1.    #1  
    So my 650 died and I have a 700p.

I used NVBackup to backup all of my stuff from my 650, and I tried restoring it to my 700p.

However, it restored none of my contacts.

How can i fix this?
    You are going to run into problems by restoring your 650 backup to the 700P. There may be some incapatibilities and it is always best to do a clean install on a new device, especially a new and different device.

The contact issue may be because (if I recall), the contact program is a bit different on the 700 from the 650. How about a hotsync? Make sure you install the software that came on your 700P disk. Otherwise, you could do a search and find which files hold your contact info.
  3.    #3  
    Well, they literally handed me a 700 without any discs or anything.

I can't hotsynch since I don't have my 650 anymore. Unless there's a way to import the contacts off of my SD card and synch it with my 700.
  4.    #4  
    Are any of these files my contacts?

BackupBuddyVFS_BLOG.pdb
    NesEM
    RN_AUDIO
    BackupBuddyVFS_BVFS_appl_a68k.
    BackupBuddyVFS_DATA.pdb
    ZReaderLite_ZRdr_appl_a68k.prc
    ZReaderLite.prc
    ZLT_BlueHiCon_Std_256.prc
    ZLT_BlueHiCon_Hi_256.prc
    ZLT_AquawoodXP_Std_64K.prc
    ZLT_AquawoodXP_Std_256.prc
    ZLT_AquawoodXP_Std_16.prc
    ZLT_AquawoodXP_Hi_64K.prc
    ZLQuickLaunchHack.prc
    ZLI_WinXP_Sony.prc
    ZLI_PalmOS5_Sony.prc
    ZLauncherManager_ZLMg_appl_a68
    ZLauncherManager.prc
    ZLauncherDB.pdb
    ZLauncher_ZLCR_appl_a68k.prc
    ZLauncher.prc
    ZL_FavoriteListDB.pdb
    ZL_DeletedListDB.pdb
    ZL_CategoriesDB.pdb
    Zap!2016_AsZS_appl_a68k.prc
    Zap!2016.prc
    Xr0wDB.pdb
    Xr0w_Xr0w_appl_a68k.prc
    Xr0w.prc
    WP_P2P_WP2P_appl_a68k.prc
    WP_P2P.prc
    WordView+_DTGR_appl_a68k.prc
    WordView+.prc
    Welcome_setp_appl_a68k.prc
    Welcome_enUS.prc
    Welcome.prc
    Web_Tips_SPCS_enUS.prc
    Web_Tips_SPCS.prc
    Web_Tips.prc
    Web UserData.pdb
    Web URL Autofill.pdb
    Web Internal History.pdb
    Web Find Autofill.pdb
    Web Cookies.pdb
    Warfare Incorporated_WARI_appl
    Warfare Incorporated.prc
    vPokerDB.pdb
    vPoker_vPok_appl_a68k.prc
    vPoker.prc
    Volvo.pdb
    Volkswagen.pdb
    VirtualModem_enUS.prc
    VirtualModem.prc
    UsbOmap_enUS.prc
    UsbOmap.prc
    upIRC_uIRC_appl_a68k.prc
    upIRC.prc
    Unsaved Preferences.prc
    UIAppShell.prc
    UI.prc
    UartOmap123_enUS.prc
    UartOmap123.prc
    Tutorial_Tips_SPCS_enUS.prc
    Tutorial_Tips_SPCS.prc
    Tutorial_Tips.prc
    Tutorial_SPCS_enUS.prc
    Tutorial_SPCS.prc
    Tutorial.prc
    TransparencyLibrary.prc
    TonesLibrary_SPCS.prc
    TonesLibrary_enUS.prc
    TonesLibrary.prc
    ToDoDB.pdb
    Toast Timer_TTmr_appl_a68k.prc
    Toast Timer.prc
  5.    #5  
    I also need my calendar as well.
    Your contacts are found in:
    AddressDB
    ContactsDB-PAdd

Your Calendar is found in:
    DatebookDB
    CalendarDB-PDat

There should be more files to your backup. It looks like its only did a partial backup if that is a complete list of files.
  7.    #7  
    I'm trying to use FileZ to manually copy some stuff over, but it's not going.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Your contacts are found in:
    AddressDB
    ContactsDB-PAdd

Your Calendar is found in:
    DatebookDB
    CalendarDB-PDat

There should be more files to your backup. It looks like its only did a partial backup if that is a complete list of files.
    You're right, I found others in some subfolders. But using FileZ, it will reject anything when I attempt to copy it to the Internal memory.
    I think it is likely that NVBackup of one device type to another is going to be problematic. NVBackup does not back up the files in the same manner as most backup programs. From the README.TXT (which you read, right?) it says:
    "Unlike most other backup programs (Dmitry's PowerBackup is the
    one exception I know of right now), this one grabs data straight
    out of the hidden directory where they are hidden on NVFS device.
    In theory, this should make the backup faster and more reliable.
    But because doing this is undocumented, there is always danger.

