1.    #1  
    I currently have a 755p, and I think to upgrade to a Centro for $399 (without extending my contract) is ridiculous.

Sure, it seems like a nice new "Treo", but for $399, what was Palm & Sprint thinking?

My god, I could purchase an 8GB iPhone for that price and get a whole lot more of features.
    It is priced like a Q, which is reasonable. The $99 deal is with a $25/mo data plan gotcha. Otherwise it would more typically go for $150 given Sprint's standard rebate practice for new customers, again all in line with a Q. In other words, it is priced along with the competition, it is not out of line...

And it certainly does not represent or is not targeted as an upgrade to a 755p... that would obviously be a deathwish for Palm, gutting its own more profitable product...
    Quote Originally Posted by herofromsomeday View Post
    I currently have a 755p, and I think to upgrade to a Centro for $399 (without extending my contract) is ridiculous.

Sure, it seems like a nice new "Treo", but for $399, what was Palm & Sprint thinking?

My god, I could purchase an 8GB iPhone for that price and get a whole lot more of features.
    Don't think you are comparing apples to apples. The $399 iphone price requires a 2-year contract. The 2-year sprint contract price for the centro is $99. So iphone is actually 4X the price of the centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Don't think you are comparing apples to apples. The $399 iphone price requires a 2-year contract. The 2-year sprint contract price for the centro is $99. So iphone is actually 4X the price of the centro.
    Not true. The iPhone is $399, without any rebates or anything, just walk into the store and buy it for that price. Yes you're required to sign a two year agreement to activate it (well, without hacking it), but its $399 whether you buy it and never get a contract at all or whether you go with AT&T and get their two year agreement.
    Nah you can buy an iPhone and hack it, then you only need to pay 400 for it. However I suspect you can buy a Centro on ebay for 300 very soon.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by herofromsomeday View Post
    I currently have a 755p
    In which case there's no point in buying the Centro and you're not the person the phone is targeted at.

The iPhone has recently come down in price, it's likely the Centro will as well after the first month or so.
    yeah it's obvious the 755p and centro were meant for different markets. they 4 months apart in release dates.

the 755p is aimed at those users who like fat, clunky, dated and expensive. While the centro is targeted as those who like slim, sleek, and cost conscious.
    I'm confused when people state that the iPhone has more features. It has a big screen and big storage with a pretty UI. The iPhone can't do a fraction of what a Treo/Centro can do.

It was looking hopeful for the iPhone with all the hackers trying to allow 3rd party apps but I just read somewhere that Apple has released an "update" that has disabled 3rd party apps and re-locked the un-locked phones as well.

I consider the iPhone a huge but pretty step back for me personally. I can see how they fooled featurephoners but I don't understand how they managed to dupe any Smartphone veterans.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo View Post
    I'm confused when people state that the iPhone has more features. It has a big screen and big storage with a pretty UI. The iPhone can't do a fraction of what a Treo/Centro can do.

It was looking hopeful for the iPhone with all the hackers trying to allow 3rd party apps but I just read somewhere that Apple has released an "update" that has disabled 3rd party apps and re-locked the un-locked phones as well.

I consider the iPhone a huge but pretty step back for me personally. I can see how they fooled featurephoners but I don't understand how they managed to dupe any Smartphone veterans.
    Big, the iphone does have a lot of features besides the screen. The main one is speed. I used a friends for 5 minutes and was astonished at how easy it is to use vs my beloved T650. it is not perfect. The Edge broadband is much slower than 3G. It is not an open system with lots of third party apps. But it definitely has huge advantages over the Treo. That is not to say that the Treo doesn't have different advanatages over the Iphone. Each thing i clicked on with the iphone instantly appeared. No sluggishness, no thinking about it, no reboots. You want to drill down 4 levels it takes 4 seconds. Everything is quick and intuitive. Touch screen is MUCH faster and more accurate.

My big frustration is my belief that 2 years from now the iphone will fix a lot of its shortcomings and the Treo 8xx will still be clunky.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Not true. The iPhone is $399, without any rebates or anything, just walk into the store and buy it for that price. Yes you're required to sign a two year agreement to activate it (well, without hacking it), but its $399 whether you buy it and never get a contract at all or whether you go with AT&T and get their two year agreement.
    Yes, it is $399 at the apple store with or without the activation, but you can't even use the ipod or wifi feature unless it is activated. Of course, if all you want is a shiny paper weight, then that's probably not a major issue

For others, it may be a bit difficult to use as a phone.

>>>Can I use iPhone as an iPod or Internet device without activating it?
    You must activate iPhone with a wireless plan to use its features, including iPod features.<<<

>>>There are no equipment or monthly service discounts available with the purchase of an iPhone. *All plans require a 2-year AT&T service agreement, an activation fee, and are subject to AT&T credit approval.<<<

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL.../iphone/iphone
    It takes maybe 30min tto turn an loocked unactivated iPhone into a unlocked world phone.

I consider it a smartphhone because it has a powerful browser. However 3rd partyy wise its 10 times worrse than a blackberry.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    It takes maybe 30min tto turn an loocked unactivated iPhone into a unlocked world phone.
    I am sure that your average iphone buyers are doing just this in mass. And if one ever decides to run Apple's latest software update, he/she may have a surprise in store for him/her.
    Greatr phone but. sure u can get an apple for that much but y.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post

I consider it a smartphhone because it has a powerful browser. However 3rd partyy wise its 10 times worrse than a blackberry.
    Have you been following the 1.1.1 update fiasco at all?

No more unlocking of iPhones, no more 3rd party apps and no custom ringers.

In fact, if you did unlock and used certain programs to do so, you phone is no longer a phone anymore, just an iPod Touch. Your only hope now is for hackers to fix it (you can at least downgrade the OS to reinstall 3rd party apps, but it won't fix the bricked radio).

Now people can say "it's just a matter of time" but as far as I can tell, jailbreaking these devices is getting exponentially harder with each update e.g. the iPod Touch has not been jailbreaked.

So back to the original point: comparing an out-of-contract Centro ($399) to an iPhone ($399 + 2yr contract and all the limitations/risks from "hacking" it) seems to be a bit off...

(love this graphic btw, lol):

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.en...ne-diagram.jpg

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    i don't feel bad for any of those "hackers" out there......what did they really achieve? not much at the end of the day. i applaud their efforts though!
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i don't feel bad for any of those "hackers" out there......what did they really achieve? not much at the end of the day. i applaud their efforts though!
    I don't feel bad either (obviously, lol) but it would have been nice if Apple took a "look the other way" approach to at least the 3rd party apps situation, which I think is what everyone had thought would be the case.

But Apple sent a message loud and clear this time, which I think was the point. They have their vision for this phone and their sticking to it. Totally their prerogative.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Palm should introduce Centro in Asia. People in Asia normally won't buy phone with a service plan. Most new features phone, Samsung, LG, Motorola, Nokia, SE etc., cost more the US$399.00.