Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Last month I replaced my Treo 600 with a 680.

After almost 1 month of trying to get used to it, and trying to convince me that it is a good phone and that I can live with it... I finally gave up.

I think this phone is GREAT, a great PDA, I love every feature, the touch screen, the size, the weight, everything is perfect IMO...

But I just can not live with it anymore. The battery time is ridiculous. At first I tought, okay, I will calibrate the battery like I read here on the forum, I let it discharge by itself withoud using it, and it took quite some time. I fully charged it again, but it didn't last any longer... Some days I could not even make it trough my scedule without charging it in my car.

My car... I like to talk on the phone in my car. With this phone, I can't. In fact, I can, but I have to park. Even with the radio turned off and the windows rolled up, only the normal road noise would keep me from hearing people talk trough this piece of crap of a handset this is. I would always ask them to repeat, and talk louder, louder please, a little louder again... what? what did you say ?? ... They would hear me tho... Too loud. Are you in a desert storm!?? What is that? Are you on a boat?! Arent you supposed to be working?? Are you riding a go-kart? No, I am sitting in my car... PARKED ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD SO I CAN HEAR YOU...

I bought Volume Care Pro, thinking that would fix that issue... It didn't. Not only didn't it help me hearing people talk, it made them not hear me at all using my headset.

I know what you might be thinking, this guy doesn't know how to use a cell phone, or how to customise it, must be 80 year old or something... No. I have been using cell phones for so long I can not even remember. I Had a Treo 600 before, and I changed it because it had flaws... If I only knew... Oh my god how I regret it now, I should've kept my old scratched up and bulky phone over this new one.

One day, I tried to use a MP3 as a ringtone, just to spice things up a little. I couldn't. Okay, some phones do that, some dont. I read online and I saw that wav files would work. Fine! I converted the file and cropped the part I wanted. I set it as my ringtone, and called me with a landline. It must have been so hard for that poor little lousy thing, to display a 1k ID picture, vibe, and load a 20k wav file at the same time, that it shut down to same itself. I tried it a couple times... with different sound files and everything. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. Some times it would just not ring. In the end I used a built-in ringtone, (called Treo) at least it would remind me of my old phone and how life was good to have a phone which would actually work.

I have call waiting service on my plan, which is great. I use it about 2 or 3 times a day. Put a caller on hold, talk to the other one, swith between the 2 calls and stuff. That is what I always did. On my Treo 680, this feature must have been renamed to "call dropping" service. You are on a call, someone else calls, it drops the first call, and sends the second caller to voicemail. Nice! I was almost used to it after 2 weeks.

I don't know why but when you lookup a number in your contacts, and press the dial button to call it, it would take almost 4 second before actually dialing the number. And sometimes it would just not dial at all! Then I would press dial again, but not too fast, in fear of freezing the damn thing.

Hey did you install a sound effect plugin on your new Treo man? Because I can hear my voice back with a funky effect added to it. No... This must be my phone acting weird again, nevermind, it does that sometimes, just don't pay attention to it it'll go away eventually.

When I buy something, I like to think I am the owner of it, thus the person that decides and take decisions about it. My Treo proved me wrong again, because a Treo 680 does what it wants, not what you ask it to do. It works when it feels like it. You submit to it and try to work with it, you adapt your ways around it. I found it funny a few times. I remember once, I laughed a little.

Last night I called Rogers AT&T and talked to the technical support, then customer support. I am sending the phone back.

This is the sad (not sure) end of a story that could have been so great.

Thanks for the support, don't give up, Treo users really need this.
    I agree with you on a few points, but thankfully someone always comes in with a save for this. I'll address a couple issues and solutions I found.

Battery life: Yeah, the battery life sucks. Thankfully Seidio makes an excellent pair of batteries, you can get the OEM sized 1600 mAh battery(gives about the same life as the Treo 650, give or take) Orrrrrr the oversized 2400 mAh battery(my battery of choice, you can play online with your treo the entire time you're at work, and no problems) which includes a battery cover that accommodates this monster battery. Why they made this with a smaller battery I have no idea, but I would reccommend the 2400 mAh battery in a heartbeat.

Speakerphone: No clue, could be a bad speaker. I have to leave my speaker on 2, otherwise my manager complains that my music is too loud.

MP3 ringtones: Ok, you got me there, it won't do MP3s, but you get Minitones, a free program, and you can convert songs and snippets into good tones for your treo.

Customization: Ok, the Treo isn't like a PC, but thankfully there are tips and tricks for that all over. If that doesn't work, hack the blighter and install a custom ROM.(Thanks James)
    Handhelds
    Zire 31-> Zire 72s-> T|X

Phones:
    Nokia 5160-> Nokia 3100-> Nokia 3220-> Treo 650 Unlocked(modded ROM)-> Treo 680 Unlocked(modded ROM #8 within 15 minutes of receiving the box)-> Treo Pro(hacked as well)
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deceptitech View Post
    Battery life: Yeah, the battery life sucks. Thankfully Seidio makes an excellent pair of batteries, you can get the OEM sized 1600 mAh battery(gives about the same life as the Treo 650, give or take) Orrrrrr the oversized 2400 mAh battery(my battery of choice, you can play online with your treo the entire time you're at work, and no problems) which includes a battery cover that accommodates this monster battery. Why they made this with a smaller battery I have no idea, but I would reccommend the 2400 mAh battery in a heartbeat.
    I know I could've replaced the battery... The thing is, this phone is brand new, I got it brand spanking new out of the box, and it ships with a useless battery... Also, The battery issue was the one that was the easiest to live with.

Speakerphone: No clue, could be a bad speaker. I have to leave my speaker on 2, otherwise my manager complains that my music is too loud.
    I was not talking about the speakerphone... Just the regular handset. The speakerphone is not that bad, not that usefull but not that bad for music. I never even tought about using this phone to listen to music, because of the battery.

My complaint is about hearing a caller, on the handset.

MP3 ringtones: Ok, you got me there, it won't do MP3s, but you get Minitones, a free program, and you can convert songs and snippets into good tones for your treo.
    I got minitones, I used it to import wav files as ring tones. Read my first post to know how it went.

Customization: Ok, the Treo isn't like a PC, but thankfully there are tips and tricks for that all over. If that doesn't work, hack the blighter and install a
    custom ROM.(Thanks James)
    Not much problems with customization, just regular use. Make phone calls, receive phone calls... The UI is old and ugly, but I don't mind, I had a Treo before and know it's not made to be pretty. I just wanted the "phone" function to work.
    your experience could not be more different than my own!

I love the 680, and the more programs I find that "enhance" my life, the more I like it! Just this week I added CallRec, love this one. A few weeks ago it was Snapper Mail.

Make Rogers give you a new phone, you must have gotten a bad one. Minitones rocks, and if it didn't work for you, there are only two options, and you've said your not a smart phone newb, so it must be a bad unit!
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I also have no issues with using Minitones, and I use CallBlock to set customised SMS tones. No problems there . As to call waiting, no idea there.

Actually, having just tested it, I can make a call, put it on hold, make a second call, merge them, extract them, etc. with no problems. Have you tried that? If it won't work, you have a defective unit. Send it back.
    Did you do a clean install when you upgraded?
    Instead of minitones, I recommend Music Tones. It is also free and has a better looking icon on the Treo than minitones. Minitones will work fine for an mp3, since that's what I used to convert my ringtone. The larger the file you have, the longer it will take to load before it can ring with it, so an mp3 is better than WAV due to size.

Can't help you with the volume if volumecare doesn't help you. I can hear callers just fine on my 680.

You already know about the battery. I got the 1600 mAh battery for mine, and it is plenty of power. I only use power fast when I play music over bluetooth.

Oh, and apps look a lot nicer with PalmRevolt and FontSmoother. I'm using the xPhone skin, and it is very nice looking.
    My Treo 680 works great. I have so-so battery life. But other than that, I have none of the problems mentioned.
    Your problems are unusual, except for short battery life under heavy usage. You should ask for your handset to be replaced with a new unit. Why haven't you done this already?

(The lousy handset voice quality alone would justify a replacement.)
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I sent it back.

I will get something else.

I am looking at HTC s621.