A backup made with NVBackup is likely not to work on other devices
    (e.g., a T5 backup cannot be restored on a TX). Don't try--it may
    crash your device. Also, if you make a backup, upgrade your
    Operating System, the old backup may not work--instead, either
    use another backup utility, or use hotsync to back up across OS
    upgrade.
    "

You may be able to try another backup program (like Backupman or something). Generally, like gapost said, you are much better off doing a clean install, but that's pretty hard w/no Palm Software disk. Where did you get the 700 from? They really owe ya a disk (if it was your carrier that replaced it, or Palm).
  10.    #10  
    Yes, I did read that message, but I was hoping it wouldn't matter.

I even tried manually overwriting the address* and calendar*, but when I rebooted, it would reject the files (from the 650) and replace them with new empty ones.

This is a big problem for me, and I'll do anything I can to get my calendar and contacts back.
  11.    #11  
    My plan as of right now is to restore my stuff to a treo 650 and then use another backup program.
  12. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooldino View Post
    My plan as of right now is to restore my stuff to a treo 650 and then use another backup program.

You seem to be spending too much time trying to figure out how to save databases. There is no need for this. In fact, doing so could cause corruption on your new device.

Instead, I'd recommend that you spend time setting up your 700P so that it is functioning properly with your desired add-on software, then populate the unit with you PIM data. Specifically:

1. Sync all of your PIM data from your 650 to good desktop sync points. Palm desktop will mostly work for this.

2. Get all of the software (i.e., PRC files) that you'd like to install in your 700P in one place on your desktop so you have them on hand to install on your new handheld.

3. Install all of your desired software on your 700P and make sure everything is working right.

4. Run an NVbackup of your machine and call it “Virgin Install,” or something along these lines. This is a snapshop of your handheld is a clean state with all of your desired software. If things go really bad with your machine, this give you a good place to restore to.

5. Sync all of your PIM data to your handheld.

6. Fine tune as needed.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Q, that all is good advice. However, I think you missed the fact that his 650 was replaced with a 700 at the store and he did not have his old device.

Apparently, also, he had not done a hotsync and relied on NVBackup as the complete backup. I have said it before, but here is another example of why it is so important to do hotsync's with a computer. Backups to a card are great, for when you are not near a computer. But if you only enter your PIM on your Treo, and backup to your card, what happens when (not if), you loose your Treo? Also, in this case, the backup did not backup all the data.

So, the moral of this story is to do backups to your card, but also hotsync to your computer.

Kooldina, I think your only option is to do the procedure that Q recommended, since you probably aren't going to get your info back. You never really said, but it seems that you don't have the info on your computer. NVBackup is pretty good and free, but many people pay a little bit of money for a solid program like Resco Backup.
  14.    #14  
    I ended up getting it fixed. Went back to the store, restored my old 650 from the SD card, and then beamed my contacts and calendar to the new phone.
    I ended up getting it fixed. Went back to the store, restored my old 650 from the SD card, and then beamed my contacts and calendar to the new phone.
    That's good. Now work on getting it hotsynced too.
  16.    #16  
    Already did.

My problem with hotsynching is that it generally screws things up.

When I did it last night, it duplicated all of my contacts for me. JOY!
  17. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Q, that all is good advice. However, I think you missed the fact that his 650 was replaced with a 700 at the store and he did not have his old device.
    No, I did catch the fact that his original 650 was toast. However, in the post right before mine, he states that his plan is to "Restore his stuff to a 650 and then use another backup program." I assumed he'd gotten his hands on another 650.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
  18. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Already did.

My problem with hotsynching is that it generally screws things up.

When I did it last night, it duplicated all of my contacts for me. JOY!
    Hotsyncing doesn't screw things up. The problem is that you either don't have the conduits setup properly or your sync point isn't properly interpreting your data properly.

Think about it for a minute. Not hotsyncing defeats 1/2 of the purpose of caring a PDA around.

Get your conduits and sync points squared away and hotsync frequently. You won't regret it.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Having exactly the same problem. My backup is on a SD card from my 650 which is dead dead dead. New phone is a 700p. I used jkware CardBackup, and can't do a partial install.
    The only thing I really really need is my contacts.
    Can NVbackup selectively reinstall these?
    from its own backup files: yes. From another program's backup files: unknown but probably not.

You could install cardbackup and do a full restore. Use NVBackup and do an immediate backup. Hard Reset the device and only restore the contacts database from NVBackup.

How does CardBackup store the files on the SD card? Can you read the individual files with a card reader or with FileZ? If so, just hotsync the contacts database to your new phone. Or try copying it over to the phone.