Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    A WM6 Centro would outsell a Palm Centro by a wide margin.

320x320 with the candybar form factor and keyboard?

Done. You'd sell a ton of them...even more with evdo rev A.
    You really think so? I don't.

WM won't have deep consumer market penetration for awhile--it's still mostly a business 1st device and the UI needs a makeover. The HTC touch will address some of this, but it's literally skin deep plus no KB. Average consumers have no idea what EvDO is, let alone "Rev A" so that is hardly a selling point.

BTW, your design specifications above--how will that make a $99 device?

That's the point of the Centro: low cost, entry level, for people who've never used a smartphone. Even the Touch will only hit $249 as a low. Plus you're just basically describing an 800w, which will be out eventually (and for probably $500).

The Centro is a solid device from Palm and for $99 on Sero, it's a killer deal. As I mentioned in another thread, one friend ordered one within hours of seeing mine and I know of 4 others considering the same (2 of those are a definite, they're waiting till this week though to order).

My Moto Q, 700wx and 6700 never got such a reaction before, not even close.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Yes, I really think so.

PalmOS is way buggy and prone to resets...despite being 10 years old.

I would love it to work, but the multitasking, stability, and 3rd party apps trump the "UI"/simplicity of PalmOS.

Wish it wasn't so, but it is...
    I don't think the Centro is good competition for the iPhone, and vice versa. Kids that would be ok typing their little text messages on an iPhone without a physical keyboard are not going to see the value in a more business oriented device that is more efficient for entering tasks and appointments, aside from their current task of going to the Gap, and their appointment next month with the dermatologist.

I don't care what Palm says, the Centro is better suited for former Treo 755p owners who want something even smaller, as well as perhaps a college student who is just now realizing the importance of being more organized through the use of a task list, calendar, and even specific aps for their eventual field of study, and who would be attracted by the low price and small form factor.
    A WM6 Centro would outsell a Palm Centro by a wide margin.

320x320 with the candybar form factor and keyboard?

Done. You'd sell a ton of them...even more with evdo rev A.
    MS would probably want $99 per unit just for the license.
    You're thinking too much into it. Kids don't care about whether its business oriented or how its more efficient for entering tasks. They won't even know its business oriented unless they market it that way.

Does it look cool? If so...Can they listen to music, watch video, access myspace, youtube, and text? That's it in a nutshell. Anything beyond that they don't know..don't care..
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    BTW, your design specifications above--how will that make a $99 device?
    That's the key problem with wish lists. When you're actually designing a device, you are making constant tradeoffs ... size, weight, power, cost, ease of use, ...

With wish lists, there's no need to make any of these difficult decisions.
    I doubt the WM licensing cost is more than PalmOS.

Kids don't want Centros...they want iPhones.

Bottom line, the Centro is a better 700p/755p and people with treat it as such.
    I'd like the sprint music store to work on it, usb connector, and of course, the thinner the better. Other than that, I' m really liking it. I've had a treo 650, a ppc6700, a moto q, and a razr. So far the centro takes the prize for me.
    Of course they want iphones.

Hey kid, what you think of the new Centro.

The what? What's a Centro? lol
  10.    #30  
    Of course one of the highest profile devices with a 3.5mm headphone jack is the iPhone...

Surur
    i just don't think the factor of price was given proper credit from you guys.
    stability? It's a whole new phone sharing the same processor and not much more. It's going to be a lot more reliable tha the 7xx series. People are already commenting on how it's faster and more stable. My i500, kyo 6035, Vx and so on were all very stable. So your argument doesn't hold a lot of water. It's also a lot cheaper. Of the masses and the younger ones to boot, who really needs true multitasking? Not many. They'll be happy they can listen to music in the background while doing other things.
    i
    Yes, I really think so.

PalmOS is way buggy and prone to resets...despite being 10 years old.

I would love it to work, but the multitasking, stability, and 3rd party apps trump the "UI"/simplicity of PalmOS.

Wish it wasn't so, but it is...
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I doubt the WM licensing cost is more than PalmOS.
    well you'd be wrong on that. The cost of licensing WM, particularly WM/Pro (PPC) is definitely a factor, beside which Palm now has an unlimited license for Garnet, so the incremental cost to Palm for Garnet would now be $0.
    Can someone point to the OS cost for WM vs. Palm OS. The fact the Palm already owns the OS (or license) from Access does not matter.

If Motorola wants to make a Palm OS device, how much do they pay? How much do they pay for WM?

I'd like to see some real numbers before I'm declared "wrong".

The economics of how MS operates does not indictate a high OS price per device.
    "who really needs true multitasking?"

Spoken like someone who has never used a mutlitasking device.

Background bluetooth sync , application state maintenance,... the list goes on.

You really don't know how hampered you are until you use a device that is not.
  16.    #36  
    Isn't it simple - You draw them in with eye candy, and keep them with reliability?

Surur
    I would not change a thing. The centro is Palms best smartphone to date (and I have tried them all). I would never consider a WM6 device. I have several work related palm OS programs that I rely on every day and there are no WM6 alternatives. Those that think the Palm OS is buggy and prone to resets need to try the Centro.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    "who really needs true multitasking?"

Spoken like someone who has never used a mutlitasking device.

Background bluetooth sync , application state maintenance,... the list goes on.

You really don't know how hampered you are until you use a device that is not.
    Mike, with all do respect, this is a bit too strong.

Multitasking is nice for those who need it, but not everyone who uses these devices does.

This argument doesn't work with the Centro for two reasons:

(1) It's for entry level users, mostly coming from flip or feature phones
    (2) It's for current POS users

The first group doesn't even know what you mean--they're coming from a flip phone that is pokey and can't multitask as is. They are not power users or people looking to replicate a desktop in a handheld. They just want a cheap phone that has a full KB, nice screen and can IM, SMS, email, some Web and Youtube. (Centro can do push email, switch between Blazer and Kinoma, IM and play music all in the background though).

The second group is well aware of the limitations of POS and won't be fazed by the multitasking argument--they've grown quite accustomed to their ways and are comfortable with that.

Going further, multitasking is somewhat over-rated (unless you truly need it). On WM, it can multitask but at a cost: it's slower and more confusing for novices. How many threads have we seen about "how to kill a program?" "How do I switch to a program?" "How do I know what's running...?" ad nauseum. And what about the "X button that doesn't close apps" controversy.

Now POS doesn't multitask, but it's still fast as hell (possibly even more so on the Centro). There's no speed advantage between the two OSs in regards to the two methods--and in fact, POS launches apps much faster than WM.

What I'm trying to say is not everyone needs multitasking on a handheld. For some, it's a necessity and WM is perfect. For the target audience of the Centro though, it's not necessary. Even I don't miss it too much using the Centro, it's really not a big deal for most everyday programs and functions.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I'd do three versions of the Centro, personally.

A. Same version as we've seen now but with a few small changes. Give it a higher capacity battery (1400mAh minimum) and 3.5mm stereo headphone jack. These are absolute no-brainers! Also include Palm Desktop for Vista ON the bundled CD. Palm/Sprint are going to get a log of complaints/unhappy customers for continuing to act like Vista still is a non-existent OS. Otherwise, it's fine as is but get it at least one or two other CDMA carriers.

B. A slightly upgraded POS version of the Centro. Give it a physically larger 320x320 LCD (about the same size as a 320x320 Palm PDA LCD) and a wider/taller body (spread the innards out more, if possible) with the traditional Treo "smile" keyboard. Fullsize SDHC slot, 1gb internal flash volume (ala T|T5), higher capacity standard battery (1600mAh or 1800 mAh) and a 2.0megapixel camera w/ flash. Finally, give the body the 750/755p rubberized coating. All of this is easily implemented under Garnet and would make for a nice 755p replacement.

C. Same as the above but with WM6 and a choice of UMTS or EVDO Rev. A, A2DP etc. This would make for a nice flagship Centro/Treo.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Palm got it right. The appeal of the Centro is the width. Razrs....too wide. Treos....too wide....Blackberries..too wide.... iPhone too wide. I polled my friend and resident mid 20 something texter. she has had lots of phones upgrading every 6 months and is the queen texter. she bought a Treo just to text. She considered the iPhone and vetoed for a Treo. Her reaction...I wish they had a centro on cingular...it is just what I want.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast