Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 72
  1.    #1  
    From the Product Manager of GMM 5.0:

    "Release of GMM 5.0 is imminent. Final carrier certifications are underway and expected to be complete in the next two weeks. Formal communications on the release of GMM 5.0 will be available as soon as carrier acceptance completes"

    Unfortunately, that is all the information I can provide. The release candidate of GMM is solid and I have been running it for about a week now on both a 700P and 700WX and have seen no issues.
  2. #2  
    GG, not trying to be cute but does this mean it won't be released tomorrow on the 9/28 target date. I assume this means that it will be released sometime in the next two weeks but I won't see it tomorrow?

    Thanks
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    "Release of GMM 5.0 is imminent. Final carrier certifications are underway and expected to be complete in the next two weeks. Formal communications on the release of GMM 5.0 will be available as soon as carrier acceptance completes"
    Unfortunately, that is all the information I can provide. The release candidate of GMM is solid and I have been running it for about a week now on both a 700P and 700WX and have seen no issues.
    I don't feel so bad that my 750 is crippled because GoodGuy's is "solid". And that helps me sleep better at night.

    Imminent is a relative term. Two weeks to me is not imminent. Ugh! For once I wish I wasn't right about Good. What else can you say?
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
  4.    #4  
    Chances are you will not see it tomorrow.

    As for your remark, Conekkted, you complain with no info, you complain with info, so I would expect nothing less.

    Waiting with baited breath for you next witty, pithy remark.
  5. #5  
    Well, earlier my Good/Motoroal rep said this week too... but oh wells. One week is not really going to hurt us.

    I got a blurb from my sprint rep stating that its going to be released next week.

    So it might not be too far off.
  6. #6  
    will our server need to have 5.0 installed as well for the imminent update to work? thx
  7.    #7  
    Darth, that is what I am hearing as well, but can't confirm.

    Winter, 5.0 is a server and a client upgrade. For the devices that won't support 5.0, i.e., the 650, you can upgrade the server and still run the older client on those devices, they just won't have the new features.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    Darth, that is what I am hearing as well, but can't confirm.

    Winter, 5.0 is a server and a client upgrade. For the devices that won't support 5.0, i.e., the 650, you can upgrade the server and still run the older client on those devices, they just won't have the new features.
    Is the server upgrade easy to do? Just curious how long it will take my IT department to get around to it. I assume they will need to take the server down to do it which means they will probably want to do it when use is light like over a weekend or at night. Does that seem loogical? Also, I assume they won't push out the upgrade to me until they have 5.0 on their side so I could be in for a decent wait.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  9. #9  
    Now dsol.... yours is a loaded question

    To be honest, I've done server upgrades mid-day and its that easy. Most users won't even know that we've upgraded.

    I am currently getting ready to start supporting blackberries and though they are more established, managing a BES server looks alot more complicated.

    Now... as I manage IT group, i know that testing has to be done and introducing new software might depend upon a multitude of factors (compliance, existing processes). This all can affect the deployment of any said product, regardless of how "simple" the actual process is.

    My upgrade process is usually

    1) upgrade server (takes 5 minutes)
    2) create new group with the newer version. Migrate some users to it.
    3) document and standardize new process.

    For users running GMD, it will be a little more complicated. I think for our users, i may require a complete wipe before upgrading to 5.0. That tends to limit the amount of issues in an upgrade.

    Just be patient and work with your IT group. Even with the launch of next week, it may be days, weeks, months, before 5.0 is rolled out.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    Chances are you will not see it tomorrow.
    As for your remark, Conekkted, you complain with no info, you complain with info, so I would expect nothing less.
    Are you saying that users have no reason to complain? Even if I didn't know the slightest thing about GMM, WM or my device, I would still know that for months now I have functionality that is either limited or broken because of GMM. And the fact that I had to wait even a week for you guys to fix it is unacceptable. But instead of fixing these things you guys said wait for 5.0. So I ask you, should a user who has to wait months for fixes to his device have the right to complain...regardless of what info they have? A simple Yes or No will suffice...I don't need all the extra "info".
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthkim View Post
    Now dsol.... yours is a loaded question

    To be honest, I've done server upgrades mid-day and its that easy. Most users won't even know that we've upgraded.

    I am currently getting ready to start supporting blackberries and though they are more established, managing a BES server looks alot more complicated.

    Now... as I manage IT group, i know that testing has to be done and introducing new software might depend upon a multitude of factors (compliance, existing processes). This all can affect the deployment of any said product, regardless of how "simple" the actual process is.

    My upgrade process is usually

    1) upgrade server (takes 5 minutes)
    2) create new group with the newer version. Migrate some users to it.
    3) document and standardize new process.

    For users running GMD, it will be a little more complicated. I think for our users, i may require a complete wipe before upgrading to 5.0. That tends to limit the amount of issues in an upgrade.

    Just be patient and work with your IT group. Even with the launch of next week, it may be days, weeks, months, before 5.0 is rolled out.
    Thanks Darthkim
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthkim View Post
    I am currently getting ready to start supporting blackberries and though they are more established, managing a BES server looks alot more complicated.
    I really feel for you

    BES is stupid to manage and support even tho the user devices are solid as a rock.
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul


    Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post
    Are you saying that users have no reason to complain? Even if I didn't know the slightest thing about GMM, WM or my device, I would still know that for months now I have functionality that is either limited or broken because of GMM. And the fact that I had to wait even a week for you guys to fix it is unacceptable. But instead of fixing these things you guys said wait for 5.0. So I ask you, should a user who has to wait months for fixes to his device have the right to complain...regardless of what info they have? A simple Yes or No will suffice...I don't need all the extra "info".
    When you ask a simple question without the editorial, I will provide you with a simple answer. Sure, you have the right to complain, however, I refer back to my post where you were offered to have input on the product by being on the beta program. You, one of the biggest, loudest critics here, had a chance to have DIRECT input. You could have had the product months ago and had the fixes and functionality you want, but instead, you prefer to stay on your pedestal of all that is bad with Good.
  14. #14  
    Actually, it would probably be best if he stopped *****ing all the time and took a few moments to browse to site other than this one.

    http://customerportal.good.com/techSupport.php?id=70
    http://customerportal.good.com/techSupport.php?id=71

    If he does so, he might just be a little surprised. And now that he has access to the code on the 28th, do you think he'll have it in production by Monday AM?
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
  15. #15  
    For some reason the GMM 5.0 download for an SD card says it is for WM5, does that mean they are releasing it only for WM5 and still are saying they aren't compatible with WM6 or would one think this is an oversight?
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  16.    #16  
    My guess is an oversight, but will check on Monday.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    For some reason the GMM 5.0 download for an SD card says it is for WM5, does that mean they are releasing it only for WM5 and still are saying they aren't compatible with WM6 or would one think this is an oversight?
    Hi Dsol,

    Just one more thing... I do not know what will happen if the client upgrades to GMM 5.0 without the server having been upgraded...

    FYI. Hope it works out.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthkim View Post
    Hi Dsol,

    Just one more thing... I do not know what will happen if the client upgrades to GMM 5.0 without the server having been upgraded...

    FYI. Hope it works out.
    Darthkim,

    That is exactly what I was thinking. I am so tempted to download the 5.0 client to an SD card and just install it and see what happens.

    What do you think? Should I try it? I figure the worst thing that can happen is it won't work and I can just uninstall it and go back to 4.9.

    GG, since this is technically a 5.0 and WM6 can you weigh in on this question? I assume GMM's formal position is that the server needs the upgrade first but just curious..
    Last edited by Dsol; 09/30/2007 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Another thought--
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  19. #19  
    My opinion? I wouldn't recommend it.

    But give it a shot and see what happens...

    My guess is that a department at motorola jumped the gun in posting the update...

    Because the GMM portal hasn't been upgraded AND the WM6 devices did not post on yet..

    But checking the supported device page.. i see they updates a couple devices. Very very interesting....

    This week should be quite a week.
  20.    #20  
    I would not try to install the client as my guess is won't work since it will look to your server and the server will not be configured to support the new version of the client.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions