Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Hi,

    Can you make/receive calls while using GPS? I have a 700p and this looks very interesting (I've never owned a GPS before). However, if you can't make/receive calls, or if you can't use a Bluetooth headset while using it, I'd rather go with a standalone GPS.

    Thanks!
    You should be able to make and recieve calls. You will not be able to use your Bluetooth headset. (That's the way I expect it to work on my 680 if I ever get to try out my new GPS unit...)
  2. #22  
    With my 755p, I cannot make and receive calls AND remain active in my GPS session, at the same time.

    If I get a call, my GPS navigation ceases until the call ends. I hear it's different with Windows Mobile devices, but that's my Palm OS experience.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    With my 755p, I cannot make and receive calls AND remain active in my GPS session, at the same time.

    If I get a call, my GPS navigation ceases until the call ends. I hear it's different with Windows Mobile devices, but that's my Palm OS experience.
    Does navigation pick back up where it left off when you exit the call? What software are you using?
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    Does navigation pick back up where it left off when you exit the call? What software are you using?
    Navigation does not pick back up where I left off when I exit the call. I more or less start from scratch, at the end of my call. I restart the software, connect with the gps receiver, etc.

    I'm using Earthmate Street Atlas software.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Navigation does not pick back up where I left off when I exit the call. I more or less start from scratch, at the end of my call. I restart the software, connect with the gps receiver, etc.

    I'm using Earthmate Street Atlas software.
    That's a pain. I'll try to remember to let you know what happens on my 680 if I ever get back home. I have a new Freedom GPS unit just waiting for me to play with it there...
  6. #26  
    This works just fine with my Treo 650. I have been using Navegador (a free Palm GPS display, works with Bluetooth and available at http://netpage.em.com.br/mmand/navegador.htm ), showing coordinates, altitude, satellites, and a map to track your course, and PrettyMap, which also lets you create maps and shows where you are on the map. (PrettyMap is shareware.)
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    This works just fine with my Treo 650. I have been using Navegador (a free Palm GPS display, works with Bluetooth and available at http://netpage.em.com.br/mmand/navegador.htm ), showing coordinates, altitude, satellites, and a map to track your course, and PrettyMap, which also lets you create maps and shows where you are on the map. (PrettyMap is shareware.)
    That reminds me. I need to try mine with my 650 (now, before I'm traveling and REALLY need it).

    I don't anticipate any problems. So far, it's performed wonderfully (with my 755p). I love being able to get gps locks at home, under tree cover, in stores, etc.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  8. #28  
    Will the Freedom work with a laptop or UMPC? In other words, does it need a Windows XP driver? Does that driver come with the unit? I ask because I am looking to use the Freedom with both my 700p now and a UMPC down the road.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
    Will the Freedom work with a laptop or UMPC? In other words, does it need a Windows XP driver? Does that driver come with the unit? I ask because I am looking to use the Freedom with both my 700p now and a UMPC down the road.
    Excellent question. I assumed it would work just fine with my laptop's gps software. I'll try to test that some time soon and report back.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bowles View Post
    I have been using mine with waypoint logging software while cycling and had the GPS unit chucked at the bottom of a backpack.
    What waypoint logging software do you use? How would you rate it?
    Do the waypoints continue to get logged if you get a call or try to do
    something else?
    Last edited by fulltlt; 10/25/2007 at 10:45 PM.
    Sprint
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
    Will the Freedom work with a laptop or UMPC? In other words, does it need a Windows XP driver? Does that driver come with the unit? I ask because I am looking to use the Freedom with both my 700p now and a UMPC down the road.
    I use it on my laptop, just pair it up like any other GPS device. Make a note of the outgoing COM port and then set the COM port to match within the mapping/logging software.
    Last edited by Paul Bowles; 11/09/2007 at 05:07 AM.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bowles View Post
    I use it on my laptop, just pair it up like any other GPS device. Make a note of the outgoing COM port and then set the COM port to match withing the mapping/logging software.
    It works just dandy on my linux (Ubuntu) laptop too. Obviously not using an XP driver ... ;-)
  13. #33  
    Update on this device:

    No problems at all when using it with Navegador or Where Am I - except that "altitude" is often less accurate, and sometimes even changes of over 100 feet or more within seconds.

    When using this with PrettyMap, I have one persistent problem - PrettyMap loses the signal after 2-4 minutes, and does this consistently, and whether or not I am moving.

    Freedom's literature says that that when the blue LED is on solid, that it is in Power Saving Mode - I believe that's where the signal cutoff occurs in PrettyMap (but not in Navegador or WMI). I have been in contact with PrettyMap's developer, but he can't figure out why the signal cutoff occurs.

    Anyone have a clue why this might be?

    Thx,
    Shneor
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Excellent question. I assumed it would work just fine with my laptop's gps software. I'll try to test that some time soon and report back.
    I realized I hadn't reported back.

    I tried the Freedom with my Sony TX laptop via Bluetooth. Success!

    (I'll take it for granted that it'll work via usb.)
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  15. #35  
    Can someone offer assistance? I have a Treo 750 WM6 and am attempting to utilize GPS Tuner software with the Freedom Keychain. The device works but the software is not connecting. Is it a com port thing?
  16. gwashorn's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #36  
    I have a 650 and thought sometime back the Freedom was listed as workable with the 650. Some here are using the 650. However, on the store page the Freedom is not listed as something that can be used on the 650, only on newer models. Has it changed or just a page mistake etc? I want to get one if it works with my 650. Thanks

    Gary.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by gwashorn View Post
    I have a 650 and thought sometime back the Freedom was listed as workable with the 650. Some here are using the 650. However, on the store page the Freedom is not listed as something that can be used on the 650, only on newer models. Has it changed or just a page mistake etc? I want to get one if it works with my 650. Thanks

    Gary.
    I couldn't make heads nor tails of the "Freedom" website. Blech.

    All I can say is what you already know. The Freedom works with my 650 just as well as it does with my 755p. I switch between the two without a hitch.

    I wouldn't let the apparent lack of the number "650" on the documentation, hinder me. Good luck, whatever you decide.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  18. gwashorn's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #38  
    Thank you and I appreciate the info. I suspect it still works. All it wants is a blue tooth connection but since it no longer was listed on the 650 accessories I was curious. I will get one. Thank you.

    Gary
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by gwashorn View Post
    Thank you and I appreciate the info. I suspect it still works. All it wants is a blue tooth connection but since it no longer was listed on the 650 accessories I was curious. I will get one. Thank you.

    Gary
    Ahh. I'd misunderstood you, before.

    For some reason, that's just how their site is set up, sometimes. For instance, a certain stereo Bluetooth headset doesn't show up under the 755p "umbrella," but I got one anyway, and it works just fine.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  20. dootndo2's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    #40  
    I am interested in this device for 2 purposes. The first to use with my Treo 650 while on the road and the second to use with my laptop with Google Maps. Is there any compare/contrast between the original version and the 2000 model? I couldn't really see any differences besides look. I am also interested in what GPS software I should use on the Treo 650 that will work well with this device.

    Thanks.

    dootndo2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions