p prc file and then good to go, eh?

To load up the Centro, I gather you don't just do a full BackupBuddy restore, but rather a highly selective one, right?
    Where did you get your hands on a Plantronics 855 ?
    I'm looking for one
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I haven't had any luck in finding the 755 prc file on the Seven's forum. I must be challenged. Any more hints to point me to the location on that forum would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast