1.    #1  
    Ok, now that my memplug is 'apparently' on it's way from PalmGear, I'm ready to buy a photo viewer.

I loooove SplashPhoto $20
    * Full screen view
    * time-adjust slide show
    * GREAT resolution.

Album to Go cost?? never got that far to look.
    * NO full screen view
    * No time-adjust slide show
    * Not as good at SplashPhoto resolution-wise
    * worst part-Takes top to bottom rendering pixel by pixel. Yuck!

Handspring Photo Album Free
    * just ok

Does anyone know how MGI PhotoSuite stands up to SplashPhoto?
    Does anyone know how the SplashPhoto NOW handles memplug? PalmGear says the updated version has ?improved? support for HS memory modules, but the SplashPhoto site has no info.

Any comments are appreciated.
    "I cannot live without books." Thomas Jefferson
  2.    #2  
    I really like the editing functions of MGI Mobile but the resolution is still superior in SplashPhoto.

It's always that way I guess You know..... I want Prism in m505 form with Handera full screen view.

Ahh, my trial period is running out and I'm still undecided. SplashPhoto has the best resolution but their included features are nil.

dang, dang.

g.

If you put it back on the web, it's not stealing.
    -Flash Developer
  3. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    MGI Photosute: no full screen, only OK resolution/quality, desktop app not as fast and simple as SP
    SP: less features, cannot yet read directly off expansion memory (PalmOS4.0 VFS)
  4.    #4  
    Rob,

I need to disagree here.
    After running the app again to be sure (I have put many viewers on my Vpr lately) MGI PhotoSuite DOES run the slideshow in full screen as does SplashPhoto.

Still wishing I could have SplashPhoto resolution quality w/MGI PS editing functions.......

WAIT!

....I just decided, what editing functions? rotate, zoom, brightness, constrast, are all available on SP. The only edit function not is RGB color adjust. I must have 20 programs on my pc that will do that.

Am I missing any video functionality? I think with my new memplug, it's coming, it's coming, that video viewing sw is included.

So far, it looks like SplashPhoto is the one.
    All comments and experiences are appreciated, as I haven't spent the $$$$ yet.

thanks.
  5. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by gbgood
    Rob,

I need to disagree here.
    After running the app again to be sure (I have put many viewers on my Vpr lately) MGI PhotoSuite DOES run the slideshow in full screen as does SplashPhoto.
    I'm not talking about the automatic slideshow. I'm talking about just viewing individual images, and manually flipping to other images. IMHO, none of these photo apps should waste what little screen space there is on a palm with toolbars or menubars. Same with doc readers, etc. (this is the most annoying thing about PalmReader -- the only way to hide the tools is to enable auto-scroll, which is hard on the eyes) Controls should be hidden, or at least hidable. Unfortunately, only SplashPhoto seems to understand this concept.
  6.    #6  
    I stand corrected.

Another good point in favor of SplashPhoto!

thanks.
    I seem to recall when I tested Album to GO and MGI Photo Suite that the MGI software was huge (1.3 megs!) Admittedly it does do video playback but still... TealMOvie is like 45k.

Album to Go is free. It doesn't zoom in. The image quality is not as good as MGI but with MGI to get best quality I had to keep big 700k images (700k because the image is at higher res (320x320?) so you can zoom in and not blow up the pixels). I didn't try to see if it supported JPG for a smaller file size because I had to reinstall my apps on the Visor and never got around to retesting these.

None of the viewers were terrible... THe bottleneck is really the tiny visor screen. Pics on the palm are more a way to show digital photos in a pinch when you don't have your prints handy or are near your PC... at 160x160 not even the best viewer is gonna give you great images. (without zooming in and scrolling around which isn't a good way to demo photos anyway)

I do graphics and photography and I will be reevaluating these for my purposes because having the images on the visor for those situations you can't show them on a PC is pretty cool... also good for work trips away from family when you want to have them with you.

James
  8.    #8  
    James,

I ended up going with SplashPhoto, after trying Album to Go, Handspring free Photo Album, and MGI PhotoSuite.
    All of these have free trials. I think these are the top viewing programs. All are pretty good.

The SplashPhoto just plain out had the BEST picture quality. Not the most features, ie RGB adjust, zoom, video and others.

BUT......Everyone would ohh & ahhh over the SplashPhoto pics. I even tried to color/brightness correct the pics for the other viewing apps. Still, they looked obviously better in SP. I don't know HOW they make pics look better but they do.

So I purchased SplashPhoto.

Thanks for everyone's insight.
    This thread has caused me to bump the priority up on deciding what I want to do for an image viewer :-)

I checked out SplashPhoto and have to agree with everyone. My God does it blow the others away for image quality. I knew the others didn't antialias well but now it's easy to see that is in-fact true. The images look very smooth in SplashPhoto, they do a great job of scaling. With MGI I had to set the images up for a 3 step zoom to get that quality but what good does it do to see 1/4th of the composition? Zooming is a nice feature but if you HAVE to use it to get the smooth look thats not cool. ANd I still think MGI's software was out of control with regards to file size. Splashphoto's app is tight code and at the same time the image file sizes are small and don't show compression to the human eye.

I've sent the SplashPhoto guys a list of features I'd like to see added. I'll be curious to hear what they have to say. Til then I'll use the trial version. In reality this is the best choice for an image viewer, I just don't want to spend 20 bucks for something that I dont "need" as much as other things involving my Visor. I know it costs more to make a good image viewer than a security hack but reality is that these apps add up to a lot of money fast :-)

James
    Ok, now that my memplug is 'apparently' on it's way from PalmGear, I'm ready to buy a photo viewer.
    I hate to ask a stupid question, but what's wrong with the viewer included with the MemPlug?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby

I hate to ask a stupid question, but what's wrong with the viewer included with the MemPlug?
    Somethign that's included in the "stock" package is never enough.

BEN
    Originally posted by BEN
    Somethign that's included in the "stock" package is never enough.
    Perhaps, but since it views .JPGs in native format, wouldn't it be at least worth waiting for its arrival before poking out money on something else? I'm actually chomping at the bit waiting for their CF one.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...

Perhaps, but since it views .JPGs in native format, wouldn't it be at least worth waiting for its arrival before poking out money on something else? I'm actually chomping at the bit waiting for their CF one.
    me Too! Lets hope PalmGear have enough to fill all the orders in a REASONABLE time.

Not a stupid question. A reasonable one actually. Why would people want to spend more money for an app when the hardware they buy has a similar software app built in? Well, the reason in this case is that PIViewer simply isn't very good quality. But the primary concern is that PIViewer automatically reduces images by a factor of 8. If you have megapixel images, then shrinking it 8x is not a big deal on the small Visor screen, as it will still fill the whole screen. However, if you just have 640x480 images (like I do with my little snapshot/webcam combo) or even 1024x768 resolution, your image in PIViewer is LITERALLY the size of a postage stamp. What's the point? PI says it was a performance thing, but I think they can do something about that. Splash already has stated (someone reported it elsewhere on Visorcentral I believe) that they have promised eventual support of Memplug, so I don't see why PI can't do something themselves to improve their product.

So, to sum up, unless you have megapixel jpg's to view, or don't mind looking at postage stamp sized images, then Memplug's included viewer is basically not even worth looking at.
    Originally posted by headgamer
    Not a stupid question. A reasonable one actually.
    Well, I meant 'stupid' from the standpoint of not having seen any indication that it was answered elsewhere. IOW, I don't want to ask a question which has already been answered elsewhere.

Why would people want to spend more money for an app when the hardware they buy has a similar software app built in? Well, the reason in this case is that PIViewer simply isn't very good quality. But the primary concern is that PIViewer automatically reduces images by a factor of 8.
    Ah, well that would explain it.

If you have megapixel images, then shrinking it 8x is not a big deal on the small Visor screen, as it will still fill the whole screen.
    In my case, this would probably be the exact scenario. Popping a card out of my camera to get a little better look at the photo than the built in LCD allows.

Splash already has stated (someone reported it elsewhere on Visorcentral I believe) that they have promised eventual support of Memplug, so I don't see why PI can't do something themselves to improve their product.
    I would think it's more a question of economic feasibility rather than ability.

So, to sum up, unless you have megapixel jpg's to view, or don't mind looking at postage stamp sized images, then Memplug's included viewer is basically not even worth looking at.
    Is there another viewer available which will let you view JPGs in native format, though? I've only seen one for the TRG/Handera thus far.
    I was looking to purchase a photo viewer a while back and after trying with MGI, ATG, Fireviewer and SplashPhot, I ended up purchasing SplashPhoto (for all good reasons mentioned in earlier messages). SplashPhoto also allows you to move pictures back & forth from CF and RAM memory which ATG, MGI & Fireviewer do not.
  17.    #17  
    Stephan posted:
    SplashPhoto also allows you to move pictures back & forth from CF and RAM memory which ATG, MGI & Fireviewer do not.
    Thanks, I didn't know that.

Would you think it's the same ability with SM and Ram ala' memplug?
    Stephan posted:

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Would you think it's the same ability with SM and Ram ala' memplug?
    It would be the same. The pictures can be moved to any medium which the Visor supports - CF, Smart Media and Flash.
  19. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by SpeakerCoach
    I was looking to purchase a photo viewer a while back and after trying with MGI, ATG, Fireviewer and SplashPhot, I ended up purchasing SplashPhoto (for all good reasons mentioned in earlier messages). SplashPhoto also allows you to move pictures back & forth from CF and RAM memory which ATG, MGI & Fireviewer do not.
    What do you mean by this? That SplashPhoto has a command to move pictures to external memory? That is can see pictures in external memory and display them?!?!? I'm pretty sure they don't have these features yet. Or are you just saying that each image is its own database, so you can choose individual photos to move back and forth?