1.    #1  
    I have a lot of experience with Windows Mobile/PPC/SP, but the new Centro is getting me excited about Palm OS again.

WM has many short comings, as well as POS. I have a lot more knowledge in the WM arena than I do w/ POS, so I have some questions.

I dusted off the Treo 650 and decided to use it as a test mule before the pre-ordered Centro arrives. From what I can tell, they run very similar version POS (v.5.4.x).

1) Can POS multi-task (like WM) through a 3rd-party app? That is, if I have the browser open go to a site, open an email client and start composing a message, then open the picture application and take a photo--can I go back to the browser to the page I was looking at, go back to the email client to the mid-composing email, and so on? Can this be done?

2) Java/J2ME/JVM. Aside from the Palm-supplied IBM JVM, is there another option? I find the IBM JVM to be somewhat limited in terms of compatibility.

3) "Back" button and soft buttons, a la (again) WM. I know I can use the backspace key for going back in some applications. For navigation purposes, a dedicated "back" button would be very nice. Soft buttons would be nice too, for applications like Opera Mini. Can these be accomplished through software (and retask the mail & calendar buttons as soft buttons)?

4) Z-Launcher. I've used it on and off and it works well. I miss having a bluetooh status icon. Are there themes that provide phone AND bt status? Are there other, more recommended launchers?

5) Email client. I know Versamail is not the greatest. For my purposes, it simply won't work. I am evaluating Agendus and Snapper. I am looking for an email client that supports the following:

a. IMAP4, and many nested IMAP folders
    b. Sync email based on last x days (Agendus dosen't seem to do this)
    c. Support multiple identities (so I can reply using a different account)
    d. Supports SSL

Any recommendations?

6) Pocket Tunes Deluxe claims to support Playsforsure/Microsoft DRM. Can someone confirm that it works with Yahoo! Music subscription (not download) music? It is not listed as a supported app on Yahoo! Music's site.

7) What is the best/top rated podcast/RSS reader?

8) Cut/copy & paste. Can this be done through software?

9) T9/predictive text. Does this exist and is there a 3rd-party software for it?

I like some of the popular utilities like Butler and Clean.U, and I am looking at SMS Commander and a few others. I guess I will need Audio Gateway to get A2DP...

Thanks for any information. I do appreciate it.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    Okay, I'll give it a shot...but hopefully others will weigh in and fill in my blanks and/or correct me in spots.

Quote Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
    I have a lot of experience with Windows Mobile/PPC/SP, but the new Centro is getting me excited about Palm OS again.

WM has many short comings, as well as POS. I have a lot more knowledge in the WM arena than I do w/ POS, so I have some questions.

I dusted off the Treo 650 and decided to use it as a test mule before the pre-ordered Centro arrives. From what I can tell, they run very similar version POS (v.5.4.x).

yes, they do....although the newer units have some minor software tweaks, some additional applications, and a couple of really valuable features...like 3G, phone calls now suspend data (rather than kicking to voice mail), a popup most recently used application menu, etc.

1) Can POS multi-task (like WM) through a 3rd-party app? That is, if I have the browser open go to a site, open an email client and start composing a message, then open the picture application and take a photo--can I go back to the browser to the page I was looking at, go back to the email client to the mid-composing email, and so on? Can this be done?

Multitask? Well, not really. In some areas it seems like it. I can set my email client to poll every x minutes and I never see it happening. I can do other things at the same time...but for the most part, no. That said, it can do everything that you are asking without multitasking. You can set the browser to start at the page that you were on when you were last in the app. In fact, that's the default setting. Draft emails will not be lost if you switch to a different app and come back. In fact, the concept of "exiting an application" doesn't really exist on the Palm OS per se. You just switch between apps...but you don't ever make a decision to "shut one down".

2) Java/J2ME/JVM. Aside from the Palm-supplied IBM JVM, is there another option? I find the IBM JVM to be somewhat limited in terms of compatibility.

Not of which I am aware. After much struggling, most of us have found settings that make Opera 3 Mini stable, but I cannot get the Opera Mini 4 Beta to run without locking up after a couple of minutes. Yes, Java on PalmOS sucks...and probably will until the Linux-based Palm OS shows up.

3) "Back" button and soft buttons, a la (again) WM. I know I can use the backspace key for going back in some applications. For navigation purposes, a dedicated "back" button would be very nice. Soft buttons would be nice too, for applications like Opera Mini. Can these be accomplished through software (and retask the mail & calendar buttons as soft buttons)?

It's application dependent...but, in general, navigation on the PalmOS is far easier (and less click-intensive) than it is on WinMob. WinMob is like having a mini laptop on your phone...and the navigation suffers accordingly. PalmOS was designed for a PDA (and then tweaked for phones) so, in general, it is easier to get around...but it's really up to application developers to define the experience within each application. Since you mentioned it, I'll say that I find Opera Mini to be among both the best and worst in terms of navigation. Navigation is very easy with the five-way nav key...but it also does not utilize many standard Palm OS navigation and control features (like the "menu" key)...most likely because it is a somewhat generic Java application. Navigation between applications, however, is extremely easy. There are countless ways...including using the launcher, using hard buttons, using hotkeys, pressing and holding the home key to get a popup of your most recently used applications, ...

4) Z-Launcher. I've used it on and off and it works well. I miss having a bluetooh status icon. Are there themes that provide phone AND bt status? Are there other, more recommended launchers?

I haven't used zLauncher in some time, so I cannot comment on it. There are other launchers...and some other applications that provide other functionality have launchers built in (e.g., DialByPhoto/UltimatePhone)

5) Email client. I know Versamail is not the greatest. For my purposes, it simply won't work. I am evaluating Agendus and Snapper. I am looking for an email client that supports the following:

a. IMAP4, and many nested IMAP folders
    b. Sync email based on last x days (Agendus dosen't seem to do this)
    c. Support multiple identities (so I can reply using a different account)
    d. Supports SSL

Any recommendations?

SnapperMail and ChatterMail seem to be popular...but I use the default client so someone else will need to help here.

6) Pocket Tunes Deluxe claims to support Playsforsure/Microsoft DRM. Can someone confirm that it works with Yahoo! Music subscription (not download) music? It is not listed as a supported app on Yahoo! Music's site.

Sorry, once again I cannot help here. I hate DRM and never buy content that is limited in this manner. On the positive side, Amazon just opened a DRM-free pure MP3 store. That said, I LOVE Pocket Tunes Deluxe. The streaming internet radio is awesome.

7) What is the best/top rated podcast/RSS reader?

Cant help here either. I listen to PodCasts on Pocket Tunes, but I don't have a real PodCast client...or use RSS feeds.

8) Cut/copy & paste. Can this be done through software?

Yes...and can be extended further through third-party apps and utilities.

9) T9/predictive text. Does this exist and is there a 3rd-party software for it?

There are software solutions...but in general, most folks just use the keyboard.

I like some of the popular utilities like Butler and Clean.U, and I am looking at SMS Commander and a few others. I guess I will need Audio Gateway to get A2DP...

Butler rocks. I particularly like its LED control, hotkey extension, and remote wipe & lock features...but it does much more. There are many other fantastic freeware, shareware, and commercial applications...and threads posted both here and on other Treo sites where folks list their top choices.

Thanks for any information. I do appreciate it.
    cheers,
    Steve
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    5: Chatter does not sync email from the computer. It will do the other things and is really a great program.

6: Yes, PTunes does work with Yahoo drm. Personally, I just strip off the drm, even though I have Yahoo Unlimited. I have had the licensing get messed up and then had to reload the songs and that was a pain. But Yahoo will recognize the Treo in it's program and you can drag and drop (slower than a card reader).
    Resceo Neeews for your RSS/podcast needs
    Snappermail will handle all of your #5.
    Matty
    Snappermail Enterprise edition that is.
    Matty
  7.    #7  
    Thanks to everyone who has responded. I evaluated Snapper, Chatter, and Agendus (all support SSL) in detail and here are my findings:

Agendus: nice UI, nice SMS client, good use of fonts and menus. It does not really support multiple identities (for SMTP/replying to emails) and seems somewhat unstable (randomly reboots the Treo).

Chatter: I would go with it if it handled IMAP folders differently. IDLE works great with my IMAP server and I get email in realtime. The trouble is that I have to define each folder I want to sync. I have some fifteen folders in one account and it would be a pain to create a "mailbox" for each one.

Snapper: I agree that this is the one. It's by no means perfect, but it will do. I wish there were more font option for supporting smaller font sizes. I like that I can create seperate SMTP profiles.

I will give the Resco RSS client a try.

I found Clipper as an enhancement for the clipboard, TextPlus for predictive text entry, TreoSelectText as a text highlighter, and TealLock to allow me to secure applications (such as securing the photo album). So far, Hi-Launcher seems to be a good, light weight enhancement.

I would appreciate any other comments.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    Quote Originally Posted by snovvman View Post

Snapper: I agree that this is the one. It's by no means perfect, but it will do. I wish there were more font option for supporting smaller font sizes. I like that I can create seperate SMTP profiles.
    If you like more Font options I would suggest you give Font Smoother a try.