Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    GoodGuy,

I thought i saw that GMM 5.0 was going to have a feature that would allow you one way sync your GMM contacts to your native contacts.

Any idea were this feature is? I am running 5.0.0.67.

Thanks
    Matthew.
    I think it needs to be turned on on the admin side. So bug your admin about it

In addition, this only applies to Windows Mobile. This function does not work in Palm. (they do offer an API, but only access for other 3rd party apps.)
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Well, that just sucks that it only works for Windows Mobile.
    Yea, tell me about it.

I was very excited when i read that they would allow sync between GMM and native contacts...

There must be something about the sync that makes it very difficult on the Palm platform.

Also, keep in mind that the GMM to native sync is one way. When creating contacts, be sure to add them either in outlook/Lotus notes, or in the GMM Contacts.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Do you have any idea where the documentation is for the API?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthkim View Post
    I think it needs to be turned on on the admin side. So bug your admin about it

In addition, this only applies to Windows Mobile. This function does not work in Palm. (they do offer an API, but only access for other 3rd party apps.)

So still no ability to browse the good address book from the palm sms/mms app on my 700p?
    On my 700P, from the sms screen, the look-up is going to the good contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    On my 700P, from the sms screen, the look-up is going to the good contacts.
    Same here, as well as for the Favorites buttons...nice (and very welcome) change. I too wish we could get even 1-way sync w/ the Palm contacts as I find it much more user friendly than the Good app-mainly because I like being able to choose the phone number directly rather than dealing w/ the pop-up for the desired phone number.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    So I now have 5.0 installed and I seem to have a two instances of each contact in the search bar. Anybody have an idea how to "fix" this. I assume one of each is my new native and the other is actually a GMM contact but they look identical and I never copied my Good contacts in the Treo phone book.

If I erase them all will GMM just fill them in again but only once?
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Did you upgrade or do a clean install?

Haven't seen your issue before...
    Did you upgrade or do a clean install?

Haven't seen your issue before...
    Upgraded.

My Good admin pushed it out to me and I installed it. Did not require me to do anything other than say yes--no PIN etc. Then reset and I was off.

Now I have two of everything. I am curious to see what my carkit will send over via bluetooth now to my phone book.

Thanks Darthkim
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Goodguy,

Maybe Good can develop an application for us PalmOS users that will dump our Good contacts to our native contact list...

This is especially important to users that are on the road. If we want to voice dial we can't because the contacts are not in stored in the native contact list.

Thanks
    Matthew.
    As a clarification, I don't have duplicates of every contact. I seem to have duplicates of some contacts but most contacts are not even in the native contacts section. My GMM contact database is fine--not a single duplicate so something is dumping them into the native contacts and not sure how or why? I think it might be related to calls that I have either made or received since the update to 5.0 but I am not certain to say the least.

Does anybody know how to view just the native contacts either on the device or on my pc when hooked up to active sync? If I could do that I might be able to sort them be a created date and delete all the duplicates--or worst case just delete them all and then reinstall GMM and see how that goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Does anybody know how to view just the native contacts either on the device or on my pc when hooked up to active sync? If I could do that I might be able to sort them be a created date and delete all the duplicates--or worst case just delete them all and then reinstall GMM and see how that goes.
    In WM5, its start, programs, pocket outlook, contact <-- Native contacts.

That would probably be the easiest to delete the native contacts.
    Darthkim, thanks a ton. This will be very easy.

Now can someone confirm that GMM 5.0 is supposed to somehow populate this database? Is there a way to force it to?
    I asked if they had a debug command to force 1 way sync... but no go.

What i do know is that upon install of 5.0, that it does the sync once.

Afterwards, addition of contacts in outlook will see it replicated to the Good contacts on the device... but the sync to the native contacts takes a bit longer. From my experience... its usually overnight...

and YES, GMM does sync GMM contacts to the native contact stores, if the following is met:
    1) feature is enabled on the admin side in GMC.
    2) device is WM5/6 standard/pro.

I've verified this on a Mot Q and 700wx.
    I asked if they had a debug command to force 1 way sync... but no go.

What i do know is that upon install of 5.0, that it does the sync once.

Afterwards, addition of contacts in outlook will see it replicated to the Good contacts on the device... but the sync to the native contacts takes a bit longer. From my experience... its usually overnight...

and YES, GMM does sync GMM contacts to the native contact stores, if the following is met:
    1) feature is enabled on the admin side in GMC.
    2) device is WM5/6 standard/pro.

I've verified this on a Mot Q and 700wx.
    Darthkim, once again you have proven to be a terrific resource and I really appreciate it. In an effort to get my native contacts straightened out I uninstalled and reinstalled GMM. Oddly, even though the admin had set me up to get 5.0 it was not getting pushed out on a new install. I tried it twice and he thinks the only way I can get it is if he pushes it out as an update on top of 4.9 instead of a clean install. I might try this one more time and if it causes problems again I will hold out until they get 5.0 running on the server. For now I am back on 4.9

As of now all of my native contacts are gone with the exception of my voicemail number which is on my SIM. Oddly, when I use the today search and start to type a name in the search bar all of my Good contacts are visible in the today screen, but none are actually in the native contact when I go into pocket outlook. I assume that the new server version will somehow instruct GMM to write them to the native contacts database. However, it sounds like from what you are saying there will be two sets of contacts on the device, one in GMM and the other in the pocket outlook--is that correct?

As an aside I am curious what will transfer to my bluetooth car kit because as of now only the contacts on my SIM make it but I am hoping the native contacts will go over as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Darthkim, once again you have proven to be a terrific resource and I really appreciate it. In an effort to get my native contacts straightened out I uninstalled and reinstalled GMM. Oddly, even though the admin had set me up to get 5.0 it was not getting pushed out on a new install. I tried it twice and he thinks the only way I can get it is if he pushes it out as an update on top of 4.9 instead of a clean install. I might try this one more time and if it causes problems again I will hold out until they get 5.0 running on the server. For now I am back on 4.9

As of now all of my native contacts are gone with the exception of my voicemail number which is on my SIM. Oddly, when I use the today search and start to type a name in the search bar all of my Good contacts are visible in the today screen, but none are actually in the native contact when I go into pocket outlook. I assume that the new server version will somehow instruct GMM to write them to the native contacts database. However, it sounds like from what you are saying there will be two sets of contacts on the device, one in GMM and the other in the pocket outlook--is that correct?

As an aside I am curious what will transfer to my bluetooth car kit because as of now only the contacts on my SIM make it but I am hoping the native contacts will go over as well.
    No problem, Dsol. I've learnt alot from this forum and just want to give a little back.

You know, i totally missed that on GSM devices, the contacts are on the SIM. I've never really got to play with a GSM WM or Palm smartphone before so i am not sure how it interacts. I'm guessing that on a smartphone, you can copy the contacts over from sim to the native store and vice versa... but not access the SIM directly...

anyways.

In 4.9.3.34 or .37, they fixed this issue with the inability to do lookup from the today screen to the GMM database. It is now working as designed.
    Incoming calls should show up properly (they reference the GMM database).
    Just to clarify, in this setup, the contacts only exist in GMM. Certain functions (phone lookups, incoming calls) have been specifically modified to work with GMM.
    But most programs (SMS, etc) that use the native stores will be out of luck.

Thats where 5.0 and the 1 way sync comes in handy. GMM will do a 1 way sync from the GMM contacts to the native contacts. This way, one can keep a unified set of contacts (both GMM and Native are the same), while still maintaining native functions such as picture dial, SMS lookup, etc...

Your bluetooth kit should sync from the native contacts.
    No problem, Dsol. I've learnt alot from this forum and just want to give a little back.

You know, i totally missed that on GSM devices, the contacts are on the SIM. I've never really got to play with a GSM WM or Palm smartphone before so i am not sure how it interacts. I'm guessing that on a smartphone, you can copy the contacts over from sim to the native store and vice versa... but not access the SIM directly...

anyways.

In 4.9.3.34 or .37, they fixed this issue with the inability to do lookup from the today screen to the GMM database. It is now working as designed.
    Incoming calls should show up properly (they reference the GMM database).
    Just to clarify, in this setup, the contacts only exist in GMM. Certain functions (phone lookups, incoming calls) have been specifically modified to work with GMM.
    But most programs (SMS, etc) that use the native stores will be out of luck.

Thats where 5.0 and the 1 way sync comes in handy. GMM will do a 1 way sync from the GMM contacts to the native contacts. This way, one can keep a unified set of contacts (both GMM and Native are the same), while still maintaining native functions such as picture dial, SMS lookup, etc...

Your bluetooth kit should sync from the native contacts.
    Well my SIM is still empty and I am not certain how they got on it last time. I am almost positive every contact on my SIM was either dialed from my Treo or was a contact that called me. Those are the same contacts were sent over to my carkit last time around. The only variable that might have contributed to this situation is that I had so many BT issues with my 750 and my BMW idrive system that I tried a 3rd party software called Jetware that was supposed to add some functionality to the 750 and maybe (or maybe not) improve connectivity--because Palm did not use Windows BT stack and went with their own. I think this software might have been somehow copying contacts to my SIM automatically as I made and received calls from these people but not sure.

I made a couple of calls this morning and now those calls show up in my contacts but they are not on my SIM--what is causing this? Again no other third party software is running as I just did a hard reset last night and only installed GMM up to this point.

Now that I am running the leaked WM6 I don't have any connectivity issues with my carkit so I think I am not going to install the Jetware software and see how it goes. I hate running software that impacts functionality of my Treo if I don't have to.

I need to figure out if my carkit only sees contacts on my SIM or if it will also see native contacts too. Right now the two GMM contacts that somehow got copied to my native contacts do not show up in my carkit. I think I will delete and re-establish the pairing and see if they get sent over that way. I have over 1,000 contacts in my Good database with multiple numbers so I can't copy them all to my SIM because it only holds 250 numbers.

I would really like an official answer from Good as to how 4.9.3.21 is supposed to handle contacts and impact my SIM--if at all.
    Well I am back to 5.0 and it is running fine. I could not do a clean install. The only way it would install is if the Good admin pushed it out to me as an update. That went finem altough slow and intial 5.0 start up after upadate is slow but now all is fine.

Once again the today screen does not have access to the GMM contacts but I guess this will get sorted once our server has 5.0 and they enable the feature that allows the GMM contacts to get synced with native. Bummer is caller ID shows the phone number but does not associate with my GMM contacts so I don't get a name. Anybody else having this issue that is running WM6 and GMM 5.0?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast