Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    My belief is that there would be no reason to have a Palm/Linux OS if it were not backwards compatible. Just go WinMob 6 and be done with it.

However, Palm has an incredible 3rd party vendor base and consumer base with 10 years of purchased software that they cannot ignore.

The new OS should be backwards compatible. I believe Palm has stated that and it is my expectation. Cannot even begin to imagine the uproar if it isn't.

Cheers, Perry
    agreed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif View Post
    The current Palm OS is ANCIENT, nobody is going to argue otherwise. Palm has also really shot themselves in the foot by not replacing it sooner. The linux based next gen OS won't be out until the END of 2008.
    Do you really believe in a "next gen" OS from Palm? Do you really believe that it takes two years to produce a Linux kernel?

Do you really believe that they have a two year window? Do you believe that the WM band-aid will hold for two years or that a WM user wants to run it on a Palm product? Do you really believe that Palm will still be around at the end of 2008?

Do you believe in the tooth fairy? The Great Pumpkin?
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Hmmm... I'm a 650 user and was thinking about upgrading to the 755 when Verizon gets it. After reading these post, it doesn't seem like a good move. The 650 is working for me, so why change.

ET
    To get 3G data speeds? I have waited years for a POS 3G phone that would work world-wide. I still have not given up my 650. Expect to be using it when there is no more Palm.
    My belief is that there would be no reason to have a Palm/Linux OS if it were not backwards compatible. Just go WinMob 6 and be done with it.

However, Palm has an incredible 3rd party vendor base and consumer base with 10 years of purchased software that they cannot ignore.

The new OS should be backwards compatible. I believe Palm has stated that and it is my expectation. Cannot even begin to imagine the uproar if it isn't.

Cheers, Perry
    Every new version of Palm OS has left orphan applications in its wake. While some applications were upgraded to the new OS others were not. No reason to believe this one would be different.

However, it is difficult to believe in anything that is more than a year out on anyone's development schedule. Only Perry can believe in anything that is that far out on Palm's schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Every new version of Palm OS has left orphan applications in its wake. While some applications were upgraded to the new OS others were not. No reason to believe this one would be different.

However, it is difficult to believe in anything that is more than a year out on anyone's development schedule. Only Perry can believe in anything that is that far out on Palm's schedule.
    Hi whmurray!

Agreed. Some orphan applications have been left behind each time, but the great percentage of my software has gone forward.

As for your last comment: I resemble that remark.
    Heck, I have believed in the 900P for the last 20 months, what's another 12 or so?

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 10/11/2007 at 05:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I have owned and loved many Plams and started the Treo line with the 600. I upgraded to the 650 when it first came out. It was a stable work horse but started automatically rebooting about 4 times a day 6 months ago. This has become a serious problem if I need to use the phone ASAP as I race out of the office and its rebooting I am faced with a delay. I ran the problem through Palm and my carrier with no fixes. Then the hotsnyc cradles started not working so I switched to blue tooth, slower but dependable. Then I started searching the net and found treocentral, great site and learned how much I could improve the usefulness of my 650. The OS is old but is easy to use and fits most of my needs. I looked at upgrading but read all the problems with the newer treos and would have to switch carriers to get the 755p. I keep hoping Palm will get its act together soon as I am beginning to look very hard at other smartphones. I do not like the windows OS. Hope springs eternal but if the 650 crashes before Palm comes out with a real 'new & improved' treo then I am outa here.
    Hi whmurray!

Agreed. Some orphan applications have been left behind each time, but the great percentage of my software has gone forward.

As for your last comment: I resemble that remark.
    Heck, I have believed in the 900P for the last 20 months, what's another 12 or so?

Cheers, Perry.
    lol

[For any who are new to Treo Central, Perry always sees the Palm glass as at least half full while I tend to see it as half empty. He is far more patient than I but has not been waiting nearly so long. He is a CDMA user while I am a GSM user. This last difference creates an uncrossable chasm between us.]
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/11/2007 at 06:04 PM.
  8.    #28  
    lol

[For any who are new to Treo Central, Perry always sees the Palm glass as at least half full while I tend to see it as half empty. He is far more patient than I but has not been waiting nearly so long. He is a CDMA user while I am a GSM user. This last difference creates an uncrossable chasm between us.]
    Whether the glass may be 1/2 empty or 1/2 full, whatever liquid is inside is going sour for having sat there so long!
  9.    #29  
    Having a few orphaned applications is expected on an upgrade. What bugs me is that the applications most detrimentally affected in going from the 650 to the 755 are the actual PalmOS applications.

Blazer - 10 seconds to load due to poor OS Caching!
    Receiving a TXT message from a new person - 8 seconds to parse!
    Phone App - can't search and dial (functionality removed)
    1-2 Second Pause after loading applications. So if you click to the phone dialer and start dialing once you see the application, it'll miss your first 1-2 digits unless you wait an extra 1-2 seconds after seeing it come up.
    Deluxe version of included PTunes 3.x does not support 755p hardware

Bottom line is that they have a major caching/memory management issue. Perhaps this is due to the increased memory. Whatever the case it cripples the phone in many ways. Sorry if I sound like a broken record. I just hope Palm gets a clue!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12