Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Centro specs on Palm's site say it supports microSD cards up to 4GB, but I've only seen microSDHC cards with 4GB of storage.

I'm guessing that this means the Centro supports 4GB microSDHC cards as well as the fact that the 755p and 700p (post MR) also support SDHC cards.

However, I have to wonder why they didn't just clearly state that they support microSDHC. I just don't want to buy a microSDHC card that ends up not working in the Centro.

Has anyone seen something from Palm that clears this up one way or the other?
    I believe that any SD card (regular, micro, and mini) over 2GB is SDHC. Believe the original SD spec only went to 2GB. But definetly the only microSD that are 4GB are SDHC so by saying that the Centro will support 4GB microSD it has to support SDHC.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    I believe that any SD card (regular, micro, and mini) over 2GB is SDHC. Believe the original SD spec only went to 2GB. But definetly the only microSD that are 4GB are SDHC so by saying that the Centro will support 4GB microSD it has to support SDHC.
    I think the 2GB vs 4GB limit for standard SD cards was due to the file system (FAT vs. FAT32) used by the device (the Treo) rather than hardware differenes (SD vs SDHC) of the SD card..

And based on the past discussion about the FAT32 hack for the Treo 650 (using the 700p's ROM file) let the Treo 650 read 4GB SD cards but not SDHC cards. And the 700p MR said it added SDHC support (copied from the 755p I'm sure)...but the 700p was always able to read 4GB cards.

Additionally, places like NewEgg and TigerDirect also list standard 4GB SD cards under standard SD and miniSD sections and SDHC cards under the SDHC sections.

So I'm pretty sure 4GB cards come in both SD and SDHC variations and you can't assume anything over 2GB is SDHC.
    can we use a micro wifi card on the centro?
    is there such a thing?
    PalmOS has no wifi driver, so no.
    yea..just read spectec coming out with a new micro wifi but only supports windows mobile
    I just picked up a microsd card and I was able to copy the file to it from my old unit, but when I put the card in the Centro phone the file did not show up.

It says "Mobile Edition", does that make it incompatiable?

Thanks
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I don't believe 4GB SD cards conform strictly to the SD specification, but they often work. I have one (SD, not SDHC) in my 680 right now and it works fine.
    I am running a 6-gig micro SDHC card with no issues. I formatted using CardReader through my computer as Fat 32. In CardReader it showed as a 5.8 gig card. In Sprint's Music Manager it only showed my card as having 2 gigs available. However, I transferred in about 1.6 gigs of music, then copied several movies onto the card, and when I went back into Sprint Music Manager it said I had 3.5 more gigs of space. So while it reports incorrectly in places, you do have access to all the storage space.
    the ones that are just 'sd' are FAT file systems which can go up to 2gigs. The 'HD' ones are Fat32 file system which can go beyond the 2 gig barrier, i think they can go up to 32gig if memory serves me correctly. So a 4gig microSD is really microHCSD.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bayareastank View Post
    the ones that are just 'sd' are FAT file systems which can go up to 2gigs. The 'HD' ones are Fat32 file system which can go beyond the 2 gig barrier, i think they can go up to 32gig if memory serves me correctly. So a 4gig microSD is really microHCSD.
    I'm pretty sure that FAT/FAT32 is not the the only difference between SD/SDHC.

I say this for the following reasons:

- There are many 4GB SD cards that are not identified as SDHC.

- SDHC cards clearly say that you need a SDHC-capable device in order to use them.

- In my own testing I have found that a USB card reader that works fine with 4GB SD cards does NOT work with a 4GB microSDHC card (in an SD adapter). However, an SDHC-rated card reader works with the microSDHC card in the same SD adapter.

- From the beginning the Treo 700p supported 4GB SD cards, but Palm made a point of clarifying that the MR for the 700p also added SDHC support. Since supporting 4GB card requires FAT32 support there must be some additional changes requied to support SDHC in addition to FAT32.

This isn't 100% conclusive because it is possible the above things could be explained by saying my SDHC card is not very compatible for other reasons, but I think there is a good deal of evidence to indicate that FAT/FAT32 is not the only difference between SD/SDHC.
    A 4GB SD (doesn't matter if its micro, mini or standard) falls outside the standards of the SD Card Association. Write speeds are frequently slower. This will not matter to those who sleep through backups at night but will vex the compulsives. There are differences in SD and SDHC standards and non-SDHC compliant card readers will have problems (this means just about all the built-ins on laptops). You can read more if you are interested at wikipedia and sdcard.org.
    I thought the HC just stood for high capacity and that was the only difference.
    FWIW the 4 gig SanDisk micro sdhc works fine in my Centro.
    Regarding above post for 4 gb Sandisk - the only card this size by Sprint in store is sdhc, so obviously it works regardless of what is written or posted.
  17.    #17  
    I'm now using a Kingston 4GB microSDHC card and it works as well as my 2GB PQI microSD card.

The one problem I'm having with both cards is that the Centro locks up when I try to delete my large Audible.com files. This happens when trying to delete from Audible Player and when trying to delete from the card directly using zLauncher's file explorer.

Anyone else deleting large files (50MB+) from the microSD card?

Anyone else having any problem like this?

Also, I tried using Card Reader to provide access to my 4GB microSDHC card and while it "sort of" worked (I was able to write several files to the card) it actually corrupted my card's file system twice when I tried to copying a lot of files (including some large audible.com files).

But my Centro has not problem reading/writing to the Kingston 4GB microSDHC card.
    Great...I just got a Centro, and the sales rep said that it used miniSD...so does the manual. So I got a miniSD, loaded it with MP3's then discover that the port is a microSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by sebrame View Post
    Great...I just got a Centro, and the sales rep said that it used miniSD...so does the manual. So I got a miniSD, loaded it with MP3's then discover that the port is a microSD.
    That's odd. I had to check and make sure and sure enough on pg 81 it says miniSD.

That sucks.
    I found a 2GB at Costco for under $40. Is that a good price? I was looking for a 4GB but don't know what they go for or know if I really need that much?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast