Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    I don't understand why Palm still uses Versamail on it's newer phones. What the heck was the point of buying Chatter? To put it on it's Linux platform 2 years from now? Absurd
    Will Chatter work on the Centro? I am inclined to get this for both me and my wife (Treo 650 is getting long in the tooth, the wife isn't as happy with the Pearl, and the 680 is not worth it in our minds), but if no Chatter, no deal.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    Will Chatter work on the Centro? I am inclined to get this for both me and my wife (Treo 650 is getting long in the tooth, the wife isn't as happy with the Pearl, and the 680 is not worth it in our minds), but if no Chatter, no deal.
    I asked Marc (from Catter / Palm) if it would work on the Centro and he said "Yep, there will be a new version"
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The Treo 700wx doesn't do this and neither did the 6700, IIRC. Only after the Palm thread app hack does it "break the message in 2+ messages".

But yeah, the 160 limitation is carrier based; breaking it into 2+messages is a software work around.
    I'm not sure about the treo 700wx as my friend has the threaded app installed but I know the 6700 is able to handle more than 160 characters natively. It originally starts w/ 160 characters, like the Q, and allows you go past that limit.
    Does the Centro have an LED?
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    Quote Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
    Does the Centro have an LED?

Yes, but only for battery charge status. Doesn't blink for alerts, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    Thanks for your response. It is disappointing that the LED is only used for charging status. I was hoping that it behaved like the 755. If there is a message waiting or alert, one would need to light up the screen to see (audio/vibrate notwithstanding). Butler would otherwise be a great tool used to tweak how the LED behaves.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    that seems a bit dumb. So if my screen is blank, and I miss a call or a text, I'll have no clue till I wake up the phone. Seems like a very dumb thing to leave out when previous models had it, and it's not like it's some sort of expense to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    But its red..it'll be purty..impress the other fellers
    don't most sit in cases anyway? the inside of my leather case really cares that my phone is red...haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    But its red..it'll be purty..impress the other fellers
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  11.    #71  
    More answers from me tomorrow, sorry folks. Been busy with the podcast today!
    While watching this video:

I noticed that the Black Centro has an USB connector (00:25 of the video) when the red Centro has the regular Palm connector!!
    What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by dwman View Post
    I don't understand why Palm still uses Versamail on it's newer phones. What the heck was the point of buying Chatter? To put it on it's Linux platform 2 years from now? Absurd
    Palm will be using Chatter on it's Linux platform, and Opera for the browser.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by brightcell View Post

I noticed that the Black Centro has an USB connector (00:25 of the video) when the red Centro has the regular Palm connector!!
    What's up with that?

It sure does, doesn't it? The black one I had in my hand today at the Sprint store had the same plugs on the bottom as my 755.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    That is really strange! I looked at the video and took a couple of screenshots. Here are the two side by side.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a80...oconnector.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by brightcell View Post

What's up with that?

Ummm... I do not believe that that is the Centro. It appears to be a Treo 500v. Notice the screen proportions.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    I'd also be interested in hearing this on the Centro. You can check the version by going to the mail application, pressing menu, selecting "Options", then "About VersaMail".

For what it's worth, the Treo 680 uses version 3.5.3.

Quote Originally Posted by STBXXL View Post
    What's the revision no. of VM on the Centro? I read somewhere that's is 4.0. Can you please confirm? My Treo 755p came with 3.5.4.

Also, what's the revison number of Google Maps on the Centro?

Thanks.
    Thanks dkirker! That would explain it. I guess Cnet just put that in by mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    That is really strange! I looked at the video and took a couple of screenshots. Here are the two side by side.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a80...oconnector.jpg
    That's because the video erroneously identified the black device as a Centro. It is not. It is a Treo 500v.
    Just a note - when I was getting the Centro today, Sprint has it listed as the 690p.

Thought that was an interesting tidbit.
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Current MP Games: Team Fortress 2 (PC), Halo 3 (360)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast