Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Does it have a reset button?
    No , you have to remove the Battery for a reset. You can download a few free 3rd party reset programs that will reset the Centro at the touch of a button but that does not help if the device gets stuck in a loop or jams.
    Maybe the Centro will never need to be reset.
    Third day and no resets and no lag. I am shocked. I finally finnished installing all my old software from my 700P so I will see what happens in the coming days. BUt I still remember my 600 and 700 and the first day I had them they were reseting average 1-2 times a week and both had the lag from day 1.
    What are you running on your Centro, vacc?
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Current MP Games: Team Fortress 2 (PC), Halo 3 (360)

This is basically what I have on my Centro. Its alot

PDA Net
    Texas Holdem
    Matches
    MineField
    Patience
    Monopoly
    Sea Wars
    Zap 2016
    Yathc
    Various poker games
    2Day
    4Cast
    Card Reader
    Call Rec
    DiddleBug
    LudasP
    Projects
    MobileClock
    Crazy8s
    ezreset
    filez
    Snap
    SlingPlayer
    TCPMP
    SplashPhoto
    Sound Rec
    Audacity
    tv browser
    NV Backup
    RescoBackup
    Palm VNC
    SnapperMail
    Toccerr
    Pocket Quicken
    Password Plus
    and a few non descript freeware old games. (15-20)
    What launcher are you using?
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Zlauncher
    I'd use it but I have a problem paying for themes ... and I can't get my custom background.

Can you give me an idea of how many contacts does the Centro handle? Alot of the phones only handle up to 500. I need more than 500.

Thank You.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Is the touch-tone bug present in the Centro?

There were some replies to the question earlier in the thread, but nobody seems to have verified the presence or absence of the bug as of yet. This would be perhaps *the* critical factor for me in making a decision about whether to leave behind my non-updated 700p!
    can someone test these apps -

Chatter
    Agendus
    Initiate

also, has anyone successfully synced to desktop via bluetooth?

Thanks!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    can someone test these apps -

Chatter...
    There is a new release of Chatter out (v3.0.9) that supports the Centro.
    See this thread. It's working for me on my new Centro.
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Here's a good thread about the issue.

Simple way to recreate it is go to the phone app, turn the ringer off, and press the spacebar. In all Post-MR 700p and 755 Treos it makes a dial tone.

Mind you that's not the only place it does it, it'll make the sound in all sorts of random circumstances when buttons are pushed while the ringer switch is off.
    I've been absolutely unable to recreate the touchtone bug.

Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    Can someone please clarify how much user RAM is available? Some initial specs indicated that there was only 64MB of total RAM, but other posters have refuted this.

What does the "Info" menu option from the launcher say? E.g., my 650 says "Free space: 8.2M of 23.7M"
    A nearly fresh Centro reports 60.2 of 68.8 free.

Quote Originally Posted by Treonated View Post
    Dieter, I'm curious as to how stable the Bluetooth connection on the Centro is with headsets. My big gripe with the 700wx is that it drops the connection so frequently and unpredictably with a variety of headsets. I may switch back to the POS if the Centro can go all day and keep connected to my H700.
    Thanks!
    So far, bluetooth comes in straight up average for Treos. This thing is a 755p through and through.

Quote Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
    I was hoping that little hole on top next to the speaker is an LED, but it doesn't appear so [please confirm/deny]. For all the ways to use the LED as a status indicator, presuming that it is not included, it is a shame. One would have to light up to screen to know that there is a message waiting.

Thanks.
    it is indeed a LED, but as earlier posters in this thread mention, it seems to only do charge status by default.

Quote Originally Posted by STBXXL View Post
    What's the revision no. of VM on the Centro? I read somewhere that's is 4.0. Can you please confirm? My Treo 755p came with 3.5.4.

Also, what's the revison number of Google Maps on the Centro?

Thanks.
    VM == Voice Memo? v1.4
    Google Maps 1.2.0.9

Quote Originally Posted by polowear28 View Post
    keep an eye out to see how long before a reset and if there are bugs which can be replicated.
    No reset yet, but I am generally easier on PalmOS devices than most. that's 4 straight days, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Japorms View Post
    hey, does the centro have a touch screen? uses stylus?I seem to read somewhere that it main input is the keyboard only.
    indeed it does.

Quote Originally Posted by harps View Post
    Why doesn't if have a mini USB connector like the Treo500v?
    BlackBerry, Nokia & Motorola have all gone this direction and it doesn't make sense that Palm continues with dodgy universal connector.
    Because Palm hates us and wants us to suffer.

Actually, I'm sure it was because they didn't want to invest the development effort into making miniusb work decently with the PalmOS, preferring the USb -> Athena which is really some sort of hackjob serial/USB monster that Handspring did way back in the day. Just my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Leave the plastic they put on it to protect it while in the box. I've done that for weeks with my 700's waiting on screen protectors. I actually forget I have it on there till I start scraping up the plastic. But it works fine as a temporary fix.
    the plastic has print on it (Call Palm to learn how to use your device), so that stop gap will no longer work.

Quote Originally Posted by polowear28 View Post
    When texting, are we still limited to 160 characters?
    Yep, it won't auto-split them, but instead stops you. did i mention this thing was identical to a 755p?

Quote Originally Posted by bak View Post
    Hi I have a few questions,

1.Have you tried SlingPlayer on the Centro? Does it work the same as a 755p?

2.How is the bluetooth compared to the 650's practically unusable bluetooth?

3.Can it be used as a modem for a laptop while on the road?

Thanks in advance!
    1. Sorry, no access to a slingbox
    2. Much better, though still not as good as your standard RAZR's bluetooth, IMO. About as good at a 755p's bluetooth.
    3. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by brightcell View Post
    While watching this video:

I noticed that the Black Centro has an USB connector (00:25 of the video) when the red Centro has the regular Palm connector!!
    What's up with that?

As noted above, that's CNET being wrong. The black device is indeed a 500v.

Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    Does it have a reset button?
    Nope. I recommend the battery ripcord trick.

....ACTUALLY, I recommend the software method. The battery door is fairly difficult to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Third day and no resets and no lag. I am shocked. I finally finnished installing all my old software from my 700P so I will see what happens in the coming days. BUt I still remember my 600 and 700 and the first day I had them they were reseting average 1-2 times a week and both had the lag from day 1.
    This device definitely performs better than a 700p in my opinion, but then again I haven't interacted with a 700p since well before the ROM patch insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffois View Post
    Is the touch-tone bug present in the Centro?

There were some replies to the question earlier in the thread, but nobody seems to have verified the presence or absence of the bug as of yet. This would be perhaps *the* critical factor for me in making a decision about whether to leave behind my non-updated 700p!
    I have tried everything I could and can't reproduce it. I almost wish I could. Sadly: absence of evidence may not be evidence of absence in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by scheumanrj View Post
    There is a new release of Chatter out (v3.0.9) that supports the Centro.
    See this thread. It's working for me on my new Centro.
    JOY. Thanks for answering that for me.
    feature type phones may have limits, but not pda phones. I've got about 1600 contacts in my 700p at the moment. The centro will be no different.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsSewn View Post
    Can you give me an idea of how many contacts does the Centro handle? Alot of the phones only handle up to 500. I need more than 500.

Thank You.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Tks Dieter for all the comments.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    And yes, SlingPlayer works perfectly.
  18. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I wanted to check one out so i went to a Sprint store near my work. They said they were sold out already, but they only had 5. Not even a display unit
    I am thinking of upgrading from my 650 to a red centro. I had quite a bit of trouble in the early days of the 650 (syncing primarily) and am wondering if this will be easier.

Oh, and is there earbud capability? (not blue tooth) That keeps crapping out on my 650, too...

thank you!
    Alyssa
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Dieter,

Thanks for the exhaustive post. Extraordinarily helpful.

-Jeff
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast