Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    so i'm new here to treocentral, i've been trying to figure out what the real difference is in the centro being 99$ and the 755p being 249$ and what i can see so far is the centro is only REV. O capable and the 755p is REV. A ??? can anyone clarify this? i know the spec. sheet from sprint says REV. O but i've seen conflicting info. saying it's REV. A ? ever since the centro buzz started it seems like they are trying to hide this point (of just being EV-DO capable) cuz it's connection, REV. O, is not as fast as REV. A. i'm trying to figure out the truth on this matter cuz my wife and i are going to use this as our only internet connection for desktop and laptop

any help?

ps i already checked out the thread on REV. A capable? and i'm just confused i guess as to why the step backward???
  2.    #42  
    Sean:

Thanks. i look forward to hearing a real comparison "in the wild". i am tempted to buy 4 Centro's for my family but i would buy one 755 and 3 centros if a poweruser like me would notice the difference.
    None of the PalmOS (700p 755p Centro) phones are Rev.A capable. They are all Rev.0. Rev.0 is plenty fast (compare to iPhone and what have you.)

VVVVV The iPhone is as fast as the 3 year old 650, can you stop this sh!t? There is a separated forum for iPhone you know. Do you need me to point you the direction or you can find your way there?
    Last edited by whatever7; 10/11/2007 at 10:56 PM.
    so the centro should really be either the treo 650 or 680 and have been launched 2 years ago.

iPhone is tomorrows technology today.
    Palm is yesterday's technology today.

Thanks, Palm.

Still, I might give a look at the centro before abandoning my treo 700p for some other platform/phone
    has anyone here tried to claim the Centro to be any different? And it took you three pages of reading through everything that already claimed it to be nothing new and exciting except for a smaller case? Like the new technology angle hasn't been played out in just about every thread so far?

and iphone...$400 plus. horrible PIM. great multimedia for a phone. stuck with Cingular.

Centro...$99

and kevhead, it's not a step backwards it's more of a standstill. It is what it is for $99. No rev A, no miraculous new OS or earth shattering software installed. and yes, it's what we had hoped for when the 650 arrived or at the very least the 700, making zero sense that anything after was in a similar form factor that precedes three generations. Yes it's ridiculous. What can we do about it? B*tch, which everyone here seems to be painfully good at.

Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    so the centro should really be either the treo 650 or 680 and have been launched 2 years ago.

iPhone is tomorrows technology today.
    Palm is yesterday's technology today.

Thanks, Palm.

Still, I might give a look at the centro before abandoning my treo 700p for some other platform/phone
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    maybe our first true Palmologist?

of course not.

it's a cool little phone which Palm couldn't figure out how to design a year plus ago, but not much else. poor palm, maybe the "*****ing" got Palm this far.

hey, we're happy you and others like it so, but it's just too easy to poke a little fun at Palm.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I'm far from a palm apologist. I don't even like candy bar phones. If my i500 could deal with text messages consistently, I probably would still have it, and this would probably be my first Treo. And I b*tched that the 700 was the same size as a two generation old phone because they had their heads up their *sses, sitting on their laurels. I also can't stand my 700. I don't even use my BT headset anymore because I'm afraid of getting into an accident when it screws up my calls and disconnects or doesn't connect, not to mention the blazer and text lags I still get regardless if it was pre or post MR.

But I was resigned to the fact that with the intro of the 755, 680, & 750 that they were to be the latest and greatest until the linux treo surfaced next year. So outside of the initial, "geez, where was this when they came out with the 700?" which everyone seemed to get out of their system, it just goes on and on and on.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    If they had come out with this "centro" a year ago, you'd be whining today about how big it is.

I don't get some people. How does the Treo 755p not fit in your pocket? Yet, you're gushing over another "treo" that sports a smaller screen and keyboard like its the next big thing. Why would you want a smaller screen? maybe the next one will have an eye viewer (no screen) and be much smaller..that might even fit in your wallet.

BTW..the Centro costs more than the iphone without an agreement. 399 + microSD card

Even with one, who will have a 25 dollar data plan to get the 100 MIR? Quit saying it's 99 dollars. It isn't. Noone on the SERO plan will get that. Even on a regular family plan (that's discounted), i'm currently only paying 15 a month for powervision. Does anybody really know what the heck the 25 plan gives you other than its sprint tv crap that i don't use? Does anyone really need it? Nope. Is it worth a 100 rebate? nope.

So call the Centro what it really is...a 199 dollar Treo + MicroSDcard (say 40-50 dollars). My gosh, i think the 755p was selling that low a few months back. I think whoever invented the MIR needs to burn in he*&^* anyways..lol
    coming from my i500. the 755 is even a big brick. the Centro's screen is bigger than my i5's. The only reason I got a Treo was Sprint stopped supporting the i5. Why do I need a giant screen? I don't, I'd rather have a compact phone. I'd like them to take that Verizon Samsung rotating flip with qwerty and put a good pim in that. I'd be a happy camper. But since Samsung left the Palm market we're stuck with BRICKS. There is no choice for the POS anymore. And not everyone pockets it. I want it on my belt. Little flips fit nicer on the belt than bricks. remember what the P stands for in PDA? Personal. you like the 755 in your pocket. Maybe it gives you a feeling of fullness. I'm a minimalist. Little credit card wallet in the back pocket, phone on belt clip and that's it.

and how much is the iphone with an agreement? oh yeah, the same price. how many people will buy the Centro without an agreement? not many?

Just because that's what they charge for that data plan, doesn't mean that's what you pay. With our account, I've got that plan for free. When we upgrade to the unlimited plan, it's included. Just because I don't pay $25, doesn't mean I don't have the plan. Everyone has different pricing plans, and if you're paying less currently, you suddenly don't lose that pricing. It gets grandfathered over. But again, why do you care about cost? Outside of me saying, "why expect the next generation for $99?" I haven't mentioned a thing about price. and do you really think that's going to be enforced? even if it is, you cancel it once you get the rebate. So you pay $75, minus the difference of what the other plans would cost or the casual use charges and you're making back at least $50 of that. So if you want to split hairs...

And we all know mail in rebates count on the poor suckers who are forgetful or sloppy in their paperwork. I know I've forgotten one or two in my time. Thankfully not the big ones though.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If they had come out with this "centro" a year ago, you'd be whining today about how big it is.

I don't get some people. How does the Treo 755p not fit in your pocket? Yet, you're gushing over another "treo" that sports a smaller screen and keyboard like its the next big thing. Why would you want a smaller screen? maybe the next one will have an eye viewer (no screen) and be much smaller..that might even fit in your wallet.

BTW..the Centro costs more than the iphone without an agreement. 399 + microSD card

Even with one, who will have a 25 dollar data plan to get the 100 MIR? Quit saying it's 99 dollars. It isn't. Noone on the SERO plan will get that. Even on a regular family plan (that's discounted), i'm currently only paying 15 a month for powervision. Does anybody really know what the heck the 25 plan gives you other than its sprint tv crap that i don't use? Does anyone really need it? Nope. Is it worth a 100 rebate? nope.

So call the Centro what it really is...a 199 dollar Treo + MicroSDcard (say 40-50 dollars). My gosh, i think the 755p was selling that low a few months back. I think whoever invented the MIR needs to burn in he*&^* anyways..lol
    Good enough. Sorry..was a bit cranky earlier. LOL

I plan on ordering one though for the wife. But i know it won't be 99. I'll still send in that MIR and complain til you know what freezes over if i don't get it.

Docstogo is a value. PTunes deluxe. A couple of more apps that the 700p (my current one) doesn't have. I think it's a good deal actually. The smaller screen should be crisper with the same resolution and so one should expect sharper video, if just a bit smaller.. But i can't say i'm that excited about it. I'd like to see the next TREO go wide..
    I get riled easily myself..haha. and it's tough to get "excited" about something we expected awhile ago. I mentioned the sharper screen early on, but not one else followed up with it. I look at that as a little plus. Am I the only one around here that doesn't think a pda phone has to have a giant screen? You could take the centro, make it thinner, put a hinge in the middle, and I'd be a happy camper. And make it wimax upgradeable.

I've got five sales reps too that are tired of carrying the big Treos. For them it was their first pda phone, and they all had little flips of some sort before that. So anything smaller is a plus. They're not techno people either. They could care less about next generation anything. They're perfect candidates.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Am I the only one around here that doesn't think a pda phone has to have a giant screen?

I've got five sales reps too that are tired of carrying the big Treos.
    No you're not the only one who doesn't think a pda phone has to have a giant screen and I'm of the age where the old eyesight
    ain't what it used to be .....

I'm tired of carrying around the big Treos too...

I got the Centro yesterday and so far I love this phone.
    I still didn't realize i carry a brick around. No wonder i got strong hands.

I bet you didn't realize it either til all these thin nazis got to ya..lol
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I still didn't realize i carry a brick around. No wonder i got strong hands.

I bet you didn't realize it either til all these thin nazis got to ya..lol
    Actually I always felt like it was a little on the large side because I have had many smartphones that were much smaller ....flips etc. Even the old Verizon Kyocera flip with Palm OS seemed a little smaller from what I can remember(maybe it just seems like it was).

I like the Palm os better than windows right now so I just dealt with it. But now I got Palm os in a nice smaller package and I absolutely love it
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest007 View Post
    Actually I always felt like it was a little on the large side because I have had many smartphones that were much smaller ....flips etc. Even the old Verizon Kyocera flip with Palm OS seemed a little smaller from what I can remember(maybe it just seems like it was).

I like the Palm os better than windows right now so I just dealt with it. But now I got Palm os in a nice smaller package and I absolutely love it
    Forest: What Treo did you use before the Centro? How does it compare? I love my T650 but it is slow and old so i am trying to decide what to get next.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dheymann View Post
    Forest: What Treo did you use before the Centro? How does it compare? I love my T650 but it is slow and old so i am trying to decide what to get next.
    I was using the 755p. I've had the 700p and the 700wx. All of them seemed quite a bit larger than the Centro to me. The keyboard is smaller and a lot of people may not like that. The screen seems sharper to me. The phone is much lighter in weight than the 755p. Other than that I haven't found anything different aside from the new voice app. Of course I've only had it for about 24 hours so still in the evaluation stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post
    Versamail is upgraded to 4.0 on Centro. From what I have seen in pictures, it is a cosmetic upgrade adding icons at the base of the screen making it easy to manipulate messages like deleting, and rotating between messages.

Typically, more significant changes occur when a software package changes the first number of their version number. We'll just have to wait to see what the changes are.

where did you see the pics? Or, can you post them?
    Matty
    Here ya go...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    hey guys thanks for the REV. O REV. A clarification, i could have swore the others 755 and 700 were REV. A but you guys know a lot more about this stuff than i do. this will be my first treo, oops i mean centro gettin' em for my wife and i. and i did a search about speed comparisons after posting and found they were pretty close, so i wasn't too put off by it only being REV. O

again thanks for the info, much appreciated

kevin
    could someone post the email screen of versamail? He*+, can someone post the rom files?
    Matty
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast