1.    #1  
    When I say full internet I mean when you browse the web, will u be able to view the websites like you do on a pc or will it be a mobile form of web browsing like the 700w?
    I really want a phone with full internet
    If you want a phone with the "full" internet experience, then get an iphone. In my experience, Opera Mini is sufficient enough to replicate a full experience.
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Current MP Games: Team Fortress 2 (PC), Halo 3 (360)

3.    #3  
    is opera mini free?
    Should be
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    You're not going to get a PC like browsing experience on a device with only a 320 x 240 screen and even the iPhone's 320 x 480 screen is too small IMHO. The Nokia N770 does a pretty decent job thanks to a 800 x 480 screen
    If you want the "full internet" use your PC. Even the iPhone can't do the "full internet" (which is a bunch of marketing BS) including its inability to render flash. It can't even access most of what's on YouTube, despite that being one of its key selling points.

Bunch of lemmings going after the full internet like it's the holy grail or something.

What the Centro (and any Treo, and the iPhone) does really well is convert the "full" web page into a format that is easily readable on a small screen with limited resolution. That's accomplished either by scrolling around the page viewing a little bit at a time or by compressing everything into a single column, depending on your preferences.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  7.    #7  
    the opera mini works great. exactly what i was looking for.
    The iphone's browser is second to none in a phone. Sorry.

That isn't hype. That's probably the best aspect about the iphone other than the screen.
    I don't think he's really dissing it compared to other phones, but as far as being full fledged internet like at home it still lacks in some areas including areas it's supposed to excel. Doesn't mean it's still not better than other phones. Personally, for quick browsing, I'd rather have the watered down, formated for my screen type. I need to do things simple and quick as I'm usually surfing for a purpose. I don't need the full page rendering. Though if I was just lounging around and surfing, that would be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The iphone's browser is second to none in a phone. Sorry.

That isn't hype. That's probably the best aspect about the iphone other than the screen.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The iphone's browser is second to none in a phone.
    But that's the whole point, sure it's great for a phone but it doesn't compare with using a PC. No amount of clever programming is going to get around the restrictions imposed by using a small screen with a low resolution.
    Don't forget that you will have to get the IBM Java engine on the Centro before you can load and run Opera.
  12. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hmarcelus View Post
    When I say full internet I mean when you browse the web, will u be able to view the websites like you do on a pc or will it be a mobile form of web browsing like the 700w?
    I really want a phone with full internet
    It doesn't exist, or at least not in the same form as you'd find on a PC.

Browsing on Smartphones is all basically the same experience. Some are better than others, but it is a marginal experience at best. No way around it because the screen will never be big enough.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Obviously this is digressing into another "which is better" discussion.

I tried the iPod Touch/Safari combo. Looks nice but not practical. Zooming and swishing all over the place was a waste of my time. I want to read the story not see the useless graphics with clicking on many sub-links, for this reason a combo of full RSS feeds and mobile formatted websites are much better for my needs.

I can read a NY Times article much faster on my 240x240 Treo than the iPhone even over Wifi. The actual information displayed is the same on both devices, one just has more frippery.

Ultimately it would be nice if Mobile Safari could switch between mobile formatting and full. That would be a nice advantage. But that constitutes and "option" which Apple abhors.

Further, "full internet" is more than just the web. I'd throw in VOIP, IM, P2P, RSS reader, streaming of all media and downloading files a large part of "the full internet". 3G also helps, not dial-up modem speeds.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Ultimately it would be nice if Mobile Safari could switch between mobile formatting and full. That would be a nice advantage. But that constitutes and "option" which Apple abhors.
    Blazer does give you the option of viewing a page optimized for mobile, or in "full-page" style a la iPhone, where you have to scroll around left and right to see the page just like it's rendered on a PC (I'm pretty sure PIE does the same thing). If you're actually reading text though, you find very quickly that it's much more practical to just set it to all appear in one column and scroll up and down instead of having to scroll left and right at each line or zoom in and out and in and out on the iPhone.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    I don't see where 3G helps that much to be honest. I've had both the Treo and iphone with me the past few weeks alternating in making a final decision to keep the iphone. I swear the iphone is much faster at loading webpages even on EDGE. The difference is night and day for me.

I respect your opinion though. Full internet to me means rendering the webpage as its meant to be seen on a desktop. The iphone does this pretty well. The rest aren't even close...yet. I'm sure that day is coming. But we'll need to see Opera or a new browser (cough..palm..) step up.

Back to the 3G part, it could make a big difference with the iphone perhaps...but i think the other browsers (or other OS's like palm) just have some limitations right now.

But man, you want an option to make the browser on the iphone display in "crappy Treo like mobile full page mode" ? Ouch...i'd hope Palm and MS are thinking the other direction..
    Last edited by cardfan; 10/09/2007 at 05:20 PM.
    Biggest difference you'll notice is downloading large images/videos/files. You probably don't download a lot of files on your iPhone because of lack of 3rd party support - but when I had my 700wx, I would download things quite a bit and it was a lot faster than any AT&T device I've seen.

Oops..you'd be right. I've downloaded mostly 3rd party apps very quickly on the treo. And of course, i noticed the difference tethering...treo 600 vs 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

To a certain extent, you can rig the game by bookmarking your favorite websites after first using a proxy browser like Skweezer.net or google/m. I've found it doesn't work for everything, but it improves certain sites quite a bit.