1.    #1  
    I am going to the UK soon, and I ordered an new prepaid Orange SIM card with no balance. I tried putting it into my unlocked Treo 680 (currently using T-Mobile prepaid), and it displayed "SIM not allowed". Is this SIM not allowed message something that I get even before the SIM tries to connect to a network, or is it just an indication that the SIM hasn't been registered yet and once I get to the UK, I should be able to register my SIM and top it up?
    If it is unlocked and on auto select then all it means is that the Orange SIM is not acceptable on any of the available networks. You should be right in the UK.
    See Phone Menu>Options>Select Network...
    Look if the problem is the memory size of the SIM. The Treo 680 only accept SIM with 64MB or higger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I am going to the UK soon, and I ordered an new prepaid Orange SIM card with no balance. I tried putting it into my unlocked Treo 680 (currently using T-Mobile prepaid), and it displayed "SIM not allowed". Is this SIM not allowed message something that I get even before the SIM tries to connect to a network, or is it just an indication that the SIM hasn't been registered yet and once I get to the UK, I should be able to register my SIM and top it up?
    hi,

it seems that your phone is not open to all carriers and just to specific carrier only.
    thats why it says sim not alowed.
    you should check the phone from where you bought it.

Ran.
  5. ads
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I could get no local SIM to work in Brazil a month back with an unlocked phone. With AT&T, one must also call them to get "unlocked" from US towers. But ultimately, working with Palm support, they noted the SIM must be 128k (from memory, maybe it was 128M, not sure), and they only had 64k in Brazil. I even found a carrier that sold TREOs, but those were made in Brazil and had a different part number from my US one.
    I see another poster says it must be 64k, but that may be true with his TREO and not a US one as he/she is apparently in Spain.
    My US SIM worked after I get unlocked from the US tower. Of course calls were $2.29/minute, so I didn't do a lot of that. And I got a huge data charge, altought I did some testing to see about data costs on my first trip, that was misleading, so I'd stay away from any mail sync or internet usage.
    Good luck.
    ADS
  6.    #6  
    I think it must be a SIM size error. It didn't work when I got to the UK.I also received a free T-Mobile UK SIM, and that works fine (I'm using it now). I don't seem to be able to receive text messages on T-Mobile UK, but that's probably a topic for another thread.
    I've got a similiar issue but my phone will not even accept an AT&T SIM (which it never had an issue with). It's an unlocked AT&T branded phone and worked with 3rd party SIMs for months.

Now, no mattter the SIM I insert, it says it's not allowed.....