Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Hey,

What app do you guys use on your 700P for email alerts? I'm looking for an app that only makes the LED flash when there's new mail? (and don't care for the built-in app)

Thanks!!

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    Hmmm...I use Butler, but it may not hit exactly what you want. You can control the LED to some extent. You can change the color and flash pattern for each of the following major categories:

• charging
    • charged
    • voicemail
    • attention grabber

...and you can configure attention grabber to include (or ignore) any of the following items

• attention manager (normal alerts)
    • incoming call
    • incoming SMS
    • voicemail
    • butler's alarms (i.e., 6 different butler-provided alarm clock serttings)

...with separate settings for day and night (you choose the times).

I assume email falls under "normal alerts"...but so may other items (e.g., missed call).

Sorry...that's the best I have. BTW, you might get more answers if you post this question in either the apps or utilities forum.

cheers,
    Steve
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Chatter. You can easily set it to just flash when an email arrives.
    I use Chatter also with the default LED notification of fast blinking green. You can change this to a constant Red or Orange if you prefer.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    I'm with Steve on this one - I use butler with VersaMail and that combination has worked great for me!
    Ditto!
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I use Chatter also with the default LED notification of fast blinking green. You can change this to a constant Red or Orange if you prefer.
    I cannot seem to find how to change the LED notification on my 700p with chattermail. I can only turn it on or off (Currently it is not working for some reason). How can I set it to orange as you described in chatter?

Thanks

EDIT: Found what I was looking for. Typing the command into console "indicator color xxxx" where xxxx can be green, red, orange.
    Last edited by barakaspeed; 10/09/2007 at 05:00 PM.
    The correct syntax for the console is: "indicator xxxx"
    xxxx can be: blink, orange, or red
    ex: indicator orange

Although typing the word "color" between indicator and xxxx works, it's not necessary.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Can you set it to flash orange? If so, what is the command?

"indicator blink orange"
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_T View Post
    Can you set it to flash orange? If so, what is the command?

"indicator blink orange"
    No, it's either blink: fast flashing green; orange: steady orange; red: steady red. Can't make the orange or red blink.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Do you guys really like Chatter? Really?? If found it to be inferior to Versamail in almost every way particularly in email presentment. Definitely not good enough to keep on my 700P.

Am I missin' somethin'???

Thanks,

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    Do you guys really like Chatter? Really?? If found it to be inferior to Versamail in almost every way particularly in email presentment. Definitely not good enough to keep on my 700P.

Thanks,

SMEGGIE
    Some of the things I've noticed and prefer Chatter for:

1) I like the Summary View, where I can see all my email accounts in one view without having to cycle through them.
    2) My IMAP and Exchange accounts are synced with very minimal delays (10 seconds max I'd say in keeping synced with updates)
    3) Account checking is done in the background, allowing me to continue to compose an email if I am doing so (no popup window telling me it's logging in and checking an account)

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post

Thanks,

SMEGGIE
    Agree with Nacho. I like Versamail too, but the summary view is worth the cost alone if you have multiple accounts. Additionally, if I were ever to upgrade VM, I would be forced to use push with it, and my IT people would require me to have to enter a password every time I checked my email. However, somehow the Chatter push avoids tipping off the Exchange server, and I get push with no problems. My only concern with Chatter is that this is the last version, but I'm counting on keeping my 700P for a while. Chatter is very good.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    For me Chatter works great. There are many things I like about it but to answer you questions as to why I use it instead of VersaMail there are three main reasons:

1. Try push e-mail that works without complicated IT set-up or permisisions on the back end. Chatter syncs in (near) real time so if an e-mail hits the server it hits my Treo. If I delete it on the Treo it's off the server.

2. Chatter works in the background. I don't have to tell it to get mail and I don't get status bars and other things when I pick up mail, it just shows up.

3. Access to IMAP folders. When I get an e-mail in Chatter I can read it and then move it to a sub-folder on Exchange, which is a great feature.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Some of the things I've noticed and prefer Chatter for:

1) I like the Summary View, where I can see all my email accounts in one view without having to cycle through them.
    2) My IMAP and Exchange accounts are synced with very minimal delays (10 seconds max I'd say in keeping synced with updates)
    3) Account checking is done in the background, allowing me to continue to compose an email if I am doing so (no popup window telling me it's logging in and checking an account)
    #1 is a nice feature I would like. But #2 and #3 are the same with versamail (at least for me).
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    #1 is a nice feature I would like. But #2 and #3 are the same with versamail (at least for me).
    Yeah, I agree. I get the same with #2 and #3.

I don't even check my other accounts from the road because they become so riddled with SPAM.

Phew! I thought I was the only one there for a while!!

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

No, it's either blink: fast flashing green; orange: steady orange; red: steady red. Can't make the orange or red blink.

Actually you can additionally choose "green" to have a solid green indication.