Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like anything else, it's a personal preference of what makes up a "business phone". For me, I'm going to put the Centro through a 30-day test to see if it qualifies, as it already has the ability to support my business email, exchange calendaring, memos, tasks, speakerphone, QWERTY keyboard, high-speed data, and BT.

My brick, err... I mean 700p does all this today, but I want it in a smaller form factor. I was leaning towards waiting for the 2G of the iPhone (I'm a 25 year Apple die-hard, including 5 Macs at home now), but the success & flexibility of many business smartphones have been 3rd party apps, and I'm not seeing that happen with the iPhone.

In the end, I don't buy into how a company positions a phone as "consumer" or "business" -- it either has the features I need to do business effectively, or not.
    Ummm...its the same device, just slightly smaller. Why is there even a thread on this? 30 day test? It's the same thing as a treo.
    If it was the same thing as a Treo 755p, it would have the same keyboard. It doesn't, and just like anything else, one doesn't know if it works well until trying it out.

The other main difference is battery life and screen size, but that's minimal.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Ummm...its the same device, just slightly smaller. Why is there even a thread on this? 30 day test? It's the same thing as a treo.
    is it really the same thing as a Treo? the only difference is its size? hmmm.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    not all business users are email centric. I'm in sales, I'm more PIM centric. I could care less about folders, subfolders and the like. I want good PIM functionality that can keep me organized and efficient. The Blackberry loses in that department over Palm. The built in apps aren't as good, and the third party solutions are non-existent. You'll be lucky to see Agendus for the BB. No one else is rushing to the market, and RIM doesn't get it. Email isn't everything, and everyone that smokes the crack is because they're ga-ga over email.

And if VersaMail isn't up to your standards, you do have third party options. One thing you don't have much of if you don't like what's on the standard BB. Something that is kind of important for a "business" device. Puts the whole Personal back into PDA.

Suretype is not the end all. You may love it, but I know many who don't and have dropped the Pearl for a Curve or 8800.

You mention operating memory? What about card expandability and the extremely limited use of the card on a BB. There isn't even a program to do a complete backup to the card. A must if you're not at a computer for quite awhile. What about running programs off of the card? Damn, you can't do that either on the BB. It's simply storage only. So you lose that battle too as the card capability on a treo trounces the BB. Also, my phone logs on the treo can go back for weeks. I can't seem to do that on the BB, and others on their forums second it with others saying you have too much memory taken up by add ons. Well if you had more card capabilities you might not have that problem. So I don't see how having less memory on board with the Centro is such a detriment.

As for the battery, if I surf a lot throughout the day, even my 700p with the bigger standard size battery suffers. I only do that if I have a lot of downtime. If that is the case, I'd keep an extra battery around. My 8830 didn't fare any better with extended surfing use. So that point doesn't hold water either.

And I'm not a BB hater either. I used the thing for a little over two weeks and still have it. Thought it was great. No resets, hiccups or what not. The email was great allowing for less time to check it than actually logging onto aol or yahoo via the web or aol program. And it was definitely slimmer than my 700p so right away it was more fun to carry around or leave in my pocket instead of on my belt. All in all, I still think I'm going to go to the Centro when it's out. It's slim enough and small enough over the Treos. Still has a better quality screen (and it's a touchscreen) albeit slightly smaller. And even with becoming fairly proficient at using the trackball to navigate and cut and paste. It's just easier and more seamless with a touchscreen that gives you the benefit of a d-pad as well as direct access.

But the key phrase in all this is as you said, "for me". Everyone has different needs and wants. By now we all know what your needs and wants are. We all know where your loyalty lies. So call a spade a spade and title your thread "Why I think the Pearl is better than the Centro" and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    Dieter says that the new Centro is basically a 755p in a smaller form factor and that the Centro could be used for business purposes. A business device for me must be able to handle tremendous amounts of email volume and allow the user to see the entire Inbox, subfolders included (like a Blackberry on BES, or Goodlink on POS/WM). The battery should also be sufficient to get you through an entire workday on a single charge (forget that nonsense of having to carry around multiple batteries). And of course it should have an ample keyboard (or offer suretype on a smaller one), allow you to view docs, and the like. Last but not least (especially for me), the devce needs to offer great pocketability (no bricks).

What are your thoughts on its prospects as a business device? Will the battery and perhaps lack of operating memory not allow for such?

Lets hear it
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Email isn't everything, and everyone that smokes the crack is because they're ga-ga over email.
    and you're ga-ga over a calendar.
    wow...that's your whole comeback to all that? must have a bit of that fanboy in you.
    and you're ga-ga over a calendar.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    wow...that's your whole comeback to all that? must have a bit of that fanboy in you.
    "all that" isn't worthy of much else.
    sounds a bit more like dumbfounded to me.
    "all that" isn't worthy of much else.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12