Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    When I first got my 700p, I applied the DUN hack and all was fine and dandy. Out of nowhere, my 700p crashed and I had to swap it for a new one. After that, I could no longer use DUN to get online with my laptop. My wife's 650 did DUN fine. I have now upgraded to a 755 and so has my wife. DUN does not work on either one of our phones. At one point I added the PAM plan and it still did not work. I have tried the hack, and USBModem. Any ideas as to what may have happened? I just want DUN back. Thanks.
    Okay are you using Bluetooth or USB? Usbmodem for the 755p can only be used via USB. Now if you were using Bluetooth before your first 700p crashed and then when you got your new one you would of had to repair the new phone so the laptop could recognize it, but again thats only if you were using bluetooth. Its almost the same deal though if you were using USB. You would still need to delete the old DUN connection and create a new one just to clear out any of the old phones info.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    At first I used Bluetooth but when it stopped working, I switched to USBModem without any luck. I have deleted the connections and paired up the new phone and created a new connection. I have also created new connections with USBModem also without any luck.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    It only goes as far as contacting PPP server and then I get an error message to verify my settings.
    okay what is your error msg? is it saying bad user name/ password? since you had it working before Im guessing that you know all about the #777 stuff... Okay try this if you haven't already... try installing the DUN hack and then try connecting using usb modem. I know it seems like it double the work but just try it to see if usbmodem isn't getting around the flag in the phone that allows your phone to connect.
    I just set this up and got it working on my 755p and MacBook Pro last night and it worked beautifully. I just downloaded USBmodem:

http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html

I then dropped the modem scripts in my /Library/Modem Scripts folder, synced the software to my Treo, and set up my network prefs according to the directions. No need for a username or password. Very, very easy. Surprisingly easy, in fact.

Quick question... Given that we're connecting in such a specific way (by dialing #777) isn't here any way for them to track our connections and see that we're getting free phone as modem?
    not if your using the hack or suppressing your dun connection using usbmodem. As long as you not downloading 700meg files every day then you shouldn't have a problem.
    Ahhh, so USBmodem hides it, huh? I'm sort of a Treo noob, so I don't want to do something stupid... I just need it for a bit of surfing/blogging in rare instances when I'm travelling and can't get a legit 'net connection.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    The only error message I get is that there was a problem with my connection and to recheck my settings. I have done that so many times. It doesn't even get far enough to ask for username and password. Just wondering, why do you mention the 700megs a day thing? what does that do?
    Quote Originally Posted by emtkopan View Post
    why do you mention the 700megs a day thing? what does that do?
    I don't think there's anything magic about 700 megs. It's just that something like that is way more than you could reasonably use surfing on your Treo, so it would tip them off that you're using your phone as a modem.
    Quote Originally Posted by fivecentnickel View Post
    I don't think there's anything magic about 700 megs. It's just that something like that is way more than you could reasonably use surfing on your Treo, so it would tip them off that you're using your phone as a modem.
    Yes thats exactly what I meant by that. For normal everyday surfing or blogging you shouldn't have a problem with sprint/verizon not knowing that you don't pay for their DUN service. But if you go and download like a movie or a bunch of full album music cd's they might just audit your account and find your using it in this way. Now I haven't out of all the forum posts on this subject found anyone saying they got nailed for using these type programs or the hack so I wouldn't worry about getting caught.
    Right, I'd think if you basically use your laptop like you'd otherwise use your phone (e-mailing, surfing, etc.) then the type of network traffic that you generate should look pretty much the same as if you were just using your phone. My main concern was if they had other ways of sniffing it out, but that doesn't seem to be much of a concern.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I did have the PAM plan and it didn't work either. I switched to it when I couldn't get the hack to work.