Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Dieter says that the new Centro is basically a 755p in a smaller form factor and that the Centro could be used for business purposes. A business device for me must be able to handle tremendous amounts of email volume and allow the user to see the entire Inbox, subfolders included (like a Blackberry on BES, or Goodlink on POS/WM). The battery should also be sufficient to get you through an entire workday on a single charge (forget that nonsense of having to carry around multiple batteries). And of course it should have an ample keyboard (or offer suretype on a smaller one), allow you to view docs, and the like. Last but not least (especially for me), the devce needs to offer great pocketability (no bricks).

What are your thoughts on its prospects as a business device? Will the battery and perhaps lack of operating memory not allow for such?

Lets hear it
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    The "youth" market is pretty arbitrary, and Palm is targeting that segment on price. Few "kids" saving up hundreds of dollars for a phone these days would spend them on anything other than an iPhone. But for a single C-note, Palm may be on to something here.

The Centro's just a Treo 755p with a smaller form factor. I'd be willing to be that most professionals choosing between the two would opt for the Centro.
  3.    #3  
    i would too, but that doesn't really point to any of the other thoughts above.
    Between the two, the Centro. Between the Centro and the 755P - the 755P due to battery life. Battery life is very important.
  5.    #5  
    yes, i'd very much agree.

So maybe it really can't be considered as a business device as Dieter said?
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i would too, but that doesn't really point to any of the other thoughts above.
    I should've expanded my first statement to include "business" as yet another arbitrary marketing label.

They're the same device in different sizes. The only advantage I see to the Treo for business purposes is the larger keyboard being presumably more ideal for heavier emphasis on email than the SMS or IM that "the kids" use. Ultimately the purchase choice comes down to whether you prefer a smaller device at the expense of a smaller keyboard. The only other inducement for me is that I think MicroSD has 8 GB capacity on the horizon, whereas I have yet to hear the same for MiniSD.

I'm not arguing that Palm shouldn't position their products to different markets, but the differences between these two devices are negligible.
    I played with the Centro at the Digital Life exhibit at the Javits Center today. While the keyboard is not as good as the 680/750/755, it is possible to type without errors. If you were to do lots of e-mails and text messages in a day, as in business users, I don't think you'd find it preferable to the other Treo keyboards. I much prefer my 680.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post

I'm not arguing that Palm shouldn't position their products to different markets, but the differences between these two devices are negligible.
    are battery capacities the same? if so, they're definitely not suited torwards real business use and i'd have to find fault in Dieter's statements.
    No, they are not. The Centro is rated at 3.5 hours blab time.

Ben
    I used the Treo 755p for business and personal use. The OEM battery is not enough for my usage, so I opted for the Seido Extended battery which gives me a full day of usage now. I suspect that they will provide an extension for the Centro too. Given that, the Centro will be fine for business users as well.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    The Centro has a 1150 mAh battery but I'm sure there will be larger capacity batteries released for the Centro just as there were for the 680 and other Treos with smaller batteries. It took me awhile to get used to the smaller battery in the 680, and of course I felt that I needed more so I bought a spare that had more power.
    I'm picturing a guy in a business suit holding this little thing trying to type emails LOL.

I agree about the battery.
    Funny how we've gone from calling the Treo's "bricks" for day-to-day business tasks... to laughing at the thought of a business person using a smaller Treo (errr... I mean "Centro").

I think more business folks (including myself) will be carrying one of these, dare I say, smaller Treo's, around, in place of my 700p brick.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    I'm picturing a guy in a business suit holding this little thing trying to type emails LOL.

I agree about the battery.
    lol? i type just fine on my Pearl as do most others i think. i'm sure typing on the Centro's keyboard will work just fine.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post
    I used the Treo 755p for business and personal use. The OEM battery is not enough for my usage, so I opted for the Seido Extended battery which gives me a full day of usage now. I suspect that they will provide an extension for the Centro too. Given that, the Centro will be fine for business users as well.
    right...so will this "larger" battery add weight to the device?
    right...so will this "larger" battery add weight to the device?
    Is this even a real question? No, larger capacity makes them lighter.

On average: 0.2-0.5 oz increase.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    lol? i type just fine on my Pearl as do most others i think. i'm sure typing on the Centro's keyboard will work just fine.
    I didnt mean typing will be hard on the Centro. The size is what i meant. Having to type on the 700 my hands were already so cramped together. With this one it's going to be worse and with the screen being slightly smaller, id probably have to put it closer to my face. My friend is a pretty big guy and when he types on his Treo I cant help but think its looks odd and pretty funny. Now imagine him typing on a Centro.
  18. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    People are packing BB Pearls for business use, so there is no reason to think they won't pack one of these. I personally feel the current Treo keyboard is about as small as I'd like to see in a qwerty on a smartphone. While I've never heald a Centro, I'm beginning to think the keyboard is too small for my preference.

As others have pointed out, battery life is a big convern. The 755P can't even make it through a full work day.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Is this even a real question? No, larger capacity makes them lighter.

On average: 0.2-0.5 oz increase.
    it sure was, Mal, but thanks nonetheless.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    People are packing BB Pearls for business use, so there is no reason to think they won't pack one of these. I personally feel the current Treo keyboard is about as small as I'd like to see in a qwerty on a smartphone. While I've never heald a Centro, I'm beginning to think the keyboard is too small for my preference.

As others have pointed out, battery life is a big convern. The 755P can't even make it through a full work day.
    ok, then maybe it can't truly be used as a business device as Dieter said it could. i found it hard to believe myself so i thought "hey, why not pose the question to all of those power users out there......those in the know." but then again, maybe it's just because everyone has their own definition of what a "business device" should be.

it does have a touchscreen though!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast