Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I understand that the T755 is a poweruser device and the Centro is a Razr killer. But what actual features would I be giving up if I bought the Centro instead of the 755? One of the threads said the phone app was different but didn't explain. This is the main thing i use my Treo for (cellphone) so this concerns me greatly. What other features am I giving up besides the battery and the screen size (i gather from the posts is is slightly smaller).
    from everything I've read they are the same device, just a different casing... I think it all boils down to price & aesthetics.
    HTC Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dheymann View Post
    I understand that the T755 is a poweruser device and the Centro is a Razr killer. But what actual features would I be giving up if I bought the Centro instead of the 755?
    Well, for starters you'd be "giving up" the outdated and unpatched version 8.000 (bugfix version is 8.003, circa 2006!) of Docs to Go that Palm stuck 755 users with.

Also, you'd have to "make do" with the Centro's DELUXE version of PocketTunes 4, and not the basic version of 4 that Treo 755 users are "enjoying." You will also "miss" the experience of PT Deluxe version 3 licensees who aren't allowed to have their screens turn off on the 755 unless they pay a $20 "upgrade" fee to Normsoft.

Finally, as it appears Palm has implemented their THIRD different flash card format in the past year, you also get the inability to exchange cards between other Palm Treo devices without lugging around easily-losable (and expensive/breakable/hard-to-find) flash adapters.

No word yet on whether the Centro has a reset hole or if you are stuck with yanking out the battery like 755 owners need to.

Finally, I'd be shocked if the Centro does any better on battery life than the 755, or even the 680. If their target market is kids who IM, text and do multimedia more than the normal Treo user... I get a feeling that the tiny battery won't match the expectations of their target market. Hope you can get "spare" batteries at the mall....
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  4.    #4  
    But what are the actual feature differences? is the phone software different? How. Is the screen different? What else is different. From reading all the posts I am completely confused as to what the actual differences are.
    But what are the actual feature differences? is the phone software different? How. Is the screen different? What else is different. From reading all the posts I am completely confused as to what the actual differences are.
    From what I've read the screen is the same 320x320 hi-res screen. It is just a more "pocketable" version of the current palm treo.
    One is what One does.
    mwd
    That's the kicker. There's nothing at all different, from a feature standpoint. The guts are identical. Doesn't that just make you love marketing?
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    if palm has just re-purposed a 755 into a slightly new form factor- why did it take so long?

I suppose everyone was working on the foleo.
    According to an interview with a Palm employee:

"Stephanie says that the Centro's battery life is 3 1/2 talk hours and 10 days standby. I asked her who did the design of the product. In other words, did Palm just do the "look and feel" design or did it do more. Stephanie said that for a product like this, which is taking Palm in a new direction, Palm not only did the industrial design, but actually did the electrical hardware design as well. Palm felt it was important to have full control over the complete hardware and software design process so that they could achieve exactly what they wanted. Some of their other phones have used an ODM for design, but not this one."

Link to the article:

http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...iew-with-.html
    I have seen no mention of an illuminated keyboard on the Centro. Have you?
    Quote Originally Posted by izzideluxe View Post
    I have seen no mention of an illuminated keyboard on the Centro. Have you?
    or speakerphone, or voice memo app
    Personally, I wouldn't miss the illuminated keyboard in the slightest. I much preferred the 600's keyboard over any subsequent Treo's, both in its ergonomics and its lack of visually "loud" keys.

The Voice Memo is included on the Centro, as mentioned on Palm's site. I didn't see an explicit reference to the speakerphone, but the speaker grill in the back suggests that it's there.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Finally someone was able to answer the question and perfectly. Thanks CC. That is very helpful. As near as I can tell, the only significant differences aren't very significant. On the negative side a little less talk time and slightly smaller screen and on the plus side a better form factor. The microSD vs miniSD is meaningless to me becauase everything I have is full SD.

Why would a power user like me buy a T755 if they can get a Centro for a fraction of the price? I imagine I will by these for my wife, kids, and myself once VZW gets them.
    The microSD vs miniSD is meaningless to me becauase everything I have is full SD.
    Unless the choice is strictly between the 755p and the Centro. There's still no announcement for an 8 GB MiniSD, but there has been for MicroSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Unless the choice is strictly between the 755p and the Centro. There's still no announcement for an 8 GB MiniSD, but there has been for MicroSD
    There is an adapter to fit MicroSD cards to MiniSD slots. It is sold with some MicroSD cards. I've got two of them.
    Versamail is upgraded to 4.0 on Centro. From what I have seen in pictures, it is a cosmetic upgrade adding icons at the base of the screen making it easy to manipulate messages like deleting, and rotating between messages.

Typically, more significant changes occur when a software package changes the first number of their version number. We'll just have to wait to see what the changes are.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Here are comparison pics of the phone apps on the 680, 755p, and Centro.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a80.../phoneapps.jpg
    wait, wait, wait.....don't tell me the Centro is still using Palm OS 5.4.9. if so - WTF?!!! Palm is just messing with us, they wanna see how much they can get away with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Well, for starters you'd be "giving up" the outdated and unpatched version 8.000 (bugfix version is 8.003, circa 2006!) of Docs to Go that Palm stuck 755 users with.
    I did a hard reset and fresh install of all my programs today. I have a treo 755 and documents to go updated to ver 8.003. I did the check for updates before I registered it, and it said it couldnt tell if there was an update. Once I registered it, it found the update. I double checked after your post and it is 8.003. HTH
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    why is it only the 680 that has a different phone app, while the newer 755p and Centro have the older one like the 650 and 700p.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast