Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
  1. pteezay's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
       #1  
    I recently saw an article about the Freedom Mini GPS Receiver and it seems pretty interesting. I would like an external GPS to sync with my 700wx to utilize the GPS feature on my phone. Has anyone tried this device with say Windows LIVE or google maps to see if it works. The device is $99 and don't want a device that doesn't link right. Any feedback?
  2. dvdmon's Avatar
    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    #2  
    Just googled and there's actually a review of it here!

    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1363-1.htm
    Twitter: @dvdmon

  3. ljcobb's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    #3  
    I just got mine this afternoon. I 've paired it with the phone and it works under Windows Live. I haven't yet gotten Google Maps to talk to it.

    ( I'll post detailed directions on my blog tomorrow and there is a thread someone was asking how to hook it up with TomTom and I gave him/her all the port numbers and details etc. )

    So far I just had time to charge it, and set it up. It did find me at home. I had to go outside to get the initial satellite lock, but it kept the lock after I came indoors.

    So it does work with Windows Live, GPS is accurate, it's too soon to tell you more than that.
  4. #4  
    Wow, that is pretty impressive. I just recently got a new bluetooth receiver that works great and if I am golfing or walking I can wear it on my hip with a holster it came with. However, you always have to remember to bring it with you unlike this one which would just stay on the key chain. I wonder how well it would work in the pocket? The reviewer said it worked in the ignition, so I bet it would work well in the pocket as well.
  5. ljcobb's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    #5  
    I think it'd be just fine in your pocket, it's working in the house on my desk.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcobb View Post
    I think it'd be just fine in your pocket, it's working in the house on my desk.
    Where did you end up buying yours? I'm sold.
  7. pteezay's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
       #8  
    this is great news, glad to get good feedback from my orginal post...too bad i see there is a back order with a 10-12 wait to process the order, let alone the downtime to get the thing
  8. #9  
    The TreoCentral Store has them in stock now.

    Just saying.
  9. #10  
    I may be an *****...but I cannot get this thing to work for the life of me with my 700WX .. I have tried Live and Google Maps. I have a simple question...when I search for the Bluetooth Device it finds it. I then pair up..and use the 1234 Code....and I of course choose Serial Port...well when I am done..I goto the "today" screen before I goto Google Maps and/or Live..and I look at my BT Symbol in the upper right corner and it is white with a blue center to indicate a "paired" device. Well before my eyes...it turns Blue with a White Center...I was like WTF?..Now is this Normal?..Usually with an earpiece..that means that you need to turn the BT on and Off and/or repair the device and it's good. or the BT is out of Range. none of these are the case. The BT Freedom is fully charged in my hand and the phone is fully charged as well. I have done a Hard Reboot, update to my phone...repaired the device..and same thing. Now I was thinking that it might be normal..and maybe when you launch the GPS App...then the BT Symbol turns White, cause it's in use @ that time?...Am I right?...or is my GPS defective.
  10. #11  
    Mine arrived, yesterday. Nice strong gps lock in the car (, in the ignition), in the house, at the comic shop.

    It's a tiny big larger than I expected, but I've no complaints. I paired it with my 755p and used it with my Earthmate Street Atlas software with no problems.

    Nice to not have to remember to bring it, find a way to mount it, or carry it in my hands. And my Treo's always with me, so that's not an issue.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  11. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackssei View Post
    I may be an *****...but I cannot get this thing to work for the life of me with my 700WX .. I have tried Live and Google Maps. I have a simple question...when I search for the Bluetooth Device it finds it. I then pair up..and use the 1234 Code....and I of course choose Serial Port...well when I am done..I goto the "today" screen before I goto Google Maps and/or Live..and I look at my BT Symbol in the upper right corner and it is white with a blue center to indicate a "paired" device. Well before my eyes...it turns Blue with a White Center...I was like WTF?..Now is this Normal?..Usually with an earpiece..that means that you need to turn the BT on and Off and/or repair the device and it's good. or the BT is out of Range. none of these are the case. The BT Freedom is fully charged in my hand and the phone is fully charged as well. I have done a Hard Reboot, update to my phone...repaired the device..and same thing. Now I was thinking that it might be normal..and maybe when you launch the GPS App...then the BT Symbol turns White, cause it's in use @ that time?...Am I right?...or is my GPS defective.
    I have the EXACT same thing as you...so far no luck.
  12. pteezay's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
       #13  
    I would like to know...what ports did you use and gps settings wheb you sync your treo with the mini? i just bought on and can't get mine to work with Live search or google maps...i have to somehow get the two one the same page. the bluetooth recognized the mini, but the gps programs can't connect...what gives? i must have some ports off. please help.
  13. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by pteezay View Post
    I would like to know...what ports did you use and gps settings wheb you sync your treo with the mini? i just bought on and can't get mine to work with Live search or google maps...i have to somehow get the two one the same page. the bluetooth recognized the mini, but the gps programs can't connect...what gives? i must have some ports off. please help.
    I have the problem outlines above...i am able to successfully connect the device, but it never seems to pair properly, aka i never get the "paired" blue only the bluetooth is on but nothing is paired blue. I have tried several port setting, but mainly, setting the COM port in bluetooth settings to 4, GPS hardware setting to 4, and software setting to 2 and accordingly in the software.

    I'm starting to think that there is a greater problem with the 700wx's...i bought this in anticipation of a trip coming up next weekend and i'm starting to think at this point that it's going to be completely useless unless i can come up with a solution by then.

    Anyone have any ideas?
  14. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonimac View Post
    I have the problem outlines above...i am able to successfully connect the device, but it never seems to pair properly, aka i never get the "paired" blue only the bluetooth is on but nothing is paired blue. I have tried several port setting, but mainly, setting the COM port in bluetooth settings to 4, GPS hardware setting to 4, and software setting to 2 and accordingly in the software.

    I'm starting to think that there is a greater problem with the 700wx's...i bought this in anticipation of a trip coming up next weekend and i'm starting to think at this point that it's going to be completely useless unless i can come up with a solution by then.

    Anyone have any ideas?
    I've never owned a Windows Mobile device, so the following may be worse than useless. I'd just rather say it, in case it leads to other, better ideas...

    I'm surprised that you can choose COM ports. If that's the case, I wonder if you can delete/add COM ports. If so, I'd try deleting a COM port, then adding one (with the same number), then trying to use that port for your GPS device.

    That helps, sometimes, on my Windows computers. The thing is, there seem to be different types of Bluetooth COM ports to choose from (not just different numbers), so if adding a COM port gives you multiple choices, you might want to give each one a try, just in case.

    Good luck.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  15. #16  
    Ok I got this little turd-bird working on Google Maps and Windows live.
    In bluetooth settings;
    mode= turn on bluetooth
    devices=the partnership of GPS20c
    tap new outgoing port and set up GPS20c (com0)

    Start-settings-programs- GPS program port = COM0
    In Hardware tab-- GPS Hardware port=none
    In Access tab-- uncheck Manage gps automatically
    baud 57600

    Always reset the treo when changing serial ports.
    Reset GPS

    In windows Mobile
    menu-settings- select gps0
    i have catch to storage card 128mb

    goto choose a new location, select current GPS position--- click done and goto maps....u should be able to see where u are now.

    In google maps;
    menu-options;
    set manually
    drop down box=com0
    baud rate drop down box=57600

    menu-track location-should lock on where u are. shows 7 satelites right now.

    Again, i did lots of soft resets on the treo b4 i got this to play.

    Not sure how to use any features of these programs yet, that's tomorrow's job. at least now i know where i am.

    sorry if this isn't too clear, in a hurry, gotta party to goto and wife is hovering lol.
    Last edited by Trabub; 10/13/2007 at 06:39 PM.
  16. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trabub View Post
    Ok I got this little turd-bird working on Google Maps and Windows live.
    In bluetooth settings;
    mode= turn on bluetooth
    devices=the partnership of GPS20c
    tap new outgoing port and set up GPS20c (com0)

    Start-settings-programs- GPS program port = COM0
    In Hardware tab-- GPS Hardware port=none
    In Access tab-- uncheck Manage gps automatically
    baud 57600

    Always reset the treo when changing serial ports.
    Reset GPS

    In windows Mobile
    menu-settings- select gps0
    i have catch to storage card 128mb

    goto choose a new location, select current GPS position--- click done and goto maps....u should be able to see where u are now.

    In google maps;
    menu-options;
    set manually
    drop down box=com0
    baud rate drop down box=57600

    menu-track location-should lock on where u are. shows 7 satelites right now.

    Again, i did lots of soft resets on the treo b4 i got this to play.

    Not sure how to use any features of these programs yet, that's tomorrow's job. at least now i know where i am.

    sorry if this isn't too clear, in a hurry, gotta party to goto and wife is hovering lol.
    FWIW, i tried all of the recommendations and still can't get it to work. My primary problem is i can't get it to pair at all. I'm assuming i need to straighten that out first before i need to worry about COM ports.
  17. #18  
    Hi,

    Can you make/receive calls while using GPS? I have a 700p and this looks very interesting (I've never owned a GPS before). However, if you can't make/receive calls, or if you can't use a Bluetooth headset while using it, I'd rather go with a standalone GPS.

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Bujin; 10/14/2007 at 10:10 AM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  18. #19  
    Hi all,

    I'm the technical manager for freedom input and have just been pointed here by a customer (I think its one of you guys ).

    I haven't got access to a treo unfortunately so can not test this myself. On other Windows Mobile devices I can never remember seeing a Bluetooth icon on the Today screen so I'm thinking this might be something only shown on Treo's.

    The way the GPS unit works is that after you pair it the Bluetooth connection will only be active when you have navigation software asking for GPS co-ordinates. This could well explain why the icon is showing that there is no bluetoth device connected (because at that particular time it is not actively connected).

    If you are able to pair the GPS unit and set it to use the serial port then so far it sounds as if everything is fine. The next step is to then assign the com port to it.

    This is where it can get complicated as some software will require the GPS unit to use a certain COM port, while other software will require you to the the External GPS manager built into WM05/06 (and others will not work with this enabled. Some software will also need you to lower the baud rate to 4800 or 9600 as well.

    I have written instructions on how to change this settings with examples but unfortunately depending on what software you use it can be a case of trail and error to find what COM port and connection settings you need to use.

    http://freedom.helpserve.com/index.p...nloaditemid=87
  19. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyGOP View Post
    Wow, that is pretty impressive. I just recently got a new bluetooth receiver that works great and if I am golfing or walking I can wear it on my hip with a holster it came with. However, you always have to remember to bring it with you unlike this one which would just stay on the key chain. I wonder how well it would work in the pocket? The reviewer said it worked in the ignition, so I bet it would work well in the pocket as well.
    Yep will work fine from the pocket. Like all GPS receivers it needs to have at least a reasonable signal strength when it first connects but once it has the initial lock it is able to use the very weakest of signals. I have been using mine with waypoint logging software while cycling and had the GPS unit chucked at the bottom of a backpack.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions