1.    #1  
    A little history...

I got a 650 when they were released. Switched from Verizon to Cingular to get on this phone. It was a real workhorse. I applied one of the custom ROM's and was generally happy with the device. It took a real beating, several countries, a few skin cases, and lots of software. In short, I owned, and loved, this phone till it hitmy tile floor and cracked the screen.

Towards the end, I was starting to get phone envy. I say the 750's and thought, gee wouldnt that be nice with PalmOS. I saw the iPhone and thought, gee, I could be web centric. I saw the blackberrys and thought gee, wouldnt it be noce not to crash every once in a while. And even thought about some of the feature phones that can sync contacts. But nothing could make me move till I broke the 650.

After it broke, I went to my, now ATT, store and fot the "top of the line"treo. I thought, might as well beat the top of the food chain, it will last longer. Got a 750, and boy did WinMobile not fit into my usage schedule. I realy dont multitask my phone. I will look up a contact, or my schedule, or the web/email, and make calls, but I have yet to need to do more than one at a time on a 2 inch 320x320 screen. I returned the 750 within 48 hours.

Next up, and current, is a 680. All the quirks of a 650/PalmOS device without the ability to roll your own ROM. I realy think it was rolling my own that made my 650 as stable as it was. I was still getting 2.5 days of battery life after 3 years. On the 680, well maybe 8 hours. And the thing may not crash, but it sure lags in launching and changing apps. It seems a huge factor slower than the 650. and it hangs, seemingly every time it connects to check email it will connect, and sit there, eating battery, trying to hit edge, it gets really hot.

I have made a fairly large incestment in palm over the years...
    Datebk6
    TakePhone
    2Day
    4Cast
    Chatter
    Passwords Plus
    pTunes
    BikeOrDie
    BestSkinsEver
    Various Seido stuff
    Extended battery
    Sena

And quite frankly, I am frustrated with the quality of the available current generation Palm devices.

Add to this, My 680, BSE skinned 3 days after I got it, has no less than 2 stress cracks around the screen. The silver part, in the top right area at the screen corner, lower right just to the right of the power button. No scratches on the unit, no drops, just shoddy manufacturing.

This has made me think about my use. I use contacts, schedule, and email heavily. I dont use web much because Blazer sucks and Opera Mini just seems awkward. I never seem to sync but once a month or so to get my new contacts. I use a IBM/Lenovo X61T as my primary machine, WinVistaUlt, Office07, OneNote. I have had no problems with the new Palm sync software. I am just frustrated with this phone. People say they are calling me and I dont even get the ring.

I guess I am just venting. I was looking for the 680 to be an improvement, and in some ways it is. There is alot more space on the device. I dont accidentally pop out the SD card anymore. Volume care seem less necessary. But come on, it is slower, and the build quality just seems lacking.

Prehaps I will go demo the iPhone, I could probably be more web centric. I could also use Googles calendar app. Who knows.

ART
    I would think you could return the device under the warranty if it has all the problems that yours does. I have two and neither of them have any stress cracks, nor do they run hot.

BTW...you can "roll your own ROM" on the 680
    Art,

Dude, I feel your pain! I did something I've never done with Palms before, buy one when it first came out: the 680. I wanted an "upgrade" too, mainly for the added RAM...and I fell in love with the antennaless formfactor. I've already switched back to my 650 twice since getting the 680, and I'm on the verge of doing it again. When I loaded the Cust#1 ROM on my 680, it greatly improved it, and this sluggishness was almost (if not completely) alleviated, and I was very happy with my 680 (finally). Then, I bought/installed TakePhone and Butler, and the sluggishness came back! I've tried deleting both TakePhone (which I'm addicted to!) and Butler, but the sluggishness doesn't go away. Oh, and this is my 2nd 680, which I can't return now, because I dropped it, and it's all nicked up. :u( Anyway...

I really want to like and use the 680, rather than giving up and reverting back to my beloved and stable, but RAM-starved 650, since I am a "troubleshooter" by nature and profession. Some preliminary testing seems to indicate that it should still be possible to get our 680's working right again (though it shouldn't be necessary to go through all this). If you're willing, I'd like to try to work with you, either on this board or offline, to figure this out. Judging by your list of apps, it appears that you aren't necessarily a "power user" and/or just don't have that much installed. I would suggest to you first that you load one of the custom ROM's found in the Custom ROM thread of this forum. That may be all you need to do.

As far as the hardware itself... yeah, I was a bit disappointed in the quality of the 680, but on the other hand, I've dropped it more than any other Palm I've owned, and it hasn't been adversely affected (except for the nicks mentioned above)! The stress cracks you have are very unfortunate. I haven't heard of "stress cracks" on Palm OS devices since I had a Handspring Visor Prism. Maybe you want to try to get one more good replacement before trying a custom ROM...

Anyway, good luck!

Mark
    PalmOS user since 1998. Treo user since 2006. WM user since 4/1/2009.
    PalmPilot Personal > PalmPilot Pro Upgrade > PalmIII Upgrade > PalmIII > PalmIIIx > Efig PalmV8 > Visor Prism > PalmVx > m515 > Tungsten T|3 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo755p > Treo700wx > Treo800w > TreoPro
    "Riding for the Son" <><
    I just figured out my problem with the help of this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&page=1&pp=20
    PalmPilot Personal > PalmPilot Pro Upgrade > PalmIII Upgrade > PalmIII > PalmIIIx > Efig PalmV8 > Visor Prism > PalmVx > m515 > Tungsten T|3 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo755p > Treo700wx > Treo800w > TreoPro
    "Riding for the Son" <><
    Yeah, I found out what things were potentially causing problems, but bottom line, the 680 just doesn't run as well (for me) as the 650. Probably better for new/non-power users. Oh well...
    "Riding for the Son" <><