Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50
  1.    #1  
    All of the naysayers will be proved wrong with this device. This is the innovative device that palm needed to deliver. I know it doesn't have any new technology but the technology we Treo veterans take for granted is still cutting edge to the masses. This is a phone kids will be begging their parents for. At $99 bucks the parents won't need a lot of convincing. The fact is that this phone will do everything that my 700w will do but it's thin, slim and super cheap. It does infinitely more than the iPhone will do. Built in IM is a winner and of course the threaded SMS has always been a winner.

    I might get this phone while I wait to see if Palm is going to release a super smartphone with all the fixings. If this had windows mobile 6 pro I would definitely switch now.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo View Post
    ... I know it doesn't have any new technology but the technology we Treo veterans take for granted is still cutting edge to the masses. This is a phone kids will be begging their parents for...
    Just curious, could you please enumerate a few of these technological features that are "still cutting edge to the masses" ? Thanks...

    BTW, this "cheap at $99" phone apparently requires a $25/mo data plan. Just wondering how many parents are willing to pay that much ($40-60/mo) for their kid's phone bill... I guess the same parents that buy their kids iPhones...
  3.    #3  
    Are you serious?

    -Well I have been using my Treo to remote access my home and office computers for the past 4+ years.
    -I also access FTP sites.
    -I just learned you can access Torrents but I haven't tried yet.
    -Creating, editing, and viewing office docs along with pdf files is pretty great.
    -Using your phone as a usb flash drive comes in handy.
    -I just got into viewing full youtube video (my phone is WM5, I don't know if POS can do this but it can and will be created).
    -I can view most websites with my totally inept PIE.
    -Fast push email is by far my favorite feature.
    -Viewing and forwarding/sending faxes.
    -Printing email and docs.
    -More and more phones do IM now but the last time I checked the iPhone doesn't.
    -Google maps and live search are very nifty.
    -Adding a bluetooth GPS gets rid of yet another device you would have to buy. This is a extremely useful, simple, and powerful.
    -Quick weather for different states/cities/countries.
    -Quick world time.
    -Using you phone as a modem for your laptop.
    -Listening to internet radio.
    -Listening to the gigs of music you already own.
    -Watching pre-downloaded movies and tv shows.
    -Watching SprintTv channels (I wouldn't but you can).
    -Watching Slingbox.
    -All of these multimedia options eliminates the need for an iPod.
    -Powerful call filter features.
    -Great calculator apps to get rid of another device to carry.
    -Great games.
    -I recently learned about a couple of free student apps that kids swear by to help keep them on track in school.
    -Push contacts, calendar, and tasks.
    -Threaded SMS.
    -Some people use their Treos to compose quick pieces of music if something comes to them in the spur of the moment.
    -Some use it to program software on the go.
    -Some use it to create/update websites on the go.
    -Network administration on the go.

    I can keep going if you would like me to. There are only a few phones that can do all of this and this will be the smallest one of them all (remember it still has a touchscreen). It will definitely be the cheapest. I don't believe the standard EVDO is $25/month (I believe that includes some TV or something). In any event everyone will negotiate/luck up on different plans. There are bound to be some people swinging some great deals. Plus this phone will be free with a contract in a couple of months.

    So what's your big gripe? No wifi? So what. Palm should skip wifi and race to WiMax. Wifi is far to limited and hardly ever free or cheap.

    Now you tell me what this outdated POS can't do that so many other phones can do.
  4. osolucky's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #4  
    This is my next phone, it will replace my Palm Tc that has kept my business and family life organized for 4yrs, and my Razr. It has everything I need. I must say I think palm is making a big mistake by just marketing just the young crowd. It is a cheap option for those waiting for the Palm evolution.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo View Post
    I might get this phone while I wait to see if Palm is going to release a super smartphone with all the fixings. If this had windows mobile 6 pro I would definitely switch now.
    Totally agree. This was cheaper than my son's mini Razr. Plus I may go ahead and get one since the form factor, won't be a change, and it is so cheap that you really don't have anything to lose. Palm figured out a way to get some more money out of my pocket with a Garnett based device!
  6. #6  
    BigTreo - sure, we've been able to do all that with our Treos over the last few years. The point is, those aren't "cutting edge" anymore since the Treo isn't the only device that supports those features. Although the UI is good, POS is a trailing edge OS at best without pre-emptive multitasking support.

    Plus, to do all that, people will have to shell out roughly $500 in 3rd party apps and $50/month for all the services you mentioned (at least on POS). That won't make it a $99 phone.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  7. #7  
    You don't seem to understand. The masses still don't know this. This is why the iphone "wowed" them.

    As a veteran Treo user, you can't see this..
  8. #8  
    I cut myself on the T650 and t700p. Make it stop bleeding...please make it go away.

    ....think of a happy place....
  9. #9  
    Good points BigTreo. Try to find a device that has all the capabilities of the Palm Treo. You can't. It doesn't exist when you factor in all the available software.

    So what if the UI is old. It does the job. No multi-tasking? Doesn't bother me or many other people. No wi-fi? With EVDO I don't miss it.

    Sure they need to release an innovative update. Hopefully they will soon. Until then, I love my Treo.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo View Post
    Are you serious?
    So what's your big gripe?
    Whatever big gripe I might have isn't what my posting or this thread is about. Yes, I was serious -- it was an honest inquiry as to what you thought was "cutting edge" that the masses weren't yet able to do but would actually want to do. I already knew that nearly everything you might mention was already doable in the $100-200 range for the past 2 years by the various WM/Std QWERTY phones (Q/Dash/Blackjack), as indeed is the case, but nevertheless there are some issues of merit.

    Lumping what you've listed into 3 categories: 1) Yes I agree this is something new to the masses that cannot be done by a mid-level "masses phone", 2) No, this is something that a common mid-level phone can already do, 3) Maybe yes or no, but the masses wouldn't care anyways. So I'm most interested in category 1, real new capabilities brought to the masses that they would care about (sorry the masses won't be interested in remote network admin). Here is my pared down list:

    -I just got into viewing full youtube video (my phone is WM5, I don't know if POS can do this but it can and will be created).
    -Creating, editing, and viewing office docs along with pdf files is pretty great.
    -Fast push email is by far my favorite feature.
    -Push contacts, calendar, and tasks.
    -Threaded SMS.

    All of the above can of course be also done by a $100 WM/Std phone (and has been for the past 2 years). All the rest, I would contend, can be done with a decent mid-level phone like an LG Muziq or RAZR2, or else the masses won't care about (like FTP or building websites).

    That the Centro has a touchscreen is certainly a plus in my book, and, for the purposes of this list, probably mostly contributes the ability to do cut/paste, something that is notoriously difficult with a typical WM/Std phone.

    So I guess the big question is whether the Centro bring enough to the table, that when compared to either alternate $100 QWERTY smartphones, or $100 mid-level multimedia phones like the Muziq, the Centro will do well... I dunno... we'll see I guess, but I don't really think it is a slam-dunk.
  11. omnigo's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #11  
    I like to think of this as a Treo for the price of an old Palm PDA. Perfect for students or grandparents. I think it will be very successful.
    Omnigo 100 -> Palm III -> Cassiopeia -> Visor -> Jornada -> Palm m100 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Moto Q -> Treo 650 - > BB Curve
  12. #12  
    powerful...if palm and sprint had pushed this back in August as a back2school item with some student-oriented third party apps bundled, this would have been the homerun they needed.

    Look at what student-driven marketing has done for things like MP3 players and laptops.

    Now, Sprint can recoup and market it heavy during the holidays like they did the RZR (and it's look-alikes) last year.

    bigtreo makes some interesting points, my fave is the one about the masses...I'm still wowing folks with the things my treo 755p can do.
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
  13. #13  
    I believe this will be a very successful phone, as long as it doesn't drop the network every hour.
    Matty
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Whatever big gripe I might have isn't what my posting or this thread is about. Yes, I was serious -- it was an honest inquiry as to what you thought was "cutting edge" that the masses weren't yet able to do but would actually want to do. I already knew that nearly everything you might mention was already doable in the $100-200 range for the past 2 years by the various WM/Std QWERTY phones (Q/Dash/Blackjack), as indeed is the case, but nevertheless there are some issues of merit.

    Lumping what you've listed into 3 categories: 1) Yes I agree this is something new to the masses that cannot be done by a mid-level "masses phone", 2) No, this is something that a common mid-level phone can already do, 3) Maybe yes or no, but the masses wouldn't care anyways. So I'm most interested in category 1, real new capabilities brought to the masses that they would care about (sorry the masses won't be interested in remote network admin). Here is my pared down list:

    -I just got into viewing full youtube video (my phone is WM5, I don't know if POS can do this but it can and will be created).
    -Creating, editing, and viewing office docs along with pdf files is pretty great.
    -Fast push email is by far my favorite feature.
    -Push contacts, calendar, and tasks.
    -Threaded SMS.

    All of the above can of course be also done by a $100 WM/Std phone (and has been for the past 2 years). All the rest, I would contend, can be done with a decent mid-level phone like an LG Muziq or RAZR2, or else the masses won't care about (like FTP or building websites).

    That the Centro has a touchscreen is certainly a plus in my book, and, for the purposes of this list, probably mostly contributes the ability to do cut/paste, something that is notoriously difficult with a typical WM/Std phone.

    So I guess the big question is whether the Centro bring enough to the table, that when compared to either alternate $100 QWERTY smartphones, or $100 mid-level multimedia phones like the Muziq, the Centro will do well... I dunno... we'll see I guess, but I don't really think it is a slam-dunk.
    I agree with your "paired down" list but I would add a few others as well:

    -Adding a bluetooth GPS gets rid of yet another device you would have to buy. This is a extremely useful, simple, and powerful.
    -Using you phone as a modem for your laptop.
    -Listening to internet radio.
    -Powerful call filter features.
    -Great calculator apps to get rid of another device to carry.
    -Great games.
    -I recently learned about a couple of free student apps that kids swear by to help keep them on track in school.

    I feel especially strong about the GPS because since I started using that it's the 3rd biggest use for my phone now (1-calls, 2-push email, 3-GPS) and it works extremely well. Of course I am a loan officer/RE Agent in So Cal so I am always driving to a new place.

    I agree that there are smartphones like the Q/Dash/Blackjack that can do these things. I actually would probably own one of these if they came with a touchscreen. Palm has made it very clear that the current smartphone market is not their aim. Their are aiming at the much larger featurephone market. Just the fact that us current Smartphoners are even considering it and that it has the form-factor of a featurephone makes it a competitor in that space.

    To me taking aim at the featurephone market is a great move. They tried with the 680 but only had limited success because it was still a little to big. The Q/Dash/Blackjack are thin but too wide for a lot of featurephoners to consider.

    I haven't held one of these yet but that form factor seems to be a winner with a full Qwerty keyboard and a touchscreen.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    I believe this will be a very successful phone, as long as it doesn't drop the network every hour.
    LOL
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    BigTreo - sure, we've been able to do all that with our Treos over the last few years. The point is, those aren't "cutting edge" anymore since the Treo isn't the only device that supports those features. Although the UI is good, POS is a trailing edge OS at best without pre-emptive multitasking support.

    Plus, to do all that, people will have to shell out roughly $500 in 3rd party apps and $50/month for all the services you mentioned (at least on POS). That won't make it a $99 phone.
    Cardfan is right. You are looking at this from a current Smartphoner point of view. Step back and look at this device from the standpoint of before you owned a smartphone at all. You have to remember the current smartphone market share is still very small compared to the featurephone market. Palm is not trying to impress YOU with this device.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nitido357 View Post
    powerful...if palm and sprint had pushed this back in August as a back2school item with some student-oriented third party apps bundled, this would have been the homerun they needed.

    Look at what student-driven marketing has done for things like MP3 players and laptops.

    Now, Sprint can recoup and market it heavy during the holidays like they did the RZR (and it's look-alikes) last year.

    bigtreo makes some interesting points, my fave is the one about the masses...I'm still wowing folks with the things my treo 755p can do.

    I agree 100%. A great ad campaign at this critical time would work wonders. What I actually do have doubts about is Palms ability to deliver great ads. I honestly believe this is their biggest "problem" to date. They don't brag well at all. Sprint has some winning ads sometimes though (my favorite was "theft deterrent"). Maybe they can work with Sprint to add an edge to their ads. Maybe something like email dodge ball with a group of Centro users vs. a group of iPhone users. Have them line up facing each other, send the same email, and then throw their phones and knock their opposition down once they are finished (similar to the theft deterrent ad). Follow this with a clever quip. If there are any ad agencies that would like to hire me just PM me.
    Last edited by BigTreo; 10/21/2007 at 11:20 AM.
  18. #18  
    Sorry guys, the Palm OS is old.....It looks old, feels old, acts old. Period. The Centro is obviously not a device that people will be lining up to get.

    More of the same. Palm needs desperately to dump the Palm OS ASAP. I don't care what you can do with a Centro. As mentioned above, you can do all that listed above and more with low-cost WM devices. As matter of fact, Samsung Blackjacks were being sold for 99 bucks and even being given away free.

    Some talk about appealing to the "younger" crowd with this device. I say this is bunk. Much of what appeals to that particular demographic is how "cool" the device is. The Palm-OS is the "green screen" (for those of you in IT, know what I am talking about), equivalent of mobile devices. It doesn't matter about running Sling, email, internet, etc which can be done with a multitude of other devices.


    The Centro is a joke and is just another mediocre release of a platform that is severely in need of a refresh.

    They don't brag well at all.
    That's because they don't have anything to brag about....at least not anymore. The Treo line was once a state-of-art, sleek form factor. It has been surpassed in every way, shape and form by many other offerings.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  19. #19  
    Not to nitpick your list again, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo View Post
    -Using you phone as a modem for your laptop.
    People including myself have been doing PAM using generic cellphones since before 2G (8 years ago). Almost *any* phone can support PAM these days. In fact, if that were someone's main interest, the phones of choice now for Sprint are the Samsungs, like the Blade A900 or A920, because you can disable the NAI to avoid the PAM charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo View Post
    -Listening to internet radio.
    Again, completely doable with a variety of "featurephones", like the Muziq, RAZR2, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo View Post
    -Great calculator apps to get rid of another device to carry.
    Seriously, who carries around a calculator these days? not the "masses"...Anyways, I'm surprised that AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $isn$'$t$ $some$ $free$ $Java$ $app$ $for$ $a$ $good$ $full$-$featured$ $calculator$, $runnable$ $on$ $nearly$ $any$ $phone$. $If$ $there$ $isn$'$t$, $I$ $would$ $say$ $its$ $because$ $few$ $people$ $want$ $it$. &$quot$;$Young$ $people$&$quot$; $and$ $the$ $masses$ $are$ $so$ $math$-$challenged$ $these$ $days$ $that$ $they$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $a$ $radian$ $from$ $a$ $radio$. $They$ $can$'$t$ $even$ $compute$ $restaurant$ $tips$ $using$ $the$ $calculator$ $that$ *$any$* $phone$ $already$ $has$ $builtin$ -- $they$ $need$ $to$ $have$ $special$ &$quot$;$tip$ $calculators$&$quot$;... $sheesh$...
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo View Post
    -Great games.
    Debatable.... certainly its cool to run old Nintendo games, but games are everywhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo View Post
    Palm has made it very clear that the current smartphone market is not their aim. Their are aiming at the much larger featurephone market.
    Except of course the new Treo 500v...

    But yeah, I think it is a good idea for Palm to try to attack the featurephone market. But see the grading thread as to why some of us think the Centro won't cut it -- mainly, compared with a RAZR, the Centro isn't something that the masses will want to carry around... my opinion of course...
  20. #20  
    I'm afraid I have to agree with neurocutie.

    This "new" device doesn't do anything different than my 650, other than have a fast network with sprint - at least in terms of what I'm looking for. Same device, same marketing launch by mktg dept at Palm Inc, different shell/wrapper for a case (which by the way I think looks cool - but haven't seen anyone do the correlation of size to button-punching efficiency - that being said, my larger 650 has the keys crammed too close).

    And for those that are saying "Yeah, but others don't know that all these new features exist on previous Treo models." The average 11-year-old has better intuition. They know devices, they know what's up, and how to get things working. All my coworkers have their non-palm devices and they've managed to get them to do all the things I've seen referenced above. Yes, the $99 offer will win buys - it's a good segment for getting some non-smart (phone ) people to jump into the smart phone space, but...

    I love my Treo, but I'm frustrated by the lack of attention to fixing some fundamental things that drive me nuts. And if these are already fixed, please forgive me, but I see no attention to these details in the reviews, the marketing, or the masses.

    I want a built-in calendar app that has basic functionality similar to the email app (Versamail) such as being able to click on the phone numbers & dial. Crap, you can't even COPY/PASTE the number given you click on the location field and it disappears and cuts off the field (UI problem, because the data is there). That's the primary reason I bought a smart phone. I got tired of dumb-phones cutting off the meeting invite details. I got what I thought I wanted, but it's become an annoyance that I have to grab a pencil and paper to write down a 10-digit (more if it's an international call) with a 10-digit callid to dial into a conference ID. That's really fun when driving too. Save me the details of 2day and other apps (which I'd be willing to invest in if I actually found one I like) because this should be fundamental to the masses that aspire to "cutting edge".

    Luckily I can get my mail through IMAP now that my fortune 10 employer decided to leave open IMAP for the meantime. But before that, the sync thing - ACK! Okay, it's better than ActiveSync, but the crashes, having to delete files with a non-native (but free) app, and the fact that the versa mail tries to send messages when you store them in the outbox despite delivery/cfg settings. So, that's unusable.

    Nice calc, but no instructions. I could go on, but you get my point. When I go to buy my next device, it won't be limited to a Treo. If I don't find anything else I like better, than I'll be back. Otherwise I'm going shopping elsewhere.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions