Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Sounds like Palm has blown it again using the same aging, buggy OS. The processor was fast for 2004. 2007, not so much. The price is right though. I wonder if it will have the random resets that have plagued the 680-755P models? Not missing my 700p at all since I switched to an iPhone. I still use it for games and Palm apps, but the phone is inactive and it still resets itself all the time. POS=POS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    oalvarez, engadget's posting of this release has those shots.
    the pictures shown in this thread did not. those are the ones i was referring to. it's quite clear i think.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    funny that they omitted the Blackberry Pearl and Curve from the comparison

and no comparative side shots
    You find it suspicious that he wasn't also carrying a Pearl and a Curve with him?
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    funny that they omitted the Blackberry Pearl and Curve from the comparison

and no comparative side shots
    This is the Centro compared to those as far as dimensions...not any huge differences.

LINK

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...77/centro1.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...77/centro3.jpg

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Looks like we're going to find out what those 4 cute guys are doing here.

So I started reading the review and came across this statement in the first part of the description of the "scene". I immediately thought that Jennifer C. must be reviewing the CENTRO. I actually scrolled up to confirm my thoughts. Then I see that Dieter was writing the article. Now I have to wonder why Dieter would go down this path..................

I actually really look forward to the Centro. I think my wife will love it to replace her 650 if it ever comes to Verizon.

FWIW, Thanks for the great update to the conference.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by robguz View Post
    Sounds like Palm has blown it again using the same aging, buggy OS. The processor was fast for 2004. 2007, not so much. The price is right though. I wonder if it will have the random resets that have plagued the 680-755P models? Not missing my 700p at all since I switched to an iPhone. I still use it for games and Palm apps, but the phone is inactive and it still resets itself all the time. POS=POS!
    Were did you see the specs on the processor and all the other internals? I was curoius about this, but haven't been able to find anything.
    ill stick to my 755...

nothing new here.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I like the photos of the phones side by side.

I would love to see a 680 or 755p side by side with a centrro. Any one going to the javits center this weekend?
    Last edited by LennyV; 09/28/2007 at 09:27 PM.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    I think the Centro is a smart move for Palm. However, I will say that if they really want to market to the target market they're looking for, they had better put a significant marketing effort behind it. You can have a great product, with more features, etc, but without proper marketing, you won't grab the crowd. They need to have some "cool" commercials with young people doing the threaded text messages and some other "cool" features that only Palm can do and then show the phone colors. You have to remember that they're competing against sidekicks, which now has a lower price offering device in addition to its higher end device, as well as the iPhone, which is more expensive, but doesn't have all the bells and whistles.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    I will keep my 700p. I want Palms Primo device when and if it ever comes to life.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    Does the new Centro offer any software improvement on its Palm OS or built-in application?

1) Does it have mp3 ringtone?

2) Does it still have a maximum limit of 15 categories for contacts, calendards..etc?

3) Does its SSL library provide background operation?
    Quote Originally Posted by robguz View Post
    I've been using a 680 for 2 years now and have not had the resets you talk about. I think your resets are actually caused by one or more of the buggy games and palm apps you installed.
    Hummm...look pretty good to me, and provides all the stuff I use on my 700p in a smaller form factor. I'm not a power user. I use my 700p for phone, text, gps navigation, callendar and music...that's about it. And I agree with the others...no problems with random resets...well only a couple of times in the 6 months I've had it. I'd love to see this in person.

Humm...I have a brand new in the box, never activated T700p...wonder if anyone would want to trade their new in the box Centro for it? Then I'd have the best of both worlds...my older used 700p and a new Centro...
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    So a smaller 755p, for only $99? I see no reason to be disappointed. Why would I buy a big old ugly 755p?
    Quote Originally Posted by thornrag View Post
    So a smaller 755p, for only $99? I see no reason to be disappointed. Why would I buy a big old ugly 755p?
    Larger keyboard, makes a nice budge in my pocket, kill small rodents, larger screen, make up for a small.... stylus...
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Here are a few more photos from DigitalLife, notably a Centro thrown in with a bunch of other phones in the Popular Mechanics display area that gave a good impression of its comparative size.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nice pics!

I didnt realize Centro was smaller than the iPhone

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Nice pics!

I didnt realize Centro was smaller than the iPhone

Thanks!
    did you also notice how much thicker it was than many of the rest?
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    I will keep my 700p. I want Palms Primo device when and if it ever comes to life.
    I figure that the Linux Treo is at least a year off. How long have we all been waiting for that to materialize so far. Plus I would bet that the first gen is going to buggy as hell. I have a 650 that is getting old, but didn't want a 700p or 755p because it is the same form factor, but the Centro has convinced me to upgrade while waiting for the next big thing. I have been using my 650 for some time now, wanted a smaller phone without losing the functionallity of the Treo. Hopefully the Centro shows us where Palm is taking the form factor to, and hopefully they will have a better OS in the near future. Of course I could get the phone and hate the form factor too, guess we will just have to see how it is.
    I think I'm going to have a look at the Centro. I'm not a power user. Just a heavy PDA user. Have used the BB 8830 for a few weeks and like it, but it's a bit weak on the PDA side of things. Other than that, it's been nice for the other things. I think the Centro could do just fine till the Linux Treo comes out. You'd think the 3rd time would be the charm with the same hardware. It shares the same hardware and internals as the 700 and 755 with 2/10ths of an inch smaller screen and only 64mb of internal memory. With most of the critical stuff being stored on a card anyway, I'm good to go with a 2gb mSD card. I really started to like the size of the 8830 (the Curve is even better), so I can't imagine using my 700 again. Would be nice to compare the Curve and the Centro, but with no Curve on Sprint it doesn't really matter. I'll lose the gps, but that was fluff anyway. GoogleMaps can at least give me the info. Will just have to see how well it types.

And if they can make the Centro that small, why can't they make a freakin' flip phone already. At this point, it should be a no brainer. Plus they'd be the only real pda flip on the market (qwerty keyboard and all...).
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast