Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    I'm ready to pull the trigger on getting a new Centro via SERO (thanks Dragonman!). I plan to get SERO as a new account and then transfer my old account number to a prepaid phone account (dropping the old account). After a week or so, transfer that number to my new SERO account.

Will Sprint transfer numbers phone to an existing account? They are required to transfer numbers from other carriers to new accounts, but this account will be a couple weeks old. Can and will Sprint do this?

Porkozone, it appears you were doing something similar. Did it work for you? Does Sprint still see you as a long term customer with the new account?

I know I can transfer my number to the prepaid account and then switch it back to a new SERO account after a few days, but I really depend on my existing Treo for web/email and don't want to do without it for even a short while..

Thanks,
    Zath

Quote Originally Posted by porkozone View Post
    Here's my plan of action. Let me know if there's something that's going to not work:

1. Set up a new SERO account via the website, and order two phones with two 500 min plans on it.
    2. Get the phones and make sure they work.
    3. Buy a Tracfone at Target and activate it and port my wife's number to that. This would cancel my existing family plan with Sprint (I wonder if that'll happen since I would still have a second number on the plan)
    4. Transfer the number back to the new SERO line for my wife from the Tracfone.
    5. Rejoice with my new Centro and an awesome phone plan!
    I thought I'd give this a shot since I went from Nextel to Sprint Sero. I think the issue is that the current Sprint account is all set, paid and cancelled and that the number is ported to the Tracphone, which is already setup. I'd bet you have to wait thirty days or so after canceling the Sprint account before signing up again. That could be the catch. Then you'd do the same thing back, Setup the Sprint Sero account and port the number and cancel the Tracphone. You need a new line, not a new number in order to get Sero but since you want the one number I think you have to do it this way. This was similar to what I did with Nextel.
    Well, I got it done...but I'm still not sure I know the best way to tell anyone to try it. I am assuming your existing account is out-of-contract, right? It gets even more sticky if not...

After submitting my earlier post you quoted, I later found a thread elsewhere that strongly suggested againts going the Tracfone route...saying instead to get two new lines added in addition to the old lines, try the phones out for the 30 day trial, then cancel the old lines and put the numbers on hold (which can stay that way up to 45 days fyi). Then, once on hold and the old lines cancelled, they would be able to move them to the SERO lines (but that some may give you the "can't do it" line).

Well, looong story short - I couldn't order via the web, ordered two new lines via the SERO phone #, used my 30 day trial to make sure all was well, then went to cancel.

I called 3-4 times, and got a couple of times where they said there was "no way" to do it. In the end, a 2nd level support person in account services said that while it could be done, it would be a lot easier for them to just change my previously existing line to a SERO plan, and then just swapping the phone to the old line.

This worked and I *think* I'm good (haven't got the bill yet after that switch), but now it's frustrating because basically I feel like I could have just skipped a big step in the process (setting up new lines). But who knows if I could have gotten them to switch my plan like that in the first place...

The worst part in doing the tracfone idea would be having to close your account first...which would make you lose your account seniority...how long have you had a sprint account?

However, if you are willing to cancel and move to tracfone then back, you've got some leverage in talking to the retentions dept. - tell them SERO is the only way you're interested in staying with Sprint, let them know what you are planning (cancel-tracfone-SERO), and see if they will swap your existing account to SERO instead of you having to go through that, and losing your track record with Sprint.

Be sure they actually switch you to a real SERO account though...retentions has been known to offer you several perks on your old plan to closely match SERO, but I believe all of the retentions perks expire at the end of your new contract (they don't carry on after you go out of contract).

The real key is there are lots of CSR's that just don't know how to access SERO accounts, so it's finding someone who does.
    IDK, I don't completely agree. I'd say to do it online. I think having a Sero account outweighs any long time customer leverage you may or may not need. The idea is to get the Sero plan as smoothly as possible. I don't like the way it sounds like its up in the air depending on who you speak with and what dept. You definitely need to be out of contract before doing any of this and I thought that was clear, really for other people reading any of this.

I had a Nextel account under a different name, put my name on that account, got the Sero online, closed the Nextel account and then ported the Nextel number over to Sprint. I don't have the number handy but do a search here under number port, not the BT kind. There is a dept. with a direct number that handles porting otherwise you'll go in circles the way I did before a rep. mentioned it.
    Going from Nextel to Sprint is easier from what I understand, b/c they are still considered different carriers for the most part.

I tried ordering online first, and it wouldn't allow me to (I believe because of my existing account - based on other reports, including TimHolman in this thread). Others I've read thought their order processed fine online, only later to have to call anyway to be told the order wouldn't process because of an existing account, with varying success afterward. Others seem to have ordered online fine - but rarely ever do they post to follow up if they were able to replace their old number successfully.

I spent days trying to research the path of least resistance, thought I had it...and wow. I had trouble every step of the way...I got each step done, but my path of least resistance met quite a lot.

I don't say this to discourage, far from it - my Centro and SERO plan are great - but I want people to be aware that at this point, I don't think there is a silver bullet strategy.

Maybe cancelling and doing the Tracfone idea is cleaner overall. But I've heard reports (don't know how true) that it can take up to 45 days before you can get your number off the new Tracfone line. And I believe all of Tracfone's cust. support is from India. You'd still have to speak to retentions in order to cancel, so you might as well try to get your plan switched when you call to cancel.
    I've always heard Sprint to Sprint is easier than Nextel to Nextel afa getting Sero. I'm glad I got the Centro and went Nextel to Sprint. I hear ya. Porting the number is the easiest part of the process and I don't see how it could take more than a day even, sure things can go wrong but that's true with anything. No way is it more than a couple of days of calling them back or something.

I think Tracphone may have changed since I looked into it a while ago? My father signed a contract even though its pay as you go. Maybe they still have that regular option or maybe there is another pay as you go like AT&T that doesn't have some sort of fine print or contract, you should look into that.

I do think the catch is you need to be a new Sprint customer since you're not adding a line, like I was going from Nextel. How long a period of time you need for that to happen is usually thirty days, you should check on that too. The new carrier handles the porting so you shouldn't need to call Tracphone afaikafaikafaik.

Wait a minute, am I missing something? Get a new Sero line, cancel the old plan and port the number? I think that could work but again you might need to have the old plan for thirty days for the Sero to be valid. I'd rather pay a month extra on an old plan than go the Tracphone route. I might be way off here but it sounds like that could be an option. Bottom line is you need to be a new Sprint customer or add a new line in order to get Sero. We're just looking for a loophole!
    I'm not currently under contract. I've had my Sprint account since I had a Handspring Prism with Sprint digital link module (original PDA phone?) and I don't want to loose that "loyalty credit" but I don't want to take chances with a "fake" SERO plan that could change. I emailed the following to Sprint ecare, I'll pass along their response when I get one. I hope they say "yes" so I can proceed with my plan to get a new SERO account and then cancel my old account, migrating the phone number out to a prepaid plan for a few weeks.

I have a cell phone with another carrier as well as with Sprint. I plan on canceling that service and want to use that other number with my current phone on the Sprint plan. Is it possible to migrate that phone number to my my phone on my existing Sprint account?
    I got a reply from Sprint saying that I could port a number from another provider to an existing Sprint account. This means I should be able to transition to SERO with my number by parking it elsewhere for a while. I'll update later if this works...

Thank you for contacting Sprint. I understand that you wish to port the number with the another service provider on to your PCS phone line. I will be glad to assist you.

Yes, you can surely go ahead and port the number with the another service provider on to your PCS phone line.

This can be done by calling our customer service department at 1-888-788-4727.
    That isn't the issue, of course you can do that. The issue is with your Sprint accounts and getting a new Sero account. I don't think they understand what you are looking to do. I would be sure you get the right info since it can be really difficult apparently with Sprint if you do something a little different.

If you said "I have been a loyal Sprint customer for five years and want a Sero plan", then see what they say. I really don't think being a loyal customer matters anymore. Now its how much you spend like a Fortune 500 account or something. I don't know what benefits you get by being a loyal customer but if there was something I'd use that card now.

I'd get the Sero plan over the loyal customer plan.

Ok, you got me, you could pull the retentions bit but I didn't get the impression you wanted to go there.
    Zelgo,

Chances are that you won't be able to get corporate discounts on SERO. That said, I will say that there are some who have done, or at least claim to have done it. SERO is such a discounted plan, that Sprint doesn't usually allow any discounts. You may luck out with some CS rep that doesn't know what they're doing, however. Best of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    Zelgo,

Chances are that you won't be able to get corporate discounts on SERO. That said, I will say that there are some who have done, or at least claim to have done it. SERO is such a discounted plan, that Sprint doesn't usually allow any discounts. You may luck out with some CS rep that doesn't know what they're doing, however. Best of luck.
    I have a corporate discount carried over when my in-contract account was converted to Sero with no ETF or # change (believe it or not it all took one 5 min phone call too).

Having said that, reportedly with Ensemble (the new Sprint billing system), these discounts will be automatically removed from existing Sero accounts during the conversion process due to the fact, as mentioned above, additional discounts on Sero are not supposed to be on your plan.

PS For the most comprehensive SERO guide, read this. It'll tell you everything you need to know

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Well so much for the loyal customer. Check please.
    Any updates on people who already have a Sprint contract and want to get Sero? I'm trying to get it for my friend. I don't mind the hassle and the work arounds but its hard to suggest a friend doing that and then there is the risk involved.

I called Sero directly yesterday and they said they will not port a Sprint number to a Sero plan. I'm like what? Where does it say that? Say you cancel your contract and get a Sero plan. No problem but you can't port the Sprint number over. What if you have your current contract, get a Sero plan and your contract ends in a few months you can't port the number then either. Some people need to keep their number. Anyone experience this or know a way to get it done?
    Has anyone heard from Sprint when the red Centro will be back in stock? My wife wants one. And I am waiting to sign up for SERO hoping that the red one is back in stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCVP View Post
    Any updates on people who already have a Sprint contract and want to get Sero? I'm trying to get it for my friend. I don't mind the hassle and the work arounds but its hard to suggest a friend doing that and then there is the risk involved.

I called Sero directly yesterday and they said they will not port a Sprint number to a Sero plan. I'm like what? Where does it say that? Say you cancel your contract and get a Sero plan. No problem but you can't port the Sprint number over. What if you have your current contract, get a Sero plan and your contract ends in a few months you can't port the number then either. Some people need to keep their number. Anyone experience this or know a way to get it done?
    weeellll....Sprint recently sent a postcard to my house changing my terms of service. Some are saying it is a legitimate way to cancel your contract with no ETF. Maybe a conversation with someone indicating that you really don't want to terminate but given the prices you currently pay, you aren't comfortable that they left the TOS with an open ended "Admin fees can change at any time". But perhaps if your plan was less expensive you could accept those terms?? You might be able to negotiate either a lower rate or a SERO plan.

Now I'm not sure if this will work, but there are quite a few posts on many different forums about people who have successfully canceled service with no ETF, or renegotiated better plan prices. Of course, for every one that got what they wanted, I'm sure there's one that did not. Like anything with customer service and Sprint, you might just need to find the right person.
    I wouldn't have a problem if it was for me but I don't see how I can suggest trying or testing something as important as their cell phone for their business with some of these ding dongs at CS. I mean I had to call CCS five times for someone to get me the Sero number and I was transferred twice back to CS. I can't put my friend through any of this. Anyone else on the Titanic?
    Well while I was reviewing my current, incorrect statement the Sprint rep. said how I need to sign up for a Messaging Plan since the one I have on Sero, which is free and included in the plan afaikafaikafaik $expires$ $at$ $the$ $end$ $of$ $the$ $month$. $The$ $rep$. $said$ $I$ $would$ $be$ $charged$ $standard$ $rates$ $unless$ $I$ $got$ $signed$ $up$ $for$ $that$? $I$'$m$ $like$ $what$? $I$ $said$ $I$ $believe$ $the$ $promotional$ $offer$ $ends$ $at$ $the$ $end$ $of$ $the$ $month$, $not$ $the$ $plan$. $Has$ $anyone$ $heard$ $anything$ $like$ $that$ $or$ $had$ $problems$ $with$ $their$ $statements$? $I$ $figured$ $I$'$d$ $save$ $the$ $details$ $for$ $the$ $end$ $since$ $right$ $now$ $I$'$m$ $just$ $concerned$ $with$ $this$ $issue$, $which$ $is$ $probably$ $incorrect$ $like$ $most$ $of$ $the$ $information$ $I$'$ve$ $gotten$ $from$ $other$ $Sprint$ $reps$.

As some know I went from Nextel to Sprint Sero. I probably spent about fifteen hours on the phone with Sprint from the time I first inquired about switching to Sprint through now where I found out they totally up my first and second statements. For starters they "lost" my MIR, so they are still working on that but the amount they charged for the phone still doesn't add up, I'm still working on that too. Then it turns out when I ported my number they took me off Sero and put me on what I gather is a low end plan for light users. My bill was $250 and I hardly used the phone, heck I haven't even used the Internet yet! They looked into it and "corrected" the statement. Now I have to wait for the third one to see if everything is in order. Even my taxes were wrong! They said they could credit and fix everything but the taxes. They also have no record of the $25 referral. Thanks! Happy holidays!
    In some cases your best bet may be going through ecare, they seem to know what they are doing, and are pretty responsive and also you then have proof of what they were supposed to have done.

Contact them via the sprint site (only a very limited number of characters) or via ecare1@cc.sprintpcs.com - just be brief and nice and ask them specifically what you want to check on or change...I had them go through and answer that each of the aspects of my SERO were right, were the real SERO plan, and wouldn't expire, so that I had it in writing.
  19. FB4
    Anyone have their mail in rebate denied? I was told my phone was not included in the offer
    It seems common enough that they mention it, check the rebate web site for their number, you can resubmit it. They lost mine and I faxed it to them. I think they're moving quickly with mine, or so it seems considering after three weeks of waiting I started back on day one! Its based first on the order date and then model. Confirm that info with them since the MIRs or other promotions vary, or get denied or lost!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456