Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
       #1  
    I finally got sick of Verizon and switched to Sprint and a new 755P. I must say that I am very impressed with the 755P. The form factor difference may not seem like much when looking at a picture, but it is huge once you get your hands on it.

    I could not be happier with my decision. Verizon should have EOL'd the 700P months ago and put this thing out there, even if they had to give some away to unhappy 700P users. Doing this would have prevented alot of the negative feelings towards Palm and Verizon. The 755P is the best Treo ever made.

    Yes, I have had a couple resets since I pulled this thing out of the box. Resets don't concern me that much so long as they are only occasional and everything else works like it should, which is what I'm finding. The form factor is really what is doing it for me with this device. Palm nailed it as far as I'm concerned
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  2. Leke's Avatar
    Posts
    597 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I finally got sick of Verizon and switched to Sprint and a new 755P. I must say that I am very impressed with the 755P. The form factor difference may not seem like much when looking at a picture, but it is huge once you get your hands on it.

    I could not be happier with my decision. Verizon should have EOL'd the 700P months ago and put this thing out there, even if they had to give some away to unhappy 700P users. Doing this would have prevented alot of the negative feelings towards Palm and Verizon. The 755P is the best Treo ever made.

    Yes, I have had a couple resets since I pulled this thing out of the box. Resets don't concern me that much so long as they are only occasional and everything else works like it should, which is what I'm finding. The form factor is really what is doing it for me with this device. Palm nailed it as far as I'm concerned
    I completely agree! A friend of mine just bought it and it made me so jealous... Just getting rid of a bloody antenna and decreasing the size makes a huge difference. Granted there is no difference in terms of specs but it sure does feel nice in your hands...
  3. #3  
    ~Q~:
    I'm curious about a few things.

    You previously said...
    <<Why would someone shell out $200 for a 755P when a Centro will be sitting right next to it for $99. Doesn't make much sense.>>

    So, I'm wondering why did you go for the 755P instead of waiting 2 weeks for the cheaper Centro? Was it just the 755P's form-factor improvement over the 700P? Is Centro, on the other hand, too small?

    Also, were you ever able to get the (underscore)_MR working on your Verizon 700P? If so, was it still full of problems that your new 755P doesn't have, therefore the switch to the 755P looked good?

    In my case, the smaller form factor and lack of an antenna has no interest for me at all, and I like standard SD cards (which I'm afraid we'll never see on phones again, with the push to making phones smaller).

    If I was going to switch carriers and give up my SD cards, and have to change to another type of card, I might as well go to the cheaper Centro, if I can read the smaller screens with these old eyes and type on the smaller keyboard. If I stay with Verizon, the improved _MR'ed 700P (standard Sd) was looking really good. I have not seen any reason not to go with the 700P, now that it seems like most of its issues are fixed.

    It seems you really like the smaller form factor of the 755P, and the Sprint service. I'm interested in your 700P experience. Thanks!
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  4. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    ~Q~:
    I'm curious about a few things.

    You previously said...
    <<Why would someone shell out $200 for a 755P when a Centro will be sitting right next to it for $99. Doesn't make much sense.>>

    So, I'm wondering why did you go for the 755P instead of waiting 2 weeks for the cheaper Centro? Was it just the 755P's form-factor improvement over the 700P? Is Centro, on the other hand, too small?
    That I did. My main motive for switching to Sprint was the price of service. I was paying around $650/month for 10 lines on Verizon, two of which had data service on them. Verizon was charging me $50/month/line for the PDA data service. Sprint gave me the exact same setup for just over $300/month. Their unlimited data service is only $15/month!!

    I chose the 755P because I was running a 700P on Verizon and I had to make the switch before Oct 1 to take advantage of a few Sprint deals. Sprint gives you 30 days to change phones, so I figured I could check out the Centro when it came out and still be in my 30-day window to change if I wanted. However, after using the 755P for a few days and reading Centro reviews, I highly doubt I'll switch to the Centro. I really like the ruberized coating on the 755P and the form factor seems perfect. I don't think I'd want a screen that is any smaller than the 755P. Sprint gave me the 755P for $149, so I wouldn't save much by going to a Centro.

