Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Other than a slightly better form factor, the Centro is nothing more than a 755P. From the POS version, to the versions of the apps running on this unit, and even down to the camera; there's nothing new here.

This begs a couple questions be answered:

1. Why is Sprint offering basically the same device in two different form factors?

2. Who in their right mind would pay $200 (or more) for a 755P, when they can get a Centro for $99.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    The only thing I can think of is this:

Palm has devices on roadmaps for 12-18 months (which is why we won't see any major changes in their plans for probably a year).

I'm thinking whoever they make deals with for ODMs changed between the 7xx series and the 500/Centro, allowing them lower price points. They did say that the Centro was built to be $99.

We know Asus makes the 500, but who makes the Centro?

That's all I can think of...as to why Sprint would sell both at such different price points, beats me.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Forget the facelift, I want the guys from Nip/Tuck to give the 755p some liposuction to reduce its girth... put the 755p on a diet and lose 30%. Then I'm interested... I'm not really happy that they reduced the screen size and keyboard size on the Centro. They need instead to just slice off the 755p's fat underbelly...

The 500v is at least competition for the Q/Dash/Blackjack... this Centro is, what ? (as you point out) competition for Palm's own 755p...

I guess the price is right, though... that's the one thing going for it, although Blackjacks are now going for $0.
    My wife and I just upgraded to the 755p from the 650. Very happy with the 755p, but my wife will kill me when she sees the Centro. Personally, I prefer a bigger phone anyway, and the extra-capacity battery/bigger screen/bigger keyboard are worth the extra $100 to me. As for the wife, she wants a smaller smartphone simply because it fits in her bags/purses better....women

Oh, the rubberized finish on the 755p is very nice too.
    I read that the Centro is being built by Inventec. They're the same ones that did the 700p I believe...
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    The 500v is at least competition for the Q/Dash/Blackjack... this Centro is, what ? (as you point out) competition for Palm's own 755p...
    At least according to Coligan, Centro is competition for the Razr type devices e.g. feature phones.

I guess the confusion stems from this: they are releasing their "low end" line before their new "high end" line, so we have this discrepancy: low end = high end, but cheaper and smaller.

I suppose once their high-ends come out, the Centro will look more the part of "low end".

Of course, the million dollar question: where's the high end? In the next few months, no issue; 1 year from now?

Actually I think there will be slight revision of the 755p, which will use the innards of the Centro for the new version of 755p. Standarizing the parts can save money.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doen't the Centro lack a touchscreen?

That alone is worth the extra $100 IMO.

I otherwise agree that it is not waht Palm needs to be rekeasing now. Where's the 800p with Linux OS anf Wifi, Oh yeah that at LEAST a year away...Boo!!!
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    It has touch screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doen't the Centro lack a touchscreen?
    No, it's touchscreen. Which makes it a 1st for a $99 phone, I believe.

11. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Actually I think there will be slight revision of the 755p, which will use the innards of the Centro for the new version of 755p. Standarizing the parts can save money.
    Given the limited information we've gotten so far, it doesn't appears as much has changed in terms of innards between the 755P and the Centro.

They could have at least put a 2 megapixel camera in it for Pete's Sake.

Perhaps they are saving money by using 755P parts, which are already in production.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Who in their right mind would pay $200 (or more) for a 755P, when they can get a Centro for $99.
    The same people who paid $599 for an iPhone, when they can now get an iPhone for $399?
    1. Why is Sprint offering basically the same device in two different form factors?
    I can surely see why they offer it in two different form factors. My wife would've upgraded from her 600 to this in a minute. She chose the Katano and really misses the contact info she had on the Treo, but couldn't take the size anymore.

2. Who in their right mind would pay $200 (or more) for a 755P, when they can get a Centro for $99.
    Nobody that I know of. I know I would've gotten it. As it is, I got mine for $299 less $100 rebate, $50 credit for a coupon and sold my 650 for $150, so I could've made a $100, but I'm okay with it.

My granddaughter, however, is going to be real pissed at herself that she just paid $99 for a Razr, when two months later she could've gotten this and been a real hit at her school. That's the market they are looking for, and I believe, they will get if marketed correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    The same people who paid $599 for an iPhone, when they can now get an iPhone for $399?
    Absolutely correct. That's why we all bought the 755 in the first place.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Given the limited information we've gotten so far, it doesn't appears as much has changed in terms of innards between the 755P and the Centro.

They could have at least put a 2 megapixel camera in it for Pete's Sake.

Perhaps they are saving money by using 755P parts, which are already in production.
    They said last year that they were developing a new hardware platform with integrated components on which all new phones would be based. Colligan mentioned the new platform during the press conference today. The innards are new. That's what allows them to make the device smaller and cheaper.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I am liking on the size. I like the idea of having all the power of a 755p in a smaller package!

The crazy thing is this phone will be free in a few months with new activation.

I think palm nailed it with this product.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Have fun with those keys crammed together like they appear to be. Typing is going to be near impossible for anyone but children.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Have fun with those keys crammed together like they appear to be. Typing is going to be near impossible for anyone but children.
    Don't knock it till you try it...

Dieter seems to be okay with it:

The keyboard - it's remarkably easy to type on. I'm really shocked. I tried typing with the "flats" of my thumbs instead of my standard "tips" and had only a couple of errors. Granted, I'm an old thumb-board pro, but I really do think Palm nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Don't knock it till you try it...

Dieter seems to be okay with it:
    ...more on that in just a minute.
    some of you are missing the point which is that some consumers (perhaps a great many) prefer a less bulky and bricklike device. having said that, i'm not sure about the thickness and how it might detract from its pocketability (comparatively speaking).

i think it has merit although the POS (and lack of memory?) kills it for me.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  20. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    ...more on that in just a minute.
    Septimus,

I am curious why you don't think the Centro is a good choice for a Treo user. Given the choice between a 755P and a Centro, do you feel that the 755P is the better device for the vetrian treo user?

The Truth About MonaVie:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast