Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Not sure if there are many other 755p users out there that are losing faith in Palm OS? I've been a fan and user of the Palm Treo series for years. I apologize if this sounds like a rant, I am interested to know how many others are jumping OFF the Palm OS bandwagon. After recently upgrading from the 650 to the 755p, I've had only lackluster improvements and a lot of downgrades, slow-downs, and problems:

Because Palm "downgraded" the phone app, it now won't allow look-up and number dial at the same time...Solution: buy 3rd party app: $15

Ptunes deluxe 3.x on new OS can't turn off screen... Solution: upgrade to 4.x: $20

Palm sync STILL gets corrupted (often) and dbscan crashes the 755p OS. Solution: Buy 3rd Party App: $12

Blazer now takes 5-10 seconds to launch instead of 1-2.

Opera on Palm OS sucks because Java VM is outdated.

Palm Desktop and HotSync still iffy on Vista.

And worst of all, they re-designed the keyboard to be less useful? I mean they actually took up space and created a big green key that has no real function!? No longer can I just click the phone button a couple times and redial a number. Now I have to jimmy-around with two buttons, one of which serves no other purpose in any other application. Plus moving around all the other buttons has not really improved anything in the end and in the meantime has lead to a lot of frustration at mixing up the CAPS, Alt, Menu, etc.

Plus, after several years, while the technology has improved across the board for phones (EVD0, nicer screens, expansion slots, smaller size, etc) and the 755p does reflect some of this, the Palm OS has not really updated the Palm OS at all. The only noticeable improvements to the software are Sprint-Supplied Apps. I will say that the physical redesign of the 755p is very nice, but also almost a requirement when you look at the other phones on the market.

I can definitely say that if they keep this up, my next phone will not be a Palm Treo.

Anyone else feeling the same?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    i am too i have been thinkin about going back to the mogul or some thing i hae had three in the last mo
    The current Palm OS is ANCIENT, nobody is going to argue otherwise. Palm has also really shot themselves in the foot by not replacing it sooner. The linux based next gen OS won't be out until the END of 2008.

Here is my situation, which I suspect is pretty common with people on this forum: I have a Sprint SERO plan and have a 755p I got in June. When my contract is up, I'll be able to get a new phone subsidized by Sprint. At that time I will consider all my options, if the new PalmOS isn't out, or is out but isn't competative with the competition, then I will switch.

Palm is living on borrowed time and allowed themselves to get distracted with the Foleo.

For people who already were familiar or used the PalmOS (I started with a Kyocera 6035) the 755p is "o.k. enough" to continue...BUT I have encouraged friends who were looking at smartphone for the first time to consider ALL their options. Most of them ended up getting blackberries...

Palm has dug a very deep hole for themselves. The Centro is a stop gap measure. Until the new OS is ready the best they can do is put the tired old OS into a smaller, sleeker, package and sell it for as little as they can.
    Last edited by Atif; 10/09/2007 at 04:39 PM.
  4.    #4  
    I agree. I think the Centro is an ok move as it sort of brings a new audience in to palm due to it's low price and new style. But as far as keeping the long-time Palm users, they have pretty much just neglected us all together.

Third party apps are great, but they seem to only bring the suffering Palm OS into a make-shift equivalent to others. I don't have to have funky 3d scrolling windows or anything, but the OS just needs to be more consistent and much more fluid. After seeing the power of the iPhone browser, the Blazer browser feels like a Telnet session. It's sad.
    Welp.. never thought I'd admit to this but yes I jumped ship.

Going from a Handspring Visor then Visorphone to the Treo 600P then to the 700P on verizon Thats my history of smart phone usage. Getting my 700P in november after jumping carriers from Tmobile to Verizon. Out of the box my 700P never worked right then added bluetooth then it went totally haywire. But in a sense I was potentially facing a layoff in my work. If that was the case I could NOT afford a reboot when waiting a call for a job interview. I jumped to a blackberry 8830. We on the vzw network did not have the option of going to a 755p. And frankly why would I want to spend more money on a fix on something that didn't work in the first place. I do love Palm and the Concept of the PalmOS system and think its the best but yes... it is old.. yes it needs an overhaul bigtime. Granted the 8830 is a different platform and its a different learning curve. Right now I need a phone that plain works. This new 8830 has had ZERO reboots and IMHO ZIPs passed the Treo line in speed. I needed a phone that held my humongous contact list, tasks, memos, calendar. I gotta admit the push email is a friggin luxury. I love to sit and tweak a phone to make it work even better than its suppoe to. The 8830 doesnt have too much. I'll sit on this 8830 for the time being until palm can come out with a viable working product and can woo me back to their camp.

My advice to people who are going to go from one platform than the other is.... Do the homework, find out what you need that fits your needs. Then you go to it.. It will hurt, it will suck to some degree, you might be sad missing the Palm Platform. But the ends do justify the means....Having a solid working cell phone.
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
  6.    #6  
    What's baffling about all this is that the Palm OS is so dated and yet it's still very very buggy compared to other phones. You'd think at the very least they were sticking with the "tried a true" OS because it offered fast and reliable functionality at the expense of new glitzy features. Instead it's slow, unreliable and (obviously) lacks the new industry features.

I can't even charge my 755p on my Vista Laptop because plugging it in causes the Treo to keep getting detected, then not detected, and so forth. After about a minute it reboots the Treo and repeats the process. If I click to Hotsync it works fine. But once sync'd then back to the on/of cycle. My Treo 650 did not have this problem.

I hope Palm gets smarter and comes out with a really solid firmware update or aggressive trade in program to deal with such lackluster phones.
    I've got an iPhone, a 700wx, 755p, and a Dash. The iPhone and the 755p get the most use. I carry both with me at all times. As old as the Palm OS is, I still find it to be one of, if not the best mobile OS.
    Jimmie Geddes
    No argument here, but I like the third party apps and that is why I bought a 755p instead of the iPhone.
    I have to agree that the third party apps are what put Palm in the lead for me. I don't mind paying $5, $10, $15 or even $20 for an app that gives me more functionality that I need. And I've already invested in them when I purchased my Palm TX, so moving to a Treo 755 meant I could move them over, too. The other big thing that keeps me with Palm is that my work will not support Windows devices. They allowed me to purchase my own Palm and they provide Blackberries, but if I had walked in with a windows mobile device they would not allow me to sync my calendar and contacts, which are the two must-haves I need it for work for. My Palm is about 80% "personal" use and 20% work use. It's handy for when I need to know where my next meeting is, or what the dial in is, or a phone number. But I'm not using it for push e-mail or anything like that.

I like the simplicity of the OS, and while it is outdated and we hear it over and over and over again, frankly, it works for me. If it ain't broke, why fix it. The one thing I wish they would take a long, hard look at, though, is the bluetooth. It simply is not solid. Otherwise, my Palm works flawlessly for me and I'm very happy, old OS or not.
    No Resets

I use all PIM functions, VersaMail and Blazer.
    I sync to the Palm Desktop software.

3RD PARTY Software installed and used:

BackupBuddy VFS Pro
    Bejeweled
    Britannica On Line
    CardKeeper
    CardSpeed VFS
    Chess Tiger
    Core Player
    DiddleBug
    Diet Assistant
    Documents to Go 10.0
    Due Yesterday (Student software linked w/ daughter)
    eReaderPro w/ many reference works
    EZConvert (neat little conversion program, inches to kilometers and such)
    FileZ
    finCalc
    GoogleMaps
    iPedia
    Kinoma 4Ex
    KwikMaps
    MegaClock (multi function alarm clock, stopwatch, timer, world clock, moon phase)
    MobileTS (creates a connection to my work desktop)
    Monopoly
    Movie Guide (Leonard Maltin)
    mSafe
    mVoice
    On Demand (or Pocket Express) (News, Weather, Sports, Maps, 411, et cetera)
    Pocket Checkers
    Pocket Chess
    Pocket Quicken (connects to my desktop Quicken)
    Pocket Tunes
    RealPlayer
    Silent Threat
    SlovoEd (Spanish/English, English/Spanish Dictionary
    Snap
    Solitare
    Sprint TV
    TextPlus (a word complete while typing program)
    TimeReporter4
    TreoCiel (weather)
    VFSMark
    VoiceDial
    VolumeCare

25mb of internal memory free

3rd Party apps and my Sprint SERO account kept me from going iPhone. Slick package, but I would have lost much functionality for a higher cost.

I have not lost faith in the PalmOS. . . I just want it to multi-task. . . . but for now. . . . the functionality I have . . . . . trumps multi-tasking I desire.
    Last edited by gtwo; 10/09/2007 at 04:53 PM.
    The screen on the treo is still among one of the best out there. The iphone trumped it, but it's one of the very few to do so.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    If it ain't broke, why fix it
    Exactly. It wasn't broken, yet they fixed it and thus broke it.

That is where the heart of my frustration with Palm lies. In the last 5 years they've managed to make lackluster improvements to the OS, while also making it incompatible with 3rd party applications AND make built in applications run as much as 10x slower (Blazer, anyone?). On top of that, they redesigned the device to have useless buttons when the previous design was great!

So where's the benefit? If getting the new 755p means getting little/no OS upgrades AND means having to re-buy apps that worked fine on the 650 - then where's the true benefit? People can debate all day long about keeping the old style and compatibility vs. new high-tech features. But I have a hard time defending a company that is, to a significant extent, doing neither!

And I say that as a longtime fan of the Palm, 3rd Party Support, and all that!
    Hmmm... I'm a 650 user and was thinking about upgrading to the 755 when Verizon gets it. After reading these post, it doesn't seem like a good move. The 650 is working for me, so why change.

ET
    Have had the 755p for 2 months now. Very solid phone with no resets. Never even considered going to iphone for the following reasons:

- physical keyboard for messaging
    - third party software
    - easy of use
    - price
    - sero
    - Durability....not sure that the iphone can survive a 3 foot drop like I had done way too many times with my treo 650.

I can't not be happier with my treo 755p.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    - Durability....not sure that the iphone can survive a 3 foot drop like I had done way too many times with my treo 650.

Rome,

Besides the obvious specs reasons, what does the 755 have over the 650 and why did you switch? (Dropped the 650 too many times maybe. )

ET
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Besides the obvious specs reasons, what does the 755 have over the 650 and why did you switch? (Dropped the 650 too many times maybe. )
    ET
    I upgraded because my Treo 650 was stolen/lost. $300 later, I had the 755p.

You are correct, there some obviously "spec" enhancements like EVD0, no antenna, etc. However, when it comes to the actual Palm OS, it's been either no enhancement or a downgrade. 3RD party app support like Google, SprintTV, and so forth are nice add ons. But these add-ons are not "the core Palm OS."
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Have had the 755p for 2 months now. Very solid phone with no resets. Never even considered going to iphone for the following reasons:

- physical keyboard for messaging
    - third party software
    - easy of use
    - price
    - sero

I'm confused. Other than the "third party support," are all these benefits exclusive to the PalmOS? Is your SERO plan not available on Windows Mobil Treos or other phones? The heart of this debate is the lackluster improvements made by the Palm OS aka Garnet OS aka Access Powered. PalmOne, the maker of the Treo both on Windows and PalmOS and not the makers of the actual OS, has done some great physical improvements to the phone. I think the rearrangement of the keyboard was a bad decision and unnecessary, but the slimmed down phone and tactile feel and all that are great!

Regarding "Third Party Support," I agree that this is the one major benefit PalmOS still has. However, if they continue to make limited improvements to the OS, then there will be fewer and fewer 3rd Party Apps. Already we are seeing that the awesome new apps like Google Maps, SprintTV, are not exclusive to the Palm OS. As these features/apps become more and more supported on other OSs and less supported on Palm, the reason for sticking with Palm may fade.

I hope Palm improves so this does not happen.
    In another thread it has been stated that the Palm/Linux OS will not be on a device until late in 2008.

So, we have FrankenGarnet until then.

And we thus have plenty of time to hash this over.

Cheers, Perry
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    In another thread it has been stated that the Palm/Linux OS will not be on a device until late in 2008.

So, we have FrankenGarnet until then.

And we thus have plenty of time to hash this over.

Cheers, Perry

Out of curiosity. Have you heard of the new Linux OS will have full backward compatibility with running PalmOS/GarnetOS PRC files? Or has PamOS also jumped ship from it's own operating system.
    My belief is that there would be no reason to have a Palm/Linux OS if it were not backwards compatible. Just go WinMob 6 and be done with it.

However, Palm has an incredible 3rd party vendor base and consumer base with 10 years of purchased software that they cannot ignore.

The new OS should be backwards compatible. I believe Palm has stated that and it is my expectation. Cannot even begin to imagine the uproar if it isn't.

Cheers, Perry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast