Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 117
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The issue for myself is this: I'm not willing to trade battery life for a thin PDA phone, which I use for RSS, IM, web surfing, media streaming & playing and push email all over a 3g network. So my 700wx is chunky, but I can squeeze a 2600mah battery in it which allows me to not have to worry about how I use the device.
    I can understand that... although I would prefer that the device itself be intrinsically thin, but permit the use of an extended battery, much like the Blackjack or most of the HTC devices, so that one has a choice, even on a daily basis, between carrying around a thin device or a device that becomes less thin when its extended battery is attached, depending on that person's needs, or even the needs of the day. Most days I spend an appreciable time by my desk where I can afford to have the device on the charger if need be, to top it off, but other days, or trips, I don't have that situation and must have a longer battery life to get me through those days... ( I realize that this speaks against the notion that Apple made the right choice about its nonremovable battery... oh well, like you said about tradeoffs...)
  2. #82  
    remember the i500? that had and still has a following and many wishing someone (damn you LG for dropping the ball) would come forth with a successor. The Centro proves you can make the phone small enough. Now put a damn hinge on it with an external display and you open the door to everyone that can't stand candy bar phones or just prefer flips in general. I wouldn't classify the 3125 as a possible solution as no pda phone should be limited to a # keypad as its only source of input.

    That being said (and this isn't directed to neurocutie but to many here in general), I'm all for bashing Palm at their lack of innovation as they've been leapfrogged by many others in the market, but we're all crossing our fingers at the linux treo that will hopefully be released before next year's end. But why would you bash the Centro for not being innovative? Why would you even expect at this point to see something innovative from them when clearly they're next big thing is the Linux Treo? Take a chill pill already. They're attempting something different with what they have. Hopefully the third time is the charm on this chipset/processor. If it opens the door to some new owners that will hopefully upgrade to the next gen one down the road, great. If it keeps some 600/650 owners pacified till the next gen (finally), great. For those with 680's on up, get a grip, get over it or whatever.

    Personally I might give it a shot. Have been playing with the BB8830 for a bit and like it a lot, but still long for some of my POS familiarity, touchscreen and 3rd party programs. Liking the slimness of the BB, my 700p is not going to stick around any longer. I'm not a power user with a ton of programs. I use it extensively as a PIM with some 3rd party stuff, and all that can be done on the Centro. If I can now truly pocket my phone like I could my i500 with BT and card expandibility and evdo, then I'm a happy camper till the next round. That's all I wanted the successor to the i500 to be without going to a big fat brick. So I think I'll be a happy camper for a bit as long as the over stability has been improved, which I'll cross my fingers and give the benefit of the doubt to palm one more time. To release a third phone on the same platform knowing the bugs that has plagued it for a couple years is ballsy. So I'll assume they've been tweaking it even more since the 755 release.
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    I keep wishing that Palm or *someone* would make a Treo/Centro that is shaped/formed like a RAZR or Katana. Technologically it is clearly possible -- the HTC StarTrek / Cingular 3125 is such a device (a WM/Std like a Q/Dash, but in the size/form of a RAZR).

    A RAZR/Blade/Katana sized Palm flipphone is what I've been wanting for years. Why choose between a Centro and a RAZR -- have the best of both...

    (I know, although HTC could make it, Palm apparently can't and doesn't have the vision or gumption to even try... sigh...)
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  3. Shucks's Avatar
    Posts
    300 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    #83  
    This thing does have a touch screen right??
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

    REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    You gave up having 1 device for 2 and now have a monthly BES expense, yet you don't see any trade-offs? So much for convergence. Isn't that like $800 in equipment plus about $100 in monthly expenses?
    -my employer pays for BES
    -the media experience is laughable on a Treo when comparing it to an iPhone
    -i use the Pearl M-F for biz purposes
    -i enjoy the iPhone when i want to, it's a pure luxury item.

    no tradeoff, just two different slim-line devices that do different things almost perfectly given my wants/needs.

    no need to be confused, Mal, it's really not all that hard to understand.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    no need to be confused, Mal, it's really not all that hard to understand.
    It is if you are playing it off as an alternative solution to a $99 Centro with Sprint's cheap plans...but you're not really doing that, are you? So I'm questioning the relevance.

    You lambaste Palm for not making a small, thin device and yet your solution is what? Two devices?

    What do people do if they don't want to drop a grand on devices/service for a converged device that does a little of everything? That's where a Centro can fill in the blank for some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shucks View Post
    This thing does have a touch screen right??
    Yes, it has a touch screen.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6. #86  
    with some of the BB talk going on, I know about ten people that had pearls at some point. Only one of them liked it. I played it with it and hated it. suretype surely does not equal full qwerty. I've been using an 8830 for more than two weeks now and liked it much better than the Pearl after about 3hrs. Now I'd rather have a Curve to play with as it has a smaller footprint, but that's not an option with Sprint. I didn't care for the Q either or the Blackjack. You have almost 1/3 of the screen that isn't usable because of the top and bottom bars that I don't believe are removable. So what's the point of the screen if you only have 68% of it to work with?

    I liked the idea of the u740. For some of us the basic goal is to have a phone that is a great (key word there) PIM that has decent texting and email capability. The rest is just fluff. I'm a gadget geek, and I love the idea of all the extra functionality, multimedia and the like. At the end of the day, I find myself doing the basics 95% of the time. If the u740 could be a good PIM, I'd be sold if I could do all the basic pda functions on it. Again, one of the reasons why the i500 had such a following. And for those that thought the i550 was ugly, many thought the i500 was ugly compared to the brick like kyocera 7135. The pics apparently didn't do it justice. That phone was the most solid feeling phone I ever had, and I'd take it's keypad over the razr's any day.

    As far as thickness? I just don't understand it. I'm not an apple fan by any means, but they make the slimmest devices compared to their competitors. All the other mp3 players are just damn chunky for the most part. They'd have similar footprints but be noticeably thicker, and that's after multiple generations. I'll give some leeway to the most recent generations, but Palm has never seemed to catch on, and I can't understand why. It's like they stick to some aged board/chipset that limits thinness and just can't think outside the box. Would be very interesting to hear the "real" reason for it.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  7. #87  
    happy your employer covers that for you, but what about everyone else? If you really want to take such a defensive stance about your BB in a non BB centric thread, then take it elsewhere. You're obviously smoking the crack and thus lose all sense of credibility to others here. If I were Mal, I'd just start ignoring your posts altogether and focus on the more pertinent replies to the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    -my employer pays for BES
    -the media experience is laughable on a Treo when comparing it to an iPhone
    -i use the Pearl M-F for biz purposes
    -i enjoy the iPhone when i want to, it's a pure luxury item.

    no tradeoff, just two different slim-line devices that do different things almost perfectly given my wants/needs.

    no need to be confused, Mal, it's really not all that hard to understand.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    The Centro proves you can make the phone small enough. Now put a damn hinge on it with an external display and you open the door to everyone that can't stand candy bar phones or just prefer flips in general. I wouldn't classify the 3125 as a possible solution as no pda phone should be limited to a # keypad as its only source of input.
    Its not that I'd be tremendously happy with a 3125, but rather it demonstrates that it is totally possible to engineer a WM or PalmOS flipphone in a RAZR/Katana-like package. Yes, I would much rather the 3125 have a touch screen and run either WM/PPC or PalmOS. But in terms of the form factor and hardware, the 3125 to me is great (once you add the touch screen): it is powerful enough, with enough memory, QVGA screen, sufficient 1100mah battery (granted it is non-3G/GSM). It is remarkable to watch Slingbox on that thing... and it and the i500 continues to remind me that I really want a flipphone (sorry to be repetitious, but you brought it back up :-) Between the 3125 (with only a keypad) and the Centro, I pick the 3125... except I can't because its not on Sprint... So I'm just left with "bar-hopping" :-) Centro vs Q vs Touch... (I won't touch anything more bricky-chunky than these devices).

    Perhaps the dark horse of this market will be ALP... (once you consider how much time and resources and opportunities Palm had to "get it right", plus the continued reputation for Treos to be unstable, I dunno... maybe I'll be glad to have another Palm-compatible entity on the market)...
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    happy your employer covers that for you, but what about everyone else? If you really want to take such a defensive stance about your BB in a non BB centric thread, then take it elsewhere. You're obviously smoking the crack and thus lose all sense of credibility to others here. If I were Mal, I'd just start ignoring your posts altogether and focus on the more pertinent replies to the thread.
    not a defensive stance by any means. just responding to one of Mal's statements/questions (something about slim devices/removable batteries/can't last longer) in that there are slim devices out there with smaller batteries that can outlast a Treo. period.

    if you don't like what i have to say don't respond/comment, Mal has that choice too.

    I like the idea of the Centro, i've said that before, it's just too bad that it most probably won't double as a true business device, and it's really too bad they couldn't produce a device like this long ago (ask 680/750 owners if they'd rather own "smaller, less bricklike").

    T680/T750 shaved down once again and that's it. what a pity, they really could have done something great.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 10/02/2007 at 10:26 PM.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  10. #90  
    I wish LG would've done something with Samsung's Palm info they bought. Think the market would be a little different if they picked up where Samsung left off.

    And you can be repititious all you want. I use to live on the i500 forum at pdaphonehome. I still have mine. Was going to reactivate it when I heard text messaging worked again, but it was short lived. That and the limited Contacts program isn't doing it for me anymore either. It is a frustrating world for the flip fans.

    I'll see if the Centro can keep me a Palm customer for another year or so, otherwise I'll do or die with the 8830. It's bad enough I'd have to use Outlook with the BB. I'll be very hard pressed to use an MS based phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Its not that I'd be tremendously happy with a 3125, but rather it demonstrates that it is totally possible to engineer a WM or PalmOS flipphone in a RAZR/Katana-like package. Yes, I would much rather the 3125 have a touch screen and run either WM/PPC or PalmOS. But in terms of the form factor and hardware, the 3125 to me is great (once you add the touch screen): it is powerful enough, with enough memory, QVGA screen, sufficient 1100mah battery (granted it is non-3G/GSM). It is remarkable to watch Slingbox on that thing... and it and the i500 continues to remind me that I really want a flipphone (sorry to be repetitious, but you brought it back up :-) Between the 3125 (with only a keypad) and the Centro, I pick the 3125... except I can't because its not on Sprint... So I'm just left with "bar-hopping" :-) Centro vs Q vs Touch... (I won't touch anything more bricky-chunky than these devices).

    Perhaps the dark horse of this market will be ALP... (once you consider how much time and resources and opportunities Palm had to "get it right", plus the continued reputation for Treos to be unstable, I dunno... maybe I'll be glad to have another Palm-compatible entity on the market)...
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  11. #91  
    You make your opinion like it's a fact and you make an assumption about the device based on it. You want product X, but it has features a, b and c when you want features b, c, & d. So you look at product Y, and it has a, c & d. So you compromise with one or the other. Oh well. Every pda phone on the market seems to be a compromise of design and feature set to most people. The Treo became my only POS option when Samsung bailed on the market. Am I happy? No. I don't like candybar style phones period regardless of how thick or thin, wide or narrow.

    The centro couldn't have been great because it's based on the current existing designs regardless of what some Palm person says about it's internal architecture. Their future is the next generation phone, not this one. This one is their attempt at reaching a different market first, and possibly enticing some current owners to upgrade before their "revolutionary" upgrade. I also think it's painfully obvious that they have some limitation in their internal hardware that prevents them from making a leap in size limitations. But you'll never get the real answer so we just speculate and ***** about thickness or battery size. I'd like to think they put the largest battery size they could based on the casing and internals they were working with. Of course someone like Seidio will most likely tweak the battery size or use a better battery tech than Palm was willing to use to fit a longer life battery in there.

    All in all it doesn't mean it can't be a true business device. It just can't be your idea of a true business device. And while I like the BB Curve and 8830 (had good experiences with it in Australia for a couple of weeks), they'll never be my idea of a true business device as long as they're crippled with an inferior PIM and a lack of 3rd party software options along with crippled storage card use that Palm and Windows devices have. But this is just my opinion. Your needs and my needs are different so our opinions differ as does yours and Mal's.

    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post

    I like the idea of the Centro, i've said that before, it's just too bad that it most probably won't double as a true business device, and it's really too bad they couldn't produce a device like this long ago (ask 680/750 owners if they'd rather own "smaller, less bricklike").

    T680/T750 shaved down once again and that's it. what a pity, they really could have done something great.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  12. #92  
    lets see what the masses say after they release it as some have already spoken. many here on TreoCentral seem to think very little about what Palm has done with the Centro or laugh that they're selling it alongside the 755/680 but for hundreds less.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  13. #93  
    From what I can see of Palm's "target" market for the Centro, they haven't got a chance. Aside from my own preferences, I have a daughter in high school and a son in college. They laughed at this device. Kids want one of the following:

    1.) High-end flash, music & video. Today, this is the iPhone.
    2.) Heavy duty texting. This means a flip open wide keyboard. Think Sidekick.
    3.) Cheap flashy basic phone. Think pink RAZR.
    4.) Photo and Video junkies. Think 5MP camera phone.

    This isn't any of these. And it's tied (for now) to Sprint. This is better than trying to sell a 755 to teens, but anyone who thinks this is going to flood the market is seriously delusional.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  14. #94  
    You would be correct. I don't think they're aiming at high schoolers though. college on up to the 30's.

    I'm 37 and i wanted the iphone..lol. I don't get the texting stuff, don't want to, and probably never will though..

    I see two different types though. The music & video ones with a little txting thrown in. These will pay a little, wanna be cool, and will take care of it.

    Then there's the ones who want something cheap (in case they lose it or treat it bad), simple, take pics, and looks cute. Text is important here too.

    The Treo (oops i mean Centro..lol) is closer to the second one. Having the red color might help in cuteness, but it'll be a hard sale.

    Who will buy this phone though are...drumroll please...Treo users who want a different look after looking at the same design for 2-3 years now. Sure, it's a downgrade, but hey, it's a different look.

    Palm needs the widescreen Treo Touch to grab the kiddies..and me..and a lot of other people. Or they may as well hang it up.
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    ...
    Who will buy this phone though are...drumroll please...Treo users who want a different look after looking at the same design for 2-3 years now. Sure, it's a downgrade, but hey, it's a different look.
    ...
    I agree 100% with this. But I don't think it's what Palm wants or needs though.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I agree 100% with this. But I don't think it's what Palm wants or needs though.
    I don't think so either. They have abandoned their traditional market with roots in Palm and gone after one with high barriers to entry. Too bad.
  17. #97  
    I'm at the movie theater checking email on my 700p, and I see the group of kids next to me texting on blackjacks and q's. Not one sidekick in the bunch. Then I have college friends of mine that are amazed I can text so fast. I tell them I have a treo, and they all get annoyed at their number pad and say they need to get something like what I have. Then they comment how big it is. The kids I see also have ipods, zunes and zens. They have way too much music and vids to fit on a mediocre phone. Until they start putting 20 plus gigs in a phone, they'll never fully replace actual media players. And just like us who talk about the wonders of convergence with PDA's and phones and complain about the compromises. Kids do the same thing. They still carry pocketable digital cams, not relying on the cam on their phone. They still rely on DAP's for their music and video. So I can't see your statement as a blanket one for the market.

    And with the new news, you won't be tied to sprint. The gsm version is around the corner.

    And in talking to my business rep, he tells me we're going to be able to get them for $50 after a quick talk to retention.

    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    From what I can see of Palm's "target" market for the Centro, they haven't got a chance. Aside from my own preferences, I have a daughter in high school and a son in college. They laughed at this device. Kids want one of the following:

    1.) High-end flash, music & video. Today, this is the iPhone.
    2.) Heavy duty texting. This means a flip open wide keyboard. Think Sidekick.
    3.) Cheap flashy basic phone. Think pink RAZR.
    4.) Photo and Video junkies. Think 5MP camera phone.

    This isn't any of these. And it's tied (for now) to Sprint. This is better than trying to sell a 755 to teens, but anyone who thinks this is going to flood the market is seriously delusional.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I'm at the movie theater checking email on my 700p, and I see the group of kids next to me texting on blackjacks and q's. Not one sidekick in the bunch. Then I have college friends of mine that are amazed I can text so fast. I tell them I have a treo, and they all get annoyed at their number pad and say they need to get something like what I have. Then they comment how big it is. The kids I see also have ipods, zunes and zens. They have way too much music and vids to fit on a mediocre phone. Until they start putting 20 plus gigs in a phone, they'll never fully replace actual media players. And just like us who talk about the wonders of convergence with PDA's and phones and complain about the compromises. Kids do the same thing. They still carry pocketable digital cams, not relying on the cam on their phone. They still rely on DAP's for their music and video. So I can't see your statement as a blanket one for the market.

    And with the new news, you won't be tied to sprint. The gsm version is around the corner.

    And in talking to my business rep, he tells me we're going to be able to get them for $50 after a quick talk to retention.
    Um, yeah OK. Let me know when you see roving bands of teens with Treos (or Centros). I'd really like to see a picture of it too.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  19. #99  
    i'm surprised that it's as bulky/thick as it appears in the video and how close in size it appears when compared to the Treo.....the user says it feels smaller given its roundness but it really doesn't look all that much smaller.

    so it really is a shaved down version of a 680/750
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  20. #100  
    Not to be rude..but what did you think it was? This isn't a new device, it's basically Treo ME...(remember Windows ME?) No new hardware. Nothing new in software. It's a 755p on that smaller screen which of course is a 700p basically.

    Over a year ago, palm released the 700p. Since then, nothing new. Nothing. Zilch. Except a year or more in which they wouldn't release any updates for the 700p and EOL'ed it when they finally sent one out that bricked a huge number of them. Combine this with the laughable Foleo and Palm hasn't had much to be excited about.

    Now they come out with another repackaged 700p aiming for the young ones according to them. It looks nice..don't get me wrong..and it's got a nice price..but its still the 700p. Still the same syncing mess. Still the age old apps on it. Still doesn't offer ease of use for the masses.

    And still will get EOL'ed before they issue an update. It's main competitor of course is the 755p. At that price, they basically put the 755p out of business. A Centro brand that trumps their main brand.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions