Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Who will buy this phone though are...drumroll please...Treo users who want a different look after looking at the same design for 2-3 years now. Sure, it's a downgrade, but hey, it's a different look.
    Try the App Ultimate Phone by GX5... it rather gives the Palm OS a new breath of life to me... it makes it look like a completely different OS. So now i dont feel my Treo's that old anymore...
    i thought it was going to be smaller than it is but it looks almost as big as the 750/680. trying to understand the hype about the Centro being so much smaller. it might be on paper but it simply didn't look it on the video, that's all.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    .......Over a year ago, palm released the 700p. Since then, nothing new. Nothing. Zilch.
    I am old and I drink; remind me what was new in the 700.

Except a year or more in which they wouldn't release any updates for the 700p and EOL'ed it when they finally sent one out that bricked a huge number of them. Combine this with the laughable Foleo and Palm hasn't had much to be excited about...........
    Maybe their problem is that they think that the Centro is exciting. Whatever, they have got a big problem. Somehow they seem to think that they have all the time in the world to fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i thought it was going to be smaller than it is but it looks almost as big as the 750/680. trying to understand the hype about the Centro being so much smaller. it might be on paper but it simply didn't look it on the video, that's all.
    That's what, the 50th time you've said that? Pretty soon, someone might start getting tired of hearing the same comment from the same person, over and over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    ..........And with the new news, you won't be tied to sprint. The gsm version is around the corner.................
    That is what they always say. I am still waiting for a GSM replacement for my 650. I think that Palm is running out of time but I know that I am.
    actually, I am tired of aolvarez's negativity even though he agreed with me on my power user comment. We get it already. We know the opinion and thoughts. Now it's just old.

And there isn't anything new on OS and software side on the Centro. Do we need to harp on the whole "nothing evolutionary" theme anymore? The argument is old now. We all agree on the opinion. We all pretty much agree something like the Centro should've been around a generation ago. Could've easily been the next step after the 700p/wx. But it wasn't. Palm had their thumbs up their *ss. They finally realized their strengths were in pda phones, they dropped the FOLEO, and appropriately so. Their efforts are solely focused on phones now so maybe they're getting back to their roots and moving forward on a positive note. There won't be anything revolutionary until Linux. Get over it already.

On another note, I would've liked to see the same amount of memory on the Centro as the previous round of Treos have. I'd like to see a mini USB connector, and I'd like to see a simple recessed reset hole. I'd pay $25 more for the memory. And I also think if they want to reach out to a younger crowd, the younger crowd doesn't want proprietary connectors. It's great that it has the old palm connector for legacy's sake, but the younger crowd probably has quite a few mini usb products that would make their life easier by maintaining it.
    Last edited by crogs571; 10/11/2007 at 11:38 AM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    well if photos have been spotted, and sprint's exclusivity is only for 90 days, I think it's a safe assumption. I highly doubt Palm would invest the money they did in the marketing campaign for the Centro to have it limited to just Sprint. That wouldn't make financial sense on their part.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    That is what they always say. I am still waiting for a GSM replacement for my 650. I think that Palm is running out of time but I know that I am.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    all I was doing was pointing out the young crowd don't all own the blackjack type of phones and don't rely on their phone to be their end all multimedia device. Get a grip.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Um, yeah OK. Let me know when you see roving bands of teens with Treos (or
    Centros). I'd really like to see a picture of it too.
    well if photos have been spotted, and sprint's exclusivity is only for 90 days, I think it's a safe assumption. I highly doubt Palm would invest the money they did in the marketing campaign for the Centro to have it limited to just Sprint. That wouldn't make financial sense on their part.
    Perhaps you give Palm credit for more "financial sense" than I do. Research in Motion has financial sense. Apple has financial sense. Google has financial sense. Remember when Treo was a leading brand? Boy, those were the days!
    I'm at the point where I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. They did something ballsy by dropping the FOLEO. Thinking they maybe had a wakeup call. So I've ridden with them for this long. I'll wait out the next big thing and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Perhaps you give Palm credit for more "financial sense" than I do. Research in Motion has financial sense. Apple has financial sense. Google has financial sense. Remember when Treo was a leading brand? Boy, those were the days!
    so funny.....and so sensitive. ok for everyone to repetitively blast all things apple but find it difficult to see their new Centro painted in a less than positive light. big deal, relax.

i like the device, i like that it's less heavy and carries a slightly smaller form factor. i also think they could have done so much more given that they've been designing/producing them for some time now. cannibalizing the sales of their other devices while letting them go for $99 is an interesting business tactic as well.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 10/12/2007 at 12:38 PM.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    all I was doing was pointing out the young crowd don't all own the blackjack type of phones and don't rely on their phone to be their end all multimedia device. Get a grip.
    No that was not what you implied. You implied that they went gaga over your Treo. I think you need to get a grip. The positive Centro thread is another one. You don't need to try to put down everyone here who has something less than stellar to say about the Centro.

I would hazard to say I've used Treos longer than you have. Ever have a Treo 270? No? Didn't think so. Don't need a lecture from you. Come back in six months and tell us what a storming sales success the Centro is. Personally I'm put my money on it being the same old, same old. Palm's revenue will slowly decline until they get to late 2008. Then the sales will either do up slightly or tank if they don't get the OS out the door.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    well one. you would be wrong. I had a kyocera 6035 and a treo 270 before I got my i500 mr smartypants. Not to mention owning a palm 1000, professional, IIIx and Vx. I think I've run the palm course for longer than you have.

And my statement was not that they went gaga. It was "they were amazed I can text so fast" because I'd reply back with lengthy texts rather quickly while they're using all their shortcut english to send back little phrases. And I also mentioned they thought my phone was huge. I also mentioned that I saw a lot of the slim winmob phones and not sidekicks and the like. So get your facts straight first before you try to put someone in their place.

And I don't think I ever claimed that the Centro will be a huge success. I was just claiming what I saw around me compared to what someone else saw. Do I like this phone? For one reason, it's smaller than the 700. I hate the brick treo. I want a nice updated i500. Take the Centro, shave off a few more millimeters of thickness, put a hinge in the middle and you can send me on my way for quite a few years. All the power user crap and multimedia is all glitz and fluff for me. I want a strong pda and a good phone in the smallest form possible. This gets me closer than what I'm at now. So I'll be happy. Now the techy geek in me can't wait to see the linux version and see what kind of form factor they put it in. Will it all succeed from the Centro to Linux? We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    No that was not what you implied. You implied that they went gaga over your Treo. I think you need to get a grip. The positive Centro thread is another one. You don't need to try to put down everyone here who has something less than stellar to say about the Centro.

I would hazard to say I've used Treos longer than you have. Ever have a Treo 270? No? Didn't think so. Don't need a lecture from you. Come back in six months and tell us what a storming sales success the Centro is. Personally I'm put my money on it being the same old, same old. Palm's revenue will slowly decline until they get to late 2008. Then the sales will either do up slightly or tank if they don't get the OS out the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    ...........Palm's revenue will slowly decline until they get to late 2008. Then the sales will either do up slightly or tank if they don't get the OS out the door.
    You are more hopeful than I. I do not see the (GSM/UMTS/HSDPA) market just sitting around for the next fifteen months to see if Palm can get its head out. Palm had to make one bad decision after another to find itself waiting two years for a POS upgrade.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I think palm got it right. To give you some history. I was on the PDA bandwagon early, I skipped getting a palm and got some of the first generation windows CE devices, graduated to pocket pc for a few years, then once the cell phone became a must have device, I dropped my PDA. My purse was too full. after a while, I got an ipod...and was disappointed my phone was a crappy contact manager. I started to ue my ipod for contacts, and well got a mac. Since then I have been missing my PDA. But too many devices isn't fun. I looked at the treos...and thought they were too wide. I am stuck with Sprint, so no fun phones for me. I looked at sidekicks and all kinds of other devices. At the end of the day, they were crappy phones. I was really hyped about the iphone, but it felt just a little too wide to be a great phone...so I had decided to hold off till rev2, and wait for more reviews.

Out of the blue I saw the new Centro in a mag or engadget or whatever. Suddenly it seemed like there might be a perfect device. So I went to the sprint store to check it out. Eureka! I skinny (from the width perspective) smartphone. This actually feels like a phone in my hand and not a PDA. I'll probably make the switch in the next few weeks.

A smartphone for the masses....Palm finally put the phone part first...and this will make it a winner. (And I have met a few others in or around my age demographic hankering for one too!)
    It's interesting to read some of the back-and-forth over the Centro before the release. Initially, I didn't like the look (especially in white) and didn't think I'd be interested for all the reasons previously mentioned on this thread. The specs aren't very impressive, the screen will be too small, the keyboard will be hard to use, there's no innovation here, etc.

Then I held one and tried it out.

It's faster than a 755p. The size is just right. The display is brighter, clearer, and prettier than any previous Treo. The keyboard is not hard to use. The included software adds real value to the device. It looks and feels much better in the hand than all the grainy spy shots and promotional photos indicated. I am disappointed in the battery life, but at least it recharges quickly.

Are there any other Centro owners who used to be skeptics?