    I do feel that the difference in form factor and subtile improvements to the device in general justify an upgrade from the 700P to the 755P.

    However, I still question Sprints decision to carry both the Centro and the 755P. I would think that most people looking for a smartphone would go for the Centro due to its smaller form factor and price. This would be especially true for new users.

    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Also, were you ever able to get the (underscore)_MR working on your Verizon 700P? If so, was it still full of problems that your new 755P doesn't have, therefore the switch to the 755P looked good?
    Yes, I was able to get the _MR going without issue. After installing the MR, my 700P ran great. Palm really did fix all of the major issues. The only thing that I think is fixed in the 755P, over 700P, is the DTMF tone bug. I've yet to hear it on my 755P.

    As previously stated, the 755P just seems more polished. A few things off the top of my head: The LCD seems to be better quality, the headset sound is better, the battery cover doesn't creek and crack like the 700P, the keys seem more solid/durable when depressed, and the unit just seems more durable over all. I've also noticed some upgrades to the built in apps that are not coming to mind right now.


    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    In my case, the smaller form factor and lack of an antenna has no interest for me at all, and I like standard SD cards (which I'm afraid we'll never see on phones again, with the push to making phones smaller).

    If I was going to switch carriers and give up my SD cards, and have to change to another type of card, I might as well go to the cheaper Centro, if I can read the smaller screens with these old eyes and type on the smaller keyboard. If I stay with Verizon, the improved _MR'ed 700P (standard Sd) was looking really good. I have not seen any reason not to go with the 700P, now that it seems like most of its issues are fixed.

    It seems you really like the smaller form factor of the 755P, and the Sprint service. I'm interested in your 700P experience. Thanks!
    If I had stayed with Verizon, my plan was to stay with my 700P and wait for Verizon to release the 755P. If they never released it, I was going to jump to the BB Curve when it came out.

    I did have to buy a new Mini-SD card on Friday. I think I paid $30 for a 1gb card that came with an SD adapter. Not that big of a deal.

    You are right, I really do like the 755P form factor. I've been just in awe over the difference all weekend. I'm not really attached to the Sprint service, but the cost savings they are given me over Verizon. $300/month is alot of money. So far, I'm not noticing any difference in coverage.
    Last edited by ~Q~; 09/30/2007 at 10:45 PM.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  5. #5  
    I'm fine with the 700p size wise. I really don't get why people think its clunky or whatever. Fits in my pocket.

    That said, it's on the block soon. I got an iphone 2 days ago. Wife gets a Centro coming up. Guess the web experience, the simple interface, and the ease of getting media on it lured me more than i wanted to admit..lol

    I'll keep an eye out though to see if Palm makes any breakthroughs with its 800p. But like i said before, palm faces an uphill battle and their recent history gives me no assurance whatsoever.
  6. hkklife's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    #6  
    I don't mind the 700p's size one bit. I personally prefer the ability to have an OEM-sized 2600mAh Seidio battery & a fullsize SD/SDHC card in it.

    I just wish Palm had removed the antenna from the 700p for the 755p and added the soft-touch paint to the body. It's basically the nasty protruding antenna, not so much the actual weight/thickness of the 700p that is my issue with it. In fact, I still find the 700p w/ Seidio 3200mAh
    "Rumpshaker" battery easier to type on than the 755p (I have fairly big hands with pretty thick fingers)

    That said, I probably would still transition from a 700p to a 755p on Verizon if they offered it at all (and offered it to me at a good price)
    I've found the LCD, as Q said, on the 755p to be brighter and sharper with none of the yellow tint I've noticed on both of my 700p's. The 755p also performs better for voice call purposes and IS lighter/slimmer/sleeker.

    I would never want a Treo any smaller than the 755p, by the way. I'd personally like to see Palm issue a true high-end Treo with a huge capacity battery (same physical size as 700p but 2000mAh + in the box) with a slightly larger 2.7" or 2.8" 320x320 LCD, fullsize SDHC slot and 2 megapixel camera. You know, basically a Treo for "adult" users.
  7. #7  
    ... for your comments.
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  8. #8  
    The thing that holds me back on the 755 right now is the SD card slot. I have a dozen or so SD cards...and I would have to factor that expense (and hassle) into buying any device that does not use standard size SD cards. I also just bought several high-speed 2GB SD cards on newegg for 15 beans....so standard size cards are relatively inexpensive.

