Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So the Centro has been released, and it seems the only changes Palm made to make this a more consumer-focused device is to make is slightly smaller, and add YouTube and IM. I dont believe they have gone far enough to compete against all the other cheap feature phones on the market who appeal to the same segment they seem to be marketing at.

How would you redesign the Centro to appeal to your kid brother or sister?

I would have gone for a more interesting case, with engravings and printing on it, like the recent sidekicks. Its not meant to cannibalize 755 sales, isn't it, and that would be a clear differentiation.

I would have redesigned the home screen not to be the app screen, but an animated home screen with weather, sports scores, myspace integration and SMS and IM areas.

Photo dialing would be obvious.

I would have included a better camera (at least 2 Megapixel) with flickr and youtube integration.

I would have included a 2 month paid subscription to yahoo's music store, and added a 4 GB memory card preloaded with 1000 music tracks.

I would have dumped the ringer switch (what do kids care about that?)

I would have had dedicated music controls, maybe on the side.

I would certainly have had a 3.5 mm headphone jack, and included headphones in the package.

I would have gone slightly wider, but flatter, with a bigger screen.

I may even have gone for a larger, non-removable battery (worked for Apple, didn't it).

And many more things.

What do people think? Agree or disagree?

Surur
    Here are the only winners I see from your list. I really like all 3 of these and they wouldn't have been hard to add:

"I would have redesigned the home screen not to be the app screen, but an animated home screen with weather, sports scores, myspace integration and SMS and IM areas."

"I would have had dedicated music controls, maybe on the side."

"I would certainly have had a 3.5 mm headphone jack, and included headphones in the package."

These would have been good but impossible at $99:

"I would have included a better camera (at least 2 Megapixel) with flickr and youtube integration."

"I would have included a 2 month paid subscription to yahoo's music store, and added a 4 GB memory card preloaded with 1000 music tracks."

Besides what you listed the only things I would have changed are:

Mini-USB sync and charge.

A version with WM6 pro.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    The style of the phone and the cheap price tag is what will lure 1st time feature/smart phone buyers. Palm nailed it there. Also these same buyers will think that the Palm OS is light years ahead of what their old phone had so why redesign? Though I think the Treo 680 dialer would have been much better suited for the Centro.
    a redesign thread and we still don't have it in our hands......love it!
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    i thought the home screen was a bit confusing. that could be improved. also a better quick start tour would help. How about a blue or green color?
    I think the Centro itself is pretty good as-is.

The desktop software is embarrassingly bad. One review I read called it an insult to its users, which I think is accurate. (At least there's MissingSync on the Mac side. Weak as it is to have to spend $40 for sync software, at least it does more, better, easier than Palm Desktop ever did on any platform.)
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I would fix the voice clarity/compression. The Centro took a big step backwards in this all-important category..

Voice clarity is noticeably low, pitch range sounds flattened. Good chance mine will be returned b/c of this issue unfortunately.
    the OS. until palm gets the new OS out it's going to be hard to appeal to the masses.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    thank you captain obvious. but I think the point is more of the spruce up kind as opposed to a remodel.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    the OS. until palm gets the new OS out it's going to be hard to appeal to the masses.
    I think it can appeal to the masses just fine. Nothing shocking or that hasn't been mentioned, but for me I'd say...

• 3.5mm jack, mini usb and A2DP I think should've been a given
    • a refresh of the home & phone screen should've been there. There are quite a few 3rd party apps with skins and launcher. I think Palm could've done a nice refresh to give the aged OS a new look and improved feel.
    • make it a smidgen thinner. give it a little more cool factor to the younger crowd. too slim might not feel as good in the hands, but it appeals to the younger masses where thin is in. I'd sacrifice a little in the hand feel for a slimmer package.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    It's an aging OS to us. To the masses, they've probably never seen the OS. It's not that bad looking..and still pretty impressive if you've never seen it.

The main problem is failing to make it simple and marketing. Make it simpler and add the accessories and much better & simpler sync software needed for multimedia.

Market it better. Don't hide them in the back. Put a headset with the demo unit. Show off slingbox and pockettunes. How you can quickly search the net for something. Docs to go. You tube. IM app. The threaded text. Ability to record video, record calls, tether a laptop, and even some games.

Market online. Get with world of warcraft and games like that. Develop an app to go with those games. Young people are about the social networking websites like facebook, myspace. Make that work and tell them how great it is.
    I think it'd be a great commercial to have a business man hop on the subway and sit next to a kid listening to his Centro via headset (or bt headset if it was capable) while watching youtube or playing a cool game. The business man could be listening to something as well. Maybe something classical while the kid is listening to something modern. And they cut back and forth between songs showing the kid playing the cool game, watching you tube, texting while the business man is checking his email, scheduling something making use of the icons and graphics. Then have some catchy phrase to tie in the young and old. The two could give those friendly nods like you do to passer by runners and cyclists and such.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I would certainly have had a 3.5 mm headphone jack, and included headphones in the package.
    Surur
    How many telephone headsets have you seen with a 3.5mm jack? I don't think I've EVER seen any, they usually have the smaller 2.5mm jack.

So, how does everyone expect people to use their cellphones with a headset?? They'll have to buy an adaptor to get a cell phone headset to work with a cell phone, instead of using an adaptor to get a music headset to work with a cell phone.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone bring this up. And something tells me it would be easier to get 2 channels out of the 2.5mm jack than to adapt 3 channels from a 3.5mm to a 2.5mm.
    I don't know Crog...the young want nothing to do with the old. I don't think they should be linking that. But heck i guess it beats a few prints in magazines or newspapers that people don't really read or hiding the units in the back..lol
    I think Palm nailed it with the price tag for new customers. The changes that are mentioned here are good, but they would shoot the price tag up. All Palm needs now, would be a strong advertising campain (sp) for the Centro.

Ways to fix Centro:

- Not have Palm OS
    - Have WM6
    - Have 256MB RAM
    - Bluetooth 2.0 with all profiles
    - USB connector for sync/charge
    - Better battery
    - Flush screen/no bezel
    - Squish the hard keys and top section to fit 320x640 screen.
    I wouldn't even buy the centro if it had WM6..
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I think it'd be a great commercial to have a business man hop on the subway and sit next to a kid listening to his Centro via headset (or bt headset if it was capable) while watching youtube or playing a cool game. The business man could be listening to something as well. Maybe something classical while the kid is listening to something modern. And they cut back and forth between songs showing the kid playing the cool game, watching you tube, texting while the business man is checking his email, scheduling something making use of the icons and graphics. Then have some catchy phrase to tie in the young and old. The two could give those friendly nods like you do to passer by runners and cyclists and such.
    That would make a good quick commercial. Especially them both doing other things while they are listening to the music. They should do 4 o 5 different types of ads and that one would work for one of them. They should have one that is just funny for no reason (my personal favorite). One that is straight forward and geared toward business people.

I am including a link to a commercial idea I think would be funny and get the point across that the centro is a better device than the iPhone for sending email.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&postcount=17
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I definitely would. Especially I could get it on Sero.
    A WM6 Centro would outsell a Palm Centro by a wide margin.

320x320 with the candybar form factor and keyboard?

Done. You'd sell a ton of them...even more with evdo rev A.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Ditto. PalmOS, for all its faults, continues to thump WM in usability. I'm not enough of a nerd to buy a phone for its technology while turning a blind eye to its interface.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast