1.    #1  
    It's interesting when I navigate through the download menus, and select 755p, the download page reads "A web download version is not available...". So I go back and select 700p, then "Palm Desktop & Hotsync...", then "Download", and I get to select device again. This time, I can select 755p and I am able to download v. 4.1.4E.

In any event, this post is about Palm Desktop 6.2 Beta for Windows. If you chose the OS as "Windows Vista", you will find this client. It is now "Windows Vista Compatible". A "Install Tool" replaces the old "Quick Install Tool".

I noticed that there is no 64-bit USB driver support. Question: Does a 64-bit Vista machine have the drivers to see the Treo properly, or does this mean that one will not be able to sync the Treo on a 64-bit machine?

Does anyone have a 64-bit Vista machine with a working Hotsync? If so, what version?

Thanks.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    yes I have Vista 64 and NO it cannot see the Treo - no USB drivers.
    I think it is more fair to say old crappy Install Tool replaces Quick Install
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    yes I have Vista 64 and NO it cannot see the Treo - no USB drivers.
    It looks like BT is the only option at this time. 64-bit Vista requires certified drivers to improve stability and security, making the process more expensive and time consuming for the publishers. While there is a hack for it, no major 3rd party company woudl suggest that you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by ahsirg
    I think it is more fair to say old crappy Install Tool replaces Quick Install
    "...old crappy Install Tool..."? Was the Install Tool part of the desktop in some previous version? Why is it crappy compared to the Quick Install?

Thanks.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    Install Tool was there ever since the Pilot and it never changed. You can find it in the any palm desktop folder named InstApp.exe
    Quick Install sports a MUCH nicer interface and integration into Windows.
    [QUOTE"...old crappy Install Tool..."? Was the Install Tool part of the desktop in some previous version? Why is it crappy compared to the Quick Install?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

1. The current Vista installer will NOT install .exe programs, only .prc programs.

2. The current Vista installer will NOT install conduits for such things as weather and currency updates.

Palm admits to both these shortcomings on its beta site. If you want to install .exe software, you have to do it via an XP machine, and then sync it to a Vista machine. And if you want to update weather and currency information, you have to do it via your wireless network.

And Palm's beta still does not sync properly with many computers, as evidenced by many of the posts here, as well as Palm's own discussion site.

Yet Palm continues to sell brand new $600 phones knowing fully well that they have no proper way to sync them with current computers!!!

It's been a year since Vista's release, and although everyone else has full Vista software, Palm does not! And it hasn't offered a single improvement to it's so-called Beta program for the last 4 months! This is DISGRACEFUL!!! SHAME ON YOU, PALM!!! Palm DESERVES to go belly-up!!!
    Last edited by Ernie; 10/29/2007 at 12:35 PM.
    The Treo 600 may be "Buck Rogers," but Handspring Customer Service is strictly "Moe, Larry, and Curly"!!!