Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    There seems to be an architectural change in the Centro. From the device comparison page:
    In the Memory/Storage row:
    Treo 755p: 128MB (60MB user accessible)
    Centro: 64MB (64MB user accessible)

    What gives? Did NVFS disappear, or is something else going on?

    Update 10/06/07: Looks like it might have the same memory footprint as the 755p afterall.
    Last edited by Conrad; 10/05/2007 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Linked to post with updated information
  2. daver42's Avatar
    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    #2  
    If NVFS is gone, I wonder if that means no more lag.
  3. #3  
    If NVFS is gone, there better be some other way for the Centro to keep its memory contents when the battery dies...
  4. #4  
    Naw. I doubt that means anything. Centro obviously has a ROM. They probably just didn’t wanna bother those dumb combed Mohawk wearing queers from the press conference with tech details they need not worry their adolescent minds with. They are too busy being hip and cool to understand phone memory, but palm is sure they have an ipod, so they must have learned a lil about sorage space when they ran out of room for fall out boy. "you have 64mb for one and a half fall out boy cds"
  5. #5  
    It means it is the same as the 650/680. If you check out the compare you will see the similarities.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  6. #6  
    I'm not sure I follow since the 650 never had that much "user accessible" memory. Rather, I think they just left off the "total memory" figure to avoid questions about the difference. Maybe that's what you meant.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  7. ~Q~
    ~Q~ is offline
    ~Q~'s Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Naw. I doubt that means anything. Centro obviously has a ROM. They probably just didn’t wanna bother those dumb combed Mohawk wearing queers from the press conference with tech details they need not worry their adolescent minds with.
    Classy statement.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

    The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  8. #8  
    It has the same as the 755p... they are just stating the available memory because most people don't care if it has 128 if only 60 is available. They also probably just rounded from 60 up to 64 (who is really going to check) or free'd up about 4 Megs of storage by getting rid of some BS in the ROM.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    It has the same as the 755p... they are just stating the available memory because most people don't care if it has 128 if only 60 is available. They also probably just rounded from 60 up to 64 (who is really going to check) or free'd up about 4 Megs of storage by getting rid of some BS in the ROM.

    Why do you think that it has the same amount of RAM as the 755p? All the specs seem to indicate that the Treo has half as much, the same as a Treo 650.

    I hope that you're right, but we'll have to wait for TreoCentral or someone else to show us the "Info" screen.
  10.    #10  
    I'm really hoping that the underlying architecture has changed back to the way it was pre-Treo 650. Most other smartphones just rely on a small backup battery to enable swapping main batteries - NVFS always seemed like an overly complicated solution. If the Centro has switched to a backup battery, and eliminated NVFS, then that might return greater stability to the device. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    ...I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
    That's alright; just don't hold your breath.

    NVFS is here to stay.
    V > Vx > m505 > m515 > T/T > T3 > TC > 650 > 680
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://download.skype.com/share/skypebuttons/js/skypeCheck.js"></script>
    <a href="skype:wwgamble?call"><img src="http://mystatus.skype.com/balloon/wwgamble" style="border: none;" width="150" height="60" alt="My Skype status" /></a>
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    Why do you think that it has the same amount of RAM as the 755p? All the specs seem to indicate that the Treo has half as much, the same as a Treo 650.

    I hope that you're right, but we'll have to wait for TreoCentral or someone else to show us the "Info" screen.
    No, the key is phrase is "user accessible". The Centro is said to have 64MB of user accessible memory (and probably 128MB total). The 650 had 32MB of memory total of which only 23MB was user accessible.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)

Posting Permissions