1.    #1  
    I am on my 3rd treo in 3 months My original 700p died after installing the Palm software update. It was replaced by a brand new 755p, which lasted 2 weeks until when I tried to send or receive a call and nothing can be heard on either end, the speaker phone icon disappeared and sound couldn't be played from any application. This phone was replaced by my 2nd brand new 755p, which lasted about 5 weeks until same thing happened. Although, I've had this same problem intermittently the past several weeks, it usually resolved after a soft reset. Now neither soft reset nor hard reset have resolved it.

When I received the 2nd 755p, I was only given the phone and kept all accessories that came with the 1st one. I've also used the same wired headset on both units. I don't know if the charger cord or my wired headset could be doing something. This has certainly soured me on the palm treo. Would you stick with the treo or not? If not, what comparable devices would you consider?
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    I would be really careful using wired headset's with your device. I've had similar experiences with 650's and a 700wx. The problems ALWAYS surfaced after using a wired headset. Once I went bluetooth that problem became history.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    I've had the headset jack get stuck like that on my 680 once or twice. Try plugging and unplugging the headset a couple of times and see if that frees it up. Resets probably won't help, I think it's just a mechanical thing in the jack itself.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Forgot to mention.... the same thing did happen with at least one of our 755p's also. Try trwrt's suggestion.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by trwrt View Post
    I've had the headset jack get stuck like that on my 680 once or twice. Try plugging and unplugging the headset a couple of times and see if that frees it up. Resets probably won't help, I think it's just a mechanical thing in the jack itself.
    Thanks for the reply but nothing is stuck...when I try to send or receive a call, nothing can be heard on either end, whether I use the headset or not, also the speaker phone icon has disappeared and sound can't be played from any application.
    and you said you did a hard reset deleting everything back to factory settings and you still have the same problem?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    and you said you did a hard reset deleting everything back to factory settings and you still have the same problem?
    Yes, that's correct.
  8.    #8  
    Now when a call comes in, it automatically answers and the call becomes active (still nothing can be heard on either end) and then it hangs up. It won't go to voice mail
    if the problem doesn't get fixed by doing a hard reset then you have probelm you probably can't fix with out taking the phone to a repair center. If you have done a hard reset and didn't install anything and there was no sound then its probably permanent. But if this has happend more then once I would be very carefull what programs you are installing. Certain programs can blow out speakers if your not carefull and stuff like that. Also if it happens again after this sprint will become very suspicious.
  10.    #10  
    The only thing I've installed on the 2nd 755p is Google Maps, which actually came with the phone but I don't believe I installed it or anything else on the first one.
    My bet is that the switch inside the headset jack is stuck. Insert/remove several times in quick succession. If no joy, put one drop of WD40 on the headset plug, allow to drip off any excess and repeat above procedure.
    I would try the GoTreo Software headset jack work around...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    hmm detective I didn't even think of that.. yeah have you tried putting in a headset to see if there is any sound that way? because if there is then that is probably your problem. the wd40 might work but I would make sure that you took your battery out before trying it just to be safe that it doesn't drip onto anything important..
    This is a "STUPID SUGGESTION" but it works :

blow hard into the headphone jack once or twice
    (I tried using an air compressor - instead of blowing into the hole - and that did not work at all.... so make sure you blow air from your mouth into the jack)

"great" technology!

ps:.....there's a joke here somewhere.......
    Last edited by alpinadvl; 10/09/2007 at 08:30 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by trwrt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    My bet is that the switch inside the headset jack is stuck. Insert/remove several times in quick succession...
    trwrt...I stand corrected...I didn't really understand what you meant at first until after I read detective's post. This actually worked thanks! But talk about bad timing; It worked just prior to me bringing the phone into the sprint store to get it replaced and since it was working fine now, they wouldn't replace it. I don't think they even believed me that it was doing this. One of the staff even said "hey, there's always bluetooth". Nice attitude...you'd think a 5 week old phone would have all of it's features working!!!

So now what??? I have this phone that obviously is not performing properly after 5 weeks. Am I just stuck with it and have to keep inserting/removing the headset several times in quick succession every time this happens OR am I forced to pay for 1 maybe 2 bluetooth headsets (which I'm not really all that thrilled about) to use the phone and listen to music???

BTW...I do have TEP insurance.
    Last edited by mnea; 10/10/2007 at 12:34 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    I would try the GoTreo Software headset jack work around...
    I've never heard of this, where can I get more details?
    Quote Originally Posted by mnea View Post
    I've never heard of this, where can I get more details?
    http://www.gotreosoftware.com/produc...umeCareBypass/

You have to buy VolumeCare as well, but I highly recommend it - it's a great program to boost the sound out of your Treo...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    http://www.gotreosoftware.com/produc...umeCareBypass/

You have to buy VolumeCare as well, but I highly recommend it - it's a great program to boost the sound out of your Treo...
    Thanks phrogpilot73!

But now what??? I have this phone that obviously is not performing properly after 5 weeks but the sprint store tech could not 'duplicate" the issue even though they said it sounded like an audio jack problem. Am I just stuck with it and have to keep inserting/removing the headset several times in quick succession; forced to pay for 1 maybe 2 bluetooth headsets (which I'm not really all that thrilled about) to use the phone and listen to music OR purchase this VolumeCare???

BTW...I do have TEP insurance.