    BTW, why so many SD cards? I have the following devices that utilize them:

    - My treo
    - My camera
    - My wife's camera
    - My daughter's camera
    - My car stereo
    - Two PCs at home, my work laptop, my home printer, and my SD card usb stick adapter
    - My portable MP3 player (when I don't feel like lugging the Treo around in the gym)

    Yes, I am an SD card fan.



    Can't say that I would like stepping down in battery capacity either...especially since the 755p and 700p appear nearly identical from a functionality point of view...but your mileage may vary.

    cheers,
    Steve
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
  9. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    The thing that holds me back on the 755 right now is the SD card slot. I have a dozen or so SD cards...and I would have to factor that expense (and hassle) into buying any device that does not use standard size SD cards. I also just bought several high-speed 2GB SD cards on newegg for 15 beans....so standard size cards are relatively inexpensive.

    BTW, why so many SD cards? I have the following devices that utilize them:

    - My treo
    - My camera
    - My wife's camera
    - My daughter's camera
    - My car stereo
    - Two PCs at home, my work laptop, my home printer, and my SD card usb stick adapter
    - My portable MP3 player (when I don't feel like lugging the Treo around in the gym)

    Yes, I am an SD card fan.



    Can't say that I would like stepping down in battery capacity either...especially since the 755p and 700p appear nearly identical from a functionality point of view...but your mileage may vary.

    cheers,
    Steve
    All of these SD cards "NEED" to plug into your treo? Most miniSD cards come with an SD card adapter, so you could pull the miniSD out of the 755P and plug it into a reader, for example.

    The one thing I've noted with respect to my 755P and the miniSD slot is that it doesn't seem to be designed with the intention of frequently removing the card. There is a REALLY flimsy door covering the miniSD slot on the 755P. I would imagine that if you open and shut it alot, it may get to a point that it wouldn't stay closed or it may even fall off the phone.

    I can confirm that battery life is less on the 755P versus the 700P. I run Chattermail, so my phone gets nailed pretty hard with constant network use. It appears that about 8hr is the most I'm going to get out of my 755P.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  10. hkklife's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    #10  
    I'm in the same boat as Steve, really. I dragged my feet on purchasing a new digital camera (I had an ancient Kodak that used fullsize PCMCIA flash cards) until I saw that Palm was bringing the m500 series out with SD/MMC. I then got the first SD-enabled digicam on the market (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK), $the$ $original$ $Panasonic$ $iPalm$. $For$ $its$ $time$ ($3$.$2mp$, $2x$ $optical$, $1$.$5$&$quot$; $LCD$, $SD$ $card$) $it$ $was$ $pretty$ $nifty$ $and$ $Palm$ $was$ $actually$ $using$ $that$ $exact$ $camera$ $as$ $the$ $demo$ $unit$ $showing$ $how$ $you$ $could$ $stick$ $your$ $SD$ $cards$ $into$ $the$ $m505$ $and$ $look$ $at$ $your$ $digicam$ $pics$!

    Ever since then I'd kept progressing forward with SD/SDHC. It was one of the few things Palm seemed to get right and I expected them to continue their traditional SD support into the SDHC generation. Of course, I also figured they'd have a new OS out by now...

    IMO, the main reason Palm keeps regressing to smaller/pricier is because FrankenGarnet is bumping up against its 4GB volume size limitation. To spend $ to try and hack Garnet into a more stable/modern form would be very un-Palm-like, so they feel they can squeeze another year out of the ancient OS by regressing/retreating to less capacious memory card formats.

    SDHC is at an affordable 8GB now and 16GB cards are now hitting the market. 32GB SDHC cards should be out around the first of the year. Palm doesn't want to have to address any more limitations of Garnet so they just conveniently retreat to mini & microSD because all of the other featurephones are doing it.

    As the Treo 680 brilliantly shows, there's no reason that the Treo cannot accomodate a fullsize SDHC slot with a slot cover door. The reasons for suddenly jettisoning SD for miniSD and then microSD two devices later are all OS & money-related, not due to hardware engineering or space saving concerns (but that is a nice little extra for Palm & their ODMs).

    If Palm is hell-bent on micro & miniSD then I would like to again toss out the possibility of having TWO separate slots on a future Treo (borrowing a page from the Fooleo, basically). Have a microSD near the battery as "permanent" storage and then have a side-mounted miniSD slot for more frequent usage. POS has shows plenty of examples in the past of a device having two separate memory card slots or storage volumes with no ill effects (T5, LifeDrive, Zodiac, Handera 330, various Sony Clies). Two separate 4GB cards would make a nice way for ol' Garnet to "cheat" 8GB support if Palm doesn't want to deal with support headaches from users wondering why their 8GB memory card aren't seen as a single large volume.
    Last edited by hkklife; 10/01/2007 at 12:50 PM.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    All of these SD cards "NEED" to plug into your treo?

    Surprisingly enough, the answer is often yes...but I may be fairly unique. I frequently move an SD card from my treo (where I listen to MP3s at work) to my car stereo..and later to my portable MP3 player. I have a portable FM transmitter, but the car stereo's SD slot is just far more convenient.

    On many occasions I have also pulled my SD card from my phone to stick in either my camera or my wife's or daughter's camera...when the card in the camera is filled up while we are on the road without a spare...or when I want to do something different...like mail a picture that I just took on my digital camera...rather than sending one of the poor quality pictures that my treo takes.

    I also often use the card in my phone the same way someone uses a USB stick...puling it out, sticking it into my PC at home or at work, transferring files to the card, and then putting it back into the phone until I get where I need to be.

    Could I do this all another way? Sure. Could I carry around a tiny (and easily misplaceable) adapter...and struggle with fingernail size cards that I pay a premium for? Sure....but it's really nice not to have to worry about carrying around adapters and struggling with a card design that does not seem to be optimized for frequent insertion and removal. It's also nice not to pay a premium for what amounts to an inconvenience for me.

    Like I said, I may be unique, but I remove my SD cards a lot. They are full of MP3s, full length feature movies, podcasts, "This American Life" episodes, ebooks, work files, etc...and I really enjoy the convenience of a common size and format since they tend to contain data that is generally useful on more than one type of device.

    My wife's T-mobile dash has a 2GB mini SD card...and it stays in the phone...even when our digital camera is full. As I said before though, your mileage may vary.




    8 hours for the battery?! Ouch. My treo auto-polls mail frequently...and I have other apps that hit the network on a recurring schedule (e.g., TreoWeather, NVBackup)...but I can usually go for about a 1-2 days (depending on my device use) before I need a charge. Plugging it in at bedtime is usually good enough. I assume that you can get a replacement battery with a slightly higher capacity...so that should help.

    Anyway, congrats on the new phone. New is always fun.

    cheers,
    Steve
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
  12. #12  
    My friend has the Sprint 755p and he got it back in June 2007. I compared my 700p to 755p and understand the form factor. The battery life and miniSD was the only "negative" re: 755p. I realize that you had other issues such as Verizon's pricing, but out where I live, Verizon still has better reception than Sprint.

    Nevertheless, the DTMF tone bug is PRESENT on the 755p. Maybe you have your system sounds off or at a low level, but the DTMF tone bug ORIGINATED on the 755p ROM and remember, the subsequent 700p MRs for both Sprint and Verizon has the same DTMF tone bug because our MR is derived from the 755p ROM.

    Remember, the real reason that Palm was spending so much time for releasing our MR is that Palm was developing the 755p at the same time and used the similar firmware.



    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Yes, I was able to get the _MR going without issue. After installing the MR, my 700P ran great. Palm really did fix all of the major issues. The only thing that I think is fixed in the 755P, over 700P, is the DTMF tone bug. I've yet to hear it on my 755P.

    .
  13. #13  
    ^this is true. There doesn't seem to be a fix at this time. A post-MR 700 performs identically to 755 - even has the same bugs. But like Q, I switched for the form factor (jealous of the wife's 755). Both my post-MR 700 and 755 are trouble free. Of course YMMV.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!

Posting Permissions