Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    For a low-end phone I can understand the lack of memory. But I have my doubts about the keyboard, Dieter's review not withstanding. I'd have to play with it to be sure though. It is a little brick-like, but if kids are carrying around SideKicks.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Septimus,

I am curious why you don't think the Centro is a good choice for a Treo user. Given the choice between a 755P and a Centro, do you feel that the 755P is the better device for the vetrian treo user?
    I"m curious too? I have a 755 and would rather have it smaller I think. The only thing is the battery and I can keep an extra near by.
    ah crud.....1130 mah? just learned of this.....so much for that idea.

can you say 680?
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  4. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    For a low-end phone I can understand the lack of memory. But I have my doubts about the keyboard, Dieter's review not withstanding. I'd have to play with it to be sure though. It is a little brick-like, but if kids are carrying around SideKicks.....
    Dieter seemed to be ripping it up pretty good on the keyboard -- that guy can type faster than my teenage daughters. I'd guess that the keyboard isn't too bad.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    "What gives?"

Your pocketbook
  6. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    "What gives?"

Your pocketbook
    Which was exactly the point I was trying to make with my question. Why would someone shell out $200 for a 755P when a Centro will be sitting right next to it for $99. Doesn't make much sense.

Most people walking into a Sprint store looking for a new phone is going to go for the Centro, no question about it. Someone from TC may opt for a 755P, but we are in a small minority with respect to the cell phone user base. Those 755Ps back in the store room are going to gather alot of dust in the near future.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Other than a slightly better form factor, the Centro is nothing more than a 755P. From the POS version, to the versions of the apps running on this unit, and even down to the camera; there's nothing new here.

This begs a couple questions be answered:

1. Why is Sprint offering basically the same device in two different form factors?

2. Who in their right mind would pay $200 (or more) for a 755P, when they can get a Centro for $99.
    1. Because the treo form factor is very dated, bulky. I wasn't going to go from my 650 to a 755p for just some minor improvements and radio. I am going to go from my 650 to the Centro because it will actually be an upgrade in hardware, form factor and design, plus it is so cheap what have I got to lose.

2. Only hardcore treo users who won't give up the form factor or the battery life will go with a 755p over the Centro.

This was an smart move by Palm. My son would have wanted one of these over his Razr, and it would have been cheaper. Plus for us Treo users who refused to upgrade for the same form factor, they will convince some of us to buy another Palm device. I plan on calling up Sprint to upgrade my plan anyway, and will see if I can get one of these for free if I lock into a new plan (been a customer since 2001).
    It's just a small bandaid.

The wound is still gushing though.

That said, i will be getting one for the wife. She liked my phone from day one..the iphone had poor reception for her and the new red Centro is just what the doctor ordered. Hopefully Sero has it in a few weeks..
    Which was exactly the point I was trying to make with my question. Why would someone shell out $200 for a 755P when a Centro will be sitting right next to it for $99. Doesn't make much sense.

Most people walking into a Sprint store looking for a new phone is going to go for the Centro, no question about it. Someone from TC may opt for a 755P, but we are in a small minority with respect to the cell phone user base. Those 755Ps back in the store room are going to gather alot of dust in the near future.

If the lag is gone then the phone is a winner!! Until the Treo Linux and 800W see the light of day!
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    I bought a 755p 32 months ago and because of Sprints CS I never received the phone and just now got my refund of $250. I will be looking at the Centro for the $99 price and same features of the 755. I'm not a power user but I do check emails 10-12 times a day and some light web browsing. It's got my wife interested also as she was looking at the Katana deluxe but the Centro is cheaper. Also were both moving over from Verizon because they have such a poor choice of phones, I hope they are listening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    ...It's got my wife interested also as she was looking at the Katana deluxe but the Centro is cheaper. ...
    The Katana DLX has been bouncing around between $99 and $129, so it definitely *is* possible to get it for $99. My concern with the Centro's $99 pricing is that it seems to be (at least initially, to the masses), tied to a $25/mo data plan. I know that there will be ways around that, but... from a strictly pricing standpoint, I'm sure the Katana DLX is not more expensive, and certainly in the longterm, at this point... The other phone that is always being compared with the DLX is the Muziq, which is also $99. It's pretty powerful with lots of memory, solid email client and FM transmitter...
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    The other phone that is always being compared with the DLX is the Muziq, which is also $99. It's pretty powerful with lots of memory, solid email client and FM transmitter...

But lacks the keyboard and touch screen. Something the wife is starting to want. She didn't care to much for the 755p as it was to "big" so hopefully with the Centro it will be just right.
    I agree with lnichols. I have a 650 w/ Sprint and am going to ask for a free upgrade since I've been with them for 4 years.

It looks like the connector on the bottom of the Centro is identical to the one on the 650.

So, hopefully, all existing add-on's should work fine.

Specifically, I'm wondering if my Seidio cradle and hard-wired GPS in the car (with TomTom) will be A.O.K. with the upgrade?

The 755p's probably being EOL'ed sooner than later. Unless Sprint sells it for $149 without a new line of service, it's no match for the iPhone zeitgeist. Even customers with no personal interest in the iPhone recognize it as a club they can wield over sales reps as a retention card.
    Ok since it DOES have a touchscreen I retract my previous statement.

I think this is a smart move by Palm. It should tap into a market that has always seen Treo's as either too expensive, too big or maybe even to "geeky". I may even get one. $100 bucks is a great price point.

BTW the 755 is going UP in price to $249 after $100 MIR...I agree with a pervious post, they'll probably gather a lot of dust.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Boy Genius checked it out at Digital Life '07 yesterday at the Javits Center in NYC. He said "...keyboard is absolutely terrible. It feels like it was designed for 6 year olds..."

Here's the BGR take on it.
    As ~Q~ pointed out, the hands-on video shows Dieter thumb typing quite fluidly on the keyboard. The video's more persuasive than BG's rhetorical account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    As ~Q~ pointed out, the hands-on video shows Dieter thumb typing quite fluidly on the keyboard. The video's more persuasive than BG's rhetorical account.
    Ed Hardy is in agreement with Dieter...
    I think some people have written negative reports about this keyboard because the small keys look a bit intimidating. People might have assumed that in order to hit a key you have to very carefully aim. That's not necessary. I just started typing to see how quickly I could go, and had no real problems.
    (Source + Video demonstration of KB)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12