Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Because the 680 is GSM?
  2. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gameplace123 View Post
    wait, wait, wait.....don't tell me the Centro is still using Palm OS 5.4.9. if so - WTF?!!! Palm is just messing with us, they wanna see how much they can get away with.
    POS is actually a good move for the people they are targeting. POS is much easier to use and learn than WM.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  3. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    why is it only the 680 that has a different phone app, while the newer 755p and Centro have the older one like the 650 and 700p.
    Septimus actually commmented on this in his review. He said that the 680 phone app was written specifically for the hardware in the 680 and GSM and a port to CDMA would require some major surgery.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Those two phones are totally identical! See for yourselves:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/reso...martphone.html

The only difference is: $99 or the Centro and $249 for the Treo 755p! That whole thing is complete non-sense. To me the real difference is in the cost of the components. I bet the Centro is a lot cheaper: the keyboard feels clumsy and unfit for adult hands.

But still that's pretty steep at $150 extra to get a 'professional smartphone'...
    Seasoned Palm fan since 2000 and the Palm IIIc.
    Wow, the Centro and 755p sure are almost identical! I just looked at that comparison chart. It's like the Centro is the 755p but dressed in a new and smaller coat with different buttons and less storage. I never even noticed until just now that the Centro has a micro-SD slot! For some reason, when I was reading Dieter's and the other articles online, I was thinking mini-SD in my head and overlooked that it actually said "micro". Hmmm, so this is the first Palm smartphone that has ever used the micro-SD slot. Interesting. I guess Palm is following the other smartphone developers. I had the HTC TyTN and that is the only device I've ever owned so far that has the micro-SD slot. And that was a sweet device too! Sometimes I wish I hadn't sold it, but it went to a great home.
    Last edited by Jennifer Chappell; 10/01/2007 at 11:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    its like this the centro is more for kids its not for a power user the centro has stuff like my space vids just kid stuff. the 755p is more of a power user the 755p has the soft touch and the aother dosen't so really it comes down to what u like
    What are you talking about? Powerusers and kids? These devices are the same. One is just slightly smaller with a different keyboard.
    I'm still convinced that there is an architectural difference between the Centro and 755p. The difference in published memory footprint can't be just because they wanted a simpler description and didn't want to address the difference between the amount of memory and what was user-accessible. I think there is an actual change in the memory architecture of the Centro compared to the 755p.
    any change in the architecture of the phone would be a plus considering the hardware was designed for the WM versions and not POS, hence all the bugs and problems that started with the 700p. So maybe the third go around has improved upon it even further. It does have less memory than the 700 series, but if you can run programs and such off of the card, who cares (generally speaking, the program and power hungry might care)?

you have a smaller footprint and thickness. Slightly smaller screen. Different keyboard. MicroSD vs MiniSD. Less internal memory. The processor is the same. Not sure about the rest of the internals though. And the adapter is the same. Mini USB would be a nice addition at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I'm still convinced that there is an architectural difference between the Centro and 755p. The difference in published memory footprint can't be just because they wanted a simpler description and didn't want to address the difference between the amount of memory and what was user-accessible. I think there is an actual change in the memory architecture of the Centro compared to the 755p.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    If you look at my post on the first page of this thread, you'll see a quote from a Palm employee about the design of the Centro. She says they did the design in-house. That indicates to me that there are some differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    ... a Palm employee ... says they did the design in-house. That indicates to me that there are some differences.
    Exactly. Why would Palm redesign the Centro?

Throughout the conference Palm employees said that the price point was their primary objective, and the TreoCentral article (I think that was where I read it) points out that Palm attributes reaching that price point thanks to some chip integration. Another part of the Treo that's expensive: the flash memory that makes up the NVFS. I bet a backup battery and the circuitry to support it powering RAM is a lot cheaper.

Not to mention, memory chips take up a lot of space on a board. Switching back to the ROM/RAM configuration that was a Palm standard prior to the Treo 650 could save them some board space, allowing them to make the Centro smaller, and save them money, allowing them to reach their price point.

If indeed NVFS is gone, the Centro might be a lot more stable than the last few generations of Treo have been. If Palm seeks to compete with the RAZR, then they'll need to make the Centro as stable as a RAZR is. That might be one more reason to get rid of NVFS and go back to the old ROM/RAM configuration.

I'm very curious to see how this all shakes out.
    I'm still not sure why Palm did not publish the full specs of the device, but according to Sprint, the Centro has 128MB ROM and 64MB RAM, which suggests it has the same architecture as the 755p afterall.
    So I'm looking at the Sprint inside sales sheet and this is what it says are the "unique" features to the Centro:

Pocket Tunes Deluxe
    Google Maps (which we know isn't unique)
    VersaMail 3.5.4 w/built-in MS Exchange ActiveSync
    Instant Messaging w/Sprint's IM client for Yahoo, AOL and MS
    Mobile Voice Control- Use the Nuance voice control by voice command to respond to email, text messages, look up a contact or browse the web.

Funny thing is in the comparison it says the target market is
    Active professional and social lives. Current feature phone users and PDA users.
    The target market for the 755p is
    Busy professionals. Upgraders from the 650 & 700p
    that part irks me as the 700p was abandoned by Sprint pretty much as soon as the MR was out. I think 700p owners should be able to upgrade with either a) for free with a contract extension or for $99 with no contract extension or rebates.
    That would seem like a somewhat fair compromise for all the crap Palm has put us through with it.

They also tout the full keyboard and touchscreen as a key new feature along with it being the most affordable Palm device, having 4gb mSD card support and the Sprint Music Manager/Pocket Tunes DLX.

They also have a pic with all the key buttons and such. Not one mentions a reset hole anywhere. They do have a side button below the volume on the left that is customizable. That's pretty nice. I know there's 3rd party programs to remap hard keys, but this is built in and a separate button. Kinda nice, like the button on my Nikon D80.

The price structure shows $399 -150 (2yr contract) -100 MIR -50 IR for a total of $99. It says the MIR requires a Power Vision pack valued at $25 MRC or higher along with recommending the $30 Power Vision PRO Pack for $30 since it includes unlimited Text and Active Sync. That's what they say. And they say that pricing is valid from 10/5-11/3, and I know it can be ordered already because my rep was going to put the order in, but said if a bunch in my group wanted them, he could talk to retentions and see about getting them for us at $50.

With the screen being smaller and still 320x320, shouldn't the screen be a little sharper as well?

Sprint is also spending over $13.5M in marketing efforts toward media campaigns to include TV, online banners, print & much more.

There will be a media burst from 10/15-11/4 along with ongoing media through January 2008.

-TV advertisement specific to the Centro targets Early Morning, Network Prime, and Late Night timeframes. Shows include: Grey's Anatomy, The Today Show, The Office, David Letterman and Nightline.

-Print Media includes USA Today, NY Times, Wall Street Journal. Magazines include Rolling Stone, People, Newsweeklies, Real Simple, Oprah, Money, Fortune Small Business, Entrepreneur, Business Week.

Online Banners on CNN Money, Washington Post, NY Times, News Week, CNET, ZDNet, Wired, and Engadget.

Press Release was done on 9/27 @ 2pm in NYC at the DIgita Life Technical Event.

Pre-registration and Pre-Orders started on the 27th at www.palm.com and www.sprint.com/centro.

They claim that this is "the first' ICONIC PDA device launch for Sprint with the 90-day Exclusive being prime for holiday sales.

If I didn't mention a feature or whatever above it means it was the same old thing on the 755. It doesn't look like anything is really lacking except for the memory at 64mb RAM/128mb ROM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Crogs571 -

great info. do they have brochure pics that you can post...pdf?

thanks.
    He only gave me the printout. I'm waiting to get the email. Then I'll post it. Hopefully it's in pdf or ppt format. Will keep you posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by iFalcon View Post
    Crogs571 -

great info. do they have brochure pics that you can post...pdf?

thanks.
    Here's the Powerpoint Presentation they gave the sales staff back on 9/30. Pretty detailed and a bit impressive. Though it lacks a little in the comparison side of things between the 700wx, 755p and Centro.

So it wouldn't upload it as a ppt. I converted it over to pdf. Hope it looks ok.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    the battery on the 680 sucked - I hope things got better with the Centro, Highly doubt it though!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I'm really curious about the Sprint Music Manager mentioned on that page, is it something for wirelessly buying songs, or something to sync music over from a PC that you already own?
    a simple google search reveals....
    http://www2.sprint.com/mr/news_dtl.do?id=15821
    http://musicmanager.sprint.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm really curious about the Sprint Music Manager mentioned on that page, is it something for wirelessly buying songs, or something to sync music over from a PC that you already own?
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I just got two 755p's last week and (because I am within my 30 day trial period) I will swap one out for the Centro. I did a comparison and found the following differences (using only Palm information):

1) Smaller size & lower weight (hence smaller screen & keyboard)
    2) Newer software (Docs to Go 10 and Versamail 4.0)
    3) Better standby but worse talk time
    4) Loser cost

All the above (assuming the keyboard is uasable) are positives in my mind (don't see talking more than 3.5 hours per day on the thing anyway).

I will swap and report. My only worry is if GoodLink will work on the Centro. No reply to many inquiries to Good. I guess the only way to find out is by trying...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast