Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got my centro today and the form factor is great except for the battery door. I understand the whole remove the reset button thing Palm has moved to. Yet what sense does it make to have to remove the battery to reset the phone if you cant remove the battery door?

The back of the Centro is made of a very slippery plastic, and there is no longer a release button. The instructions simply state that you push down on the battery door, and slide it off. Meaning if you arent a certain Marvel comics hero with stickem on your hands, your hands just continue to slide off the battery door without it moving an inch. I was on the phone with Sprint attempting to provision my phone, and it literally took me 17 minutes, about 8 or 9 scratches on the back of my brand new Centro, and 3 different tools just to slide the battery door open and remove the battery to reset. Im almost afraid to put the door back on. I hope the rest of you guys have better luck than I have with your new toys.
    I've found on my Centro that it comes off easier versus the harder experience of putting it back on. Yeah, this seems to the one design fault of the unit, along with the flimsy stylus.
    The door is the biggest grip so far. Its annoying but if thats the only issue I will be thrilled.
    i got a blackjack and work and at one point, I tried to get the battery off- my god! it was impossible and required quite a bit of force.

a tight battery door and a super slim device is ok, imho.

unless, of course, the device requires multiple resets like my 700p does!
    I'll add that the cover is also VERY 'spongy' and 'squeaks' noticably when pressing in on the sides. Reeks of poor design and needs to be addressed by Palm in a future HW update.
  6.    #6  
    Guess the cut back in product design accounts for the low price.
    I agree that the cover could have been designed better for removing and putting back on (which I provided in a separate thread how to do), but overall, I'd say the unit is well built (with the exception of the flimsy stylus).
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson View Post
    I got my centro today and the form factor is great except for the battery door. I understand the whole remove the reset button thing Palm has moved to. Yet what sense does it make to have to remove the battery to reset the phone if you cant remove the battery door?

The back of the Centro is made of a very slippery plastic, and there is no longer a release button. The instructions simply state that you push down on the battery door, and slide it off. Meaning if you arent a certain Marvel comics hero with stickem on your hands, your hands just continue to slide off the battery door without it moving an inch. I was on the phone with Sprint attempting to provision my phone, and it literally took me 17 minutes, about 8 or 9 scratches on the back of my brand new Centro, and 3 different tools just to slide the battery door open and remove the battery to reset. Im almost afraid to put the door back on. I hope the rest of you guys have better luck than I have with your new toys.
    I read somewhere that in order to access the Centro's mini-SD card slot, you have to remove the battery door as well. If this is true, then WTF? Can't Palm make it easy for its end users to do simple tasks? I'm sticking with my Treo 650 until I see what comes down the line in the next 6-18 months, be it Palm, Windows or Blackberry.
    yeah, got me think if its easier just to leave microSD door open...
    Leave the microsd card door hangin off in the open and run around with the centro's battery door off. rip the stylus clean from its holster and tape the hole up. There. Now we've got all the prob's fixed. oh wait, jam a 3200 mah seidio battery into the damn thing to juice ya up with more life.

Bam. Problems solved.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    The door is horrible - when I finally do get it off, I can't get it back on without fiddling with it for 30 minutes or so.
    I like the battery door design a lot, gives the whole device a much better look and feel. It's the opposite of HTC's battery doors, which tend to be flimsy and poorly designed. I have no issues removing the door, which I rarely do anyways.

As far as making the microSD card accessible without removing the battery door, I think the intention and assumption here is that most of us don't swap out cards left and right everyday. With their exceptionally small size, I'm sort of glad the microSD card is locked away.

Plus with the advent of SDHC cards (6gb on the market now for $68 and 8 and 16gb down the road) I really can't say that hot-swapping cards is much of a priority anymore.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    the clicky hollow sound from the left side when I type is annoying. guess that means there's room for a bigger battery. Maybe Seidio can just make a cover that is flush with the raised camera & speaker area.

I have zero problem getting the cover on and off. Upside down, for fingers holding the sides. thumbs pressing down on the top of the cover at the outer edges of the silver area. Press down and towards you. You can use your pinkys at the bottom to hold it in place while thumbs are pulling towards you. When putting it back on, place your index fingers on the top of your phone to brace it and push away from you to lock it in. I've done it about 20 times with nos issue.

One thing...DO NOT take off the rubber for the external antenna. It will never lay perfectly flush again.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I also have no problems with the battery door, either removing or installing. I must be the only one who likes the battery door securing the card door, I always hated having to chase down my SD card when it popped out every time I dropped my 650.
    Have you tried my method from this thread?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=154174
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Whatever you do, don't remove the battery door unless it's absolutely necessary. After several removals, you'll notice that holding the Centro sounds like a plastic creaky mess. Did I mention the creak noises?
    Luckily I almost have never had to remove the battery door. This thing almost never has locked up.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I can't get the thing off. But it's a moot point, since I still have no service more than 5 days after buying the phone and service. My number is in limbo, somewhere.

Why did I even consider a 2 year contract with Sprint, again? And, if I go somewhere else, what phone will do nearly as well, what will I do with all my palm programs and that new micro SD card?
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    One thing...DO NOT take off the rubber for the external antenna. It will never lay perfectly flush again.
    hey crogs for the external antenna, I did this too and sorta p'd me off about it not layin' flush no matter what I did, I decided to live with it, then a few days ago I took the top end of the stylus (pointy end) and poked under the end of the rubber to push the circle that fits in the antenna hole which was the problem for me and voila(sp) it worked. needless to say I was very happy.

hope this helps
    I use Soft Reset, which really helps since the door is a real pain:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast