1.    #1  
    I bought a 680 to replace my 650 and I couldnt get used to it... to be honest, everything that I wanted to do took more steps and it felt clunky. I overall loved the phones size and keyboard and would really like it to replace my 650.... should I give it another chance? Do any of you previous 650 owners have any tweaks that you did to the phone app to help you adjust? I see people complaining about the newer models missing the 680s phone app and I say that is great, as I never saw anything better about it... anyone want to set me straight? Thanks
    Give another chance to the 680... I had a Treo 650 some time ago and I couldnt get used to it.

But I like very much the Phone App of the 680... and I really do not wanna change my Treo... it's exactly what I was looking for
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Maybe it's just me but I do hate when I select a contact and press the number I then have to re-press it again to make the call.
  4.    #4  
    Thats exactly what Im talking about. Are there any ways to modify things like that to make the app more usable?
    Can't you immediately dial a number by pressing the green button? I know if you use the middle button of the 5-way then you have to press twice. But not if you just press the green button first.
    Treo 680 GSM since July 2007
    Treo 600 GSM from November 2003 through July 2007
    AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly PacBell PCS) since September 1998
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert00 View Post
    Can't you immediately dial a number by pressing the green button? I know if you use the middle button of the 5-way then you have to press twice. But not if you just press the green button first.
    Yes you can...that's how I do it and it's only one step.
    But in order to find a number you are usually using the five way first.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Hardly ever use D-pad when getting a number (unless calling non-default number of a contact)

I type the first letter of first name then start to spell surname mostly 3 keys will get to contact I want. Press green key to dial and I am done.

Very slick IMHO
    680 is awesome
    give it another shot
    I'm wondering guyz about Favorite feature which by which you can dial number fastly
    it was working but not any more, although my numbers still assigned in the fav tab
    which software interfere with Speed Dials?
    There's a thread (maybe more) at MTDN which I came across which mentions this.

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,54648.0.html

Could be caused by KeyCaps600 or Obfuscate.
    Treo 680 GSM since July 2007
    Treo 600 GSM from November 2003 through July 2007
    AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly PacBell PCS) since September 1998
  11. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I dig the Phone app. I've seen the older 'phone' app on the 650 and it looks pretty cool too. It could use a graphical makeover though, the 650 one.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert00 View Post
    There's a thread (maybe more) at MTDN which I came across which mentions this.

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,54648.0.html

Could be caused by KeyCaps600 or Obfuscate.
    Thanks Catbert,

This has been a niggling problem for awhile. Never had the, took the, time to investigate. Ya gota love TC.

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
  13. 2xs
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I like the phone app too, its quite easy to replace the Pilot III - design with DialByPhoto ;-)
    current devices: PRE+
    I prefer the 680 phone/contacts tabbed app over my old 650. It's prettier too.

But, one thing that annoys me is that the Contacts app forces me to see all the numbers under a given name while scrolling the list. I have a lot of business contacts where I may not remember the name, but do know the Company name. It is a sluggish hassle to try and scroll to the company desired via Category, when only 2 or 3 Companies appear per screen. The old 650 app allowed just scrolling the full list with only one contact per line. Much faster on the 650.

Now for the kicker. I actually like the one-handed operation of the original Palm Inc (Blue circle logo), that was on the T|C, T|T3, and other 5-way d-pad devices. It was so easy to to get places, even without a keyboard. But, since the Treo 600 (Handspring) saved Palm in the merger, they went with the Handspring (Treo) version instead of the Palm Inc (T3) version.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by vbittnv View Post
    Thats exactly what Im talking about. Are there any ways to modify things like that to make the app more usable?
    I think the folks who do a lot of texting like it better the way it is. Since the green button dials immediately, both camps get most of what they want. There are always compromises, though, like the double click needed to dial.
    My vote is the 650 phone app. I loved the multiple screen layout rather than the one long scroll of the 680. I had favorites laid out across the grid in easy to remember ways...could find a number without looking. Can't find a way to do that on 680.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtsmagic View Post
    My vote is the 650 phone app. I loved the multiple screen layout rather than the one long scroll of the 680. I had favorites laid out across the grid in easy to remember ways...could find a number without looking. Can't find a way to do that on 680.
    mtsmagic,

Geez, I thought I was the only one that missed the"multiple screen layout." As it is now, I only use the first page that comes up for "favorites." Anything after that, I find it easier to just type in the contact.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    i prefer the t650 phone app too , i think the 650 has a better build, more quality feel. the 650 has been my best phone of ALL time and I have had atleast 30 phones, the 680 comes in second .. had to get it becuase it was supposedly the upgrade and the additional memory is great, like the sd on the side.
    So far I still like the 650's phone app better than the 680s. For basic phone functions the 650's worked so much more efficiently to make calls in my opinion. I'll survive the 680, it's worth it for everything else.
    The Treo 680 phonebook is abolutely useless and a major step down from the 650. I personally am making do with Takephone on my 680 or else I probably would have gone back to my 650 by now. What fail to understand is why Palm could not have given an option for the user to select the phonebook they wish to use.