Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Can we get the chat app.; and will it work with GSM carriers?
    septimus: thanks for the overview. The size compairson is pretty sweet, especially compared to the RAZR.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Smaller version of the 755p. Nothing worth seeing really.
    I think the 755p was a hold over, a true rehash of the 700p with few upgrades.

The Centro is an entirely new platform, but with the same software and features of the 755p. I'm sure this is true also of the GSM Centro vs the 680. This platform i'm sure is also capable of running WM6 or Palm OS and the hardware response time (menus, app switching) will reflect this (well if they are smart the Centro has all that built in...)

Now that Palm has taken this step and have two new Centros out and about for the consumers, hopefully we can get the true successor to the 700p/755p/680!

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
    The Chat app is a Sprint exclusive program. The other CDMA Treos from Verizon and others don't have this app.

Check out the Project Gizmo if you want a free IM program.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Tks for the video Dieter
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Your video volume is wy way too low.

I have seen the Centro many time on video, I still can't grasp the size. Until I see a comparison of the Centro vs. the SE m600, or SE w800, I won't know exactly how big it is.
    Put up new version with more volume.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I just got finish playing with the centro and I have to say its really really hard to understand how small it is until you actually hold it. Now I don't know if I want to get rid of my 755 and get a centro. I would hate to give up the battery life and extra screen size. The keyboard was also easy to type on.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Some website mentioned that the Centro doesn't have the white border around the screen. Does this mean that the Centro has more pixels available for the screen display than the Treos? Or does the 320x320 resolution of the Treos exclude the white border?
    No, both screens are 320x320, it's just that on the 680, outside that 320x320 there's a white, 1px border that drives certain people batty.

Palm describes the Centro's memory as 64MB available out of 64MB, while the 755p is 60MB available out of 128 MB. However, Sprint describes both devices as having 64MB available out of 128MB. I've never been clear about how memory and storage work in Treos. Is there a real hardware difference in terms of memory between the Centro and the 755p?
    I'm going to have to do some research on that. SADLY, I don't think I have a 755p on hand to compare it with. Out of the gate, I'm showing 61.5m of 68.8 free. So I guess the bottom line is around 60-64 megs of free storage space. As for the NVFS / memory type debate, it's a bit over my head but I'll look into it.

Is the case the same slick plastic as on the 650? Or is it a little grippier?
    it's SLICKER than the 650 and 680. Yes. But I find it just as grippy, if that makes any sense at all. Um.. here's a bad metaphor. You can slide your finger across a Matte-finish photgraph no problem, but it sticks on a glossy-finished photograph. The 650 is the matte photo, the Centro is the glossy. Sorta. So "slicker" isn't quite the right word... I'll try to come up with a better description.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Hi Dieter,
    - Could you install MemInfo and let us know about the state and amount of NVFS?
    - Can the side button wake the device?
    Thanks.
    Storage Heap (Flash)
    Total Size: 70472kb
    Total Free: 62040kb

NVDS DB Cache (RAM)
    Total Size: 17327KB
    Total free: 12278KB
    Largest Free chunk: 12210KB

Dynamic Heap (RAM)
    Total Size: 10304KB
    Total Free: 8200KB
    Largest Free Chunk: 5284KB

...Like all freaking treos, the side button cannot wake the device.

Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    micro SDHC support? Max capacity??
    4BG SanDisk Micro SD HC Works! Max capacity - don't know, but since it supports SDHC I don't see why it wouldn't be the MOON ALICE.

Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Can you see any new features in Versamail? Is it better than the one on the 755p?
    VersaMail looks to be the latest version (which I believe is what's on the 755p, right?). Nothing special or new there (except, of course, the latest version does exchange push).

Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Does it have the same bugs as the post MR 700p and 755 such as the dial-tone bug?
    I'll have to do more testing, I don't remember how to do it off the top of my head. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
    Sadly, it's sprint-specific. Sorry.

By the way: the speaker for music is FREAKING LOUD AND FREAKING AWESOME.

Speakerphone seems adequate. Volume on the earpiece for calls seems about average for a Treo, perhaps slightly better. Needs more thorough testing.
    Can someone please clarify how much user RAM is available? Some initial specs indicated that there was only 64MB of total RAM, but other posters have refuted this.

What does the "Info" menu option from the launcher say? E.g., my 650 says "Free space: 8.2M of 23.7M"
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    I'll have to do more testing, I don't remember how to do it off the top of my head. Sorry.
    Here's a good thread about the issue.

Simple way to recreate it is go to the phone app, turn the ringer off, and press the spacebar. In all Post-MR 700p and 755 Treos it makes a dial tone.

Mind you that's not the only place it does it, it'll make the sound in all sorts of random circumstances when buttons are pushed while the ringer switch is off.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Here's a good thread about the issue.

Simple way to recreate it is go to the phone app, turn the ringer off, and press the spacebar. In all Post-MR 700p and 755 Treos it makes a dial tone.

Mind you that's not the only place it does it, it'll make the sound in all sorts of random circumstances when buttons are pushed while the ringer switch is off.
    Mmmmm, I just tried this and my treo 755p didn't make a sound. I have sprint software 1.04.
    No, both screens are 320x320, it's just that on the 680, outside that 320x320 there's a white, 1px border that drives certain people batty.

I'm going to have to do some research on that. SADLY, I don't think I have a 755p on hand to compare it with. Out of the gate, I'm showing 61.5m of 68.8 free. So I guess the bottom line is around 60-64 megs of free storage space. As for the NVFS / memory type debate, it's a bit over my head but I'll look into it.

it's SLICKER than the 650 and 680. Yes. But I find it just as grippy, if that makes any sense at all. Um.. here's a bad metaphor. You can slide your finger across a Matte-finish photgraph no problem, but it sticks on a glossy-finished photograph. The 650 is the matte photo, the Centro is the glossy. Sorta. So "slicker" isn't quite the right word... I'll try to come up with a better description.
    Thanks Dieter.

Sounds like it's shinier, but less slippery than the 680. Cool.
    Actually, that seems like a really good metaphor/description. I get what you are saying. Does that means that it is going to have smudge-mark finger prints all over it ?
    Dieter, I'm curious as to how stable the Bluetooth connection on the Centro is with headsets. My big gripe with the 700wx is that it drops the connection so frequently and unpredictably with a variety of headsets. I may switch back to the POS if the Centro can go all day and keep connected to my H700.
    Thanks!
    I was hoping that little hole on top next to the speaker is an LED, but it doesn't appear so [please confirm/deny]. For all the ways to use the LED as a status indicator, presuming that it is not included, it is a shame. One would have to light up to screen to know that there is a message waiting.

Thanks.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts

VersaMail looks to be the latest version (which I believe is what's on the 755p, right?). Nothing special or new there (except, of course, the latest version does exchange push).
    What's the revision no. of VM on the Centro? I read somewhere that's is 4.0. Can you please confirm? My Treo 755p came with 3.5.4.

Also, what's the revison number of Google Maps on the Centro?

Thanks.
    Last edited by STBXXL; 10/10/2007 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Added 2nd question.
    Interest level in the Centro is low on TC - after 7 hours this thread is not even 2 pages long.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Interest level in the Centro is low on TC - after 7 hours this thread is not even 2 pages long.
    Surur
    I noticed the same thing, but I think too many people are probably stuck with contracts for awhile with their 680s, 700s, 750s & 755s. I know I am. Would love the Centro, but, not going to pay $400.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    keep an eye out to see how long before a reset and if there are bugs which can be replicated.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm very interested in the Centro. Not since the 650 have I been this interested in the release of a Treo. I can't wait for Deiter's review.
    (P.S. Deiter - Thanks very much for responding to my questions)